HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:54:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marvel does it again  (Read 5317 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 18, 2013, 09:47:47 AM »

Just in case anyone was worried that Marvel may have slipped, they have once more shown us how good they are at getting those green backs from our wallet.

Recent solicit for INFINITY tells us it is a $4.99 book ($2.99 DCBS). That price, recently, has become the norm for "special" issues from both Marvel and DC. The issues at that price also have a few extra pages of story as well as perhaps throwing in a reprint for us old shits to reminisce over. But how Marvel separates themselves from all other pretenders ... how they rationalize that bump in price ... by throwing in the FCBD issue.

Yes, that free issue that just came out, and was ... free ... will be included in this issue and make up for that extra cost they are charging.

Classic.

(And yes, I am getting it)
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »

Price hikes suck, for sure. But in comparison to most other things we buy, comics have actually stayed relatively cheap.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »

Price hikes suck, for sure. But in comparison to most other things we buy, comics have actually stayed relatively cheap.
That's the problem. A lot of people think this is true (or try to convince themselves so they won't feel as bad for buying comics  Cheesy) but it is absolutely not true. The complete opposite for the most part.
Comic's price increase is among the top increasing item in the nation with only cigarettes (and a few other things here and there) as higher. For example -

Item -------- NOW ----1980 ---- Increase %

Comics ----- $3.99 ----- 50¢ ------ 698%
Milk --------  $4.35 ----$1.19 ----- 263%
Gas -------- $3.53 ---- $1.23 ----- 186%
Bread ------ $1.11 ----- 48¢ ------ 131%
Stamp ------- 46¢ ----- 22¢ ------ 109%
Movie Ticket- $7.93 --- $2.69 ----- 195%
Cigarettes -- $5.80 ---- 45¢ -----  1188%

Even housing and cars have not increased close to what comics have. I could go on and on.

Plus in the 90's the % shows an increase in comics more than just about anything. (I had all this somewhere on a spread sheet, but I lost it)
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »

It's still cheaper to buy a comic for entertainment than it is to buy a CD, buy a game, go to a movie, or buy a book.

For any entertainment I'm concerned with, a comic is still the cheapest choice.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »

It's still cheaper to buy a comic for entertainment than it is to buy a CD, buy a game, go to a movie, or buy a book.

For any entertainment I'm concerned with, a comic is still the cheapest choice.

Grin
Sure, but not cheaper by the minute, or value to the dollar, where it falls again. As far as value to cost, comics are just horrible. Horrible. $4 for 10 minutes of entertainment is ludicrous compared those you listed

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »

Okay, I've got no argument for that one.

But I still feel like I get more bang for my buck when I spend $20 on comics rather than $20 for any of those other things.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »

Okay, I've got no argument for that one.

But I still feel like I get more bang for my buck when I spend $20 on comics rather than $20 for any of those other things.

And THAT sir, is why we all keep coming back  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS