HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:42:26 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Public Recognition  (Read 5037 times)
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« on: June 30, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »

When was the last critically acclaimed DC book or mention?

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »

VIBE for about 3 months, before that ... ANIMAL MAN, WONDER WOMAN, GREEN LANTERN, AQUAMAN, FLASH and BATMAN (Court of Owls arc). Those are the most recent DC 52 titles that have garnered applause and praise. BATWOMAN was really well thought of at first.

But better question, or more pertinent to your recent query, what was the last critically acclaimed book PRIOR to 52?

I hear a lot of people complaining about the new 52, and rightfully so, editorial is a joke and killing DC, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that DC was knocking it out of the park prior to the re-boot.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »

Exactly what was mentioned about these books and where?

I was referencing Neil Gaiman Sandman and Judas Contract attention.

What was acclaimed about these books?

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:04:09 AM »

I was referencing Neil Gaiman Sandman and Judas Contract attention.

Oh, well jeez, didn't know you were shooting for the stars. I thought you meant good books that received critical praise. You want top of the line stuff ... well ... What publisher has put that level out recently? That kinda stuff doesn't come out once a year or anything.

EDIT - How about RED SUN or ALL STAR SUPERMAN? Again, that is not SANDMAN level, but come on.  Grin And as you allowing Vertigo How about FABLES? Again, nowhere near SANDMAN level, but ... Or AUTHORITY or PLANETARY?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:10:39 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:15:07 AM »

Green Lantern: Rebirth, I think. Or was All-Star Superman after that?

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »

Ok,

I was trying to leave a little leeway for books with buzz that make more people check em out.

I liked Aquaman but not enough to follow it regularly.

Just trying to see if New 52 cleared way for great storytelling to take place or just mediocre retellings.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:33:27 AM »

Just trying to see if New 52 cleared way for great storytelling to take place or just mediocre retellings.

Oh it absolutely cleared the way for great storytelling, but with the way these editors are being controlled, there is little chance for it. Poppa Warner Bros. is just killing any momentum DC can gain by forcing editors to force writers to change plans minute to minute.

Add in that, in my opinion, DC is really lacking when it comes to the amount of talent they have at the writers position and it gets even more bleak.

If DC would just do what they want to do, not what they are told to do and hire a new pool of writers (although I do like their latest additions) they would be much better served.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS