HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:46:21 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on DC New 52 at This Point  (Read 13560 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »

I hear ya my man, but with the current editorial at DC, that aint happening. But then again, you can't bitch and moan about "no good stories" when you are apparently not buying at least one that has been, from what I have read, really, really, good.
 Grin 

And what DC is doing about diversity is not unlike what Marvel is doing. They are both taking something that needs to be done and forcing the issue thus making what comes off as gimmick attempts. That fault is not just on DC

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 12:18:56 AM »

Diversity could be better across the board.

DC's mistake was always putting their diverse characters on the First to be Killed list.

Reading the DC that makes sense which is not much these days. I don't know these characters, and DC felt that lack of history & connections between their characters in the shared universe was new wave genius or code for they didn't know either. It's not just the reboot. DC has done that before and better-- it just all still seems so patchwork and slapped together now. Even Young Justice was a good alternate take.

Old/New DC-- I just want it doing better.

I love these characters, and I find most of the current work unreadable. I was someone who wanted the original Huntress back. DC gave me Huntress of Earth 2 which makes almost no sense without the history. Tried the book, but it seems slow and drawn out to me. Cyborg is part of the original JLA now, but I feel like he has not had any story delving into his life and struggles with himself since the Perez Titans. What was point of his inclusion besides a plot device and a character of color?

Earth 2 GL is gay. Ok.

Call it what you will, I am waiting for DC to do something to bring me back. I have waited out bad storylines and decisions before. Went a whole year without WW til she lost the pants. Fun part about DC history is that when all else fails they take the characters back to the basics.

In the meantime, I can't spend money on something in which  I don't believe to be good or is not giving me what I want.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 12:42:14 PM »

Once again I want say editorial is killing DC ...

BIG SPOILERS BELOW FOR  BATMAN INC 12

HERE

I don't care about the gore, I don't care about the blood, hell, I don't care about violent intent of the image... after all it is a "t" rated book (rated for "mild violence" mind you  Roll Eyes), But when DC editors allow Morrison to go off on one of his "fuck you, world" moments by showing a decapitated toddler in a Batman title, then I think they highlighted their incompetence.

Don't kid yourself into thinking - "No, it's not really a child's head. You can plainly see it is an adult with a baby's head". Don't do that. This is Grant Morrison (whom I can love or hate at times) doing his "let's push it and make some noise" style writing, and I am absolutely okay with him doing so, but not in a Batman, or any other, main stream, "super-hero" title. DC editors should have never allowed this to clear.

Now you guys should know I am not apposed to the blood and gore aspect of comics, even though I think in our "hero" books it has gotten a little questionable ... at times, I am still more than fine with it most times. But to have a Batman title give a child's bloody head a panel shot is something that just has me dumbfounded. This is not Vertigo, this is ... Batman?

I know we all have our thresholds, and as a parent (and grandparent) maybe mine was reached a little earlier than you guys, but to me, THIS is a major screw-up on editorial.  

In the past DC editors actually edited. Now they get in the way when they needn't and close their eyes when they shouldn't.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

I do enjoy some of the new twists and variation on characters. I love the current Flash series as well as Worlds' Finest. I loved Ravagers but it was cancelled. I can't stand the current Teen Titans and dropped it months ago. It's not an issue of me being nostalgic and not liking change. I just don't like the change itself. Not every character needed to be warped into something/someone beyond recognition.

How would I fix this? Reverse Flashpoint. It is very possible. I think the character of Pandora was DC's way to have an "out" if sales tanked. She could be the catalyst to reverse this whole debacle. Make the DCnU another of the 52 universes and bring us back our Earths 1, 2, S, Prime, X, etc.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »

Don't hold your breath, Rodney, but fear not, Pandora will somehow do something, somehow, sometime in the future that will spawn the original DC to come forth once more. Putting in the "out" was a smart move by DC ... just in-case ... and even though they swear the new 52 is and shall always be THE DC, we know money changes everything.

I remember when Marvel swore that the Ultimate Universe and the 616 would never meet and if it did, then that meant that Marvel "officially had run out of ideas" (more true than not I suppose), but we know what happened soon after.

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »

Again,

I want DC to be strong and successful in stories and sales.

The characters of new 52 don't even seem to like each other. They seem angry and distrustful. And some of the costumes
Suck hard-- Raven.

I want to like the characters again.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 11:51:31 PM »

Again,

I want DC to be strong and successful in stories and sales.

The characters of new 52 don't even seem to like each other. They seem angry and distrustful. And some of the costumes
Suck hard-- Raven.

I want to like the characters again.

For sure, on all points.

And I hate how all the costumes have those stupid lines and seams all over the place. What's the point?!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:10:49 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 01:39:47 AM »

And I hate how all the costumes have those stupid lines and seams all over the place. What's the point?!

Grin
Jim Lee does love unnecessary lines. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS