HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 06:25:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you....  (Read 3647 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:20 AM »

determine what book to read when.

For the past bunch of yrs I've been getting books on a weekly basis, 4-8 books per week.  pretty easy to sort that many books to see who goes 1st.

however, over the past 3 weeks I have been unavailable to pick up books so when i went into my LCS this week i had a 3 week backlog.  20 books (99% Marvel...I know, I know but i am what i am...sue Smiley )

now this is a bit more of a challenge since I no longer buy books I dont enjoy, tho there are a few on the edge.

basically i break it into familes and then sort by what i want to read first.  this breaks it into managable chucks and then I take the top books in each family and again sort by must reads:

using this methodology, below if my reading order for the Feb releases up to this week.

WALKING DEAD #107...speaks for itself
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #3...i was hesitant but enjoying the book and will give it a bit longer to see where it goes
X-FACTOR #251...Loves me some PAD...varying cast and subplots make this series a joy
SCARLET SPIDER #14...this is a fun title, always liked Kaine in S-M and even more in Spider-Girl.  Chris Yost rarley does me wrong
SECRET AVENGERS #37...last issue in Remenders fantstic run...not picking up the new#1
AVENGERS ARENA #4...didnt want to like this one, but i do.
WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #25...Aarons quicky writing and characterization won me over...Broo rocks
VENOM #31...Flash Thompsom in control (sometimes) of the sysmbiot, Remender set this up so well so i'm giving Bunn some leaway...so far so good thou i'm not blown away 
IRON MAN #6...high on the list because i love the character but Gillem nor hitting it out of the park yet.
UNCANNY X-MEN #1...1st issue...i like bendis for the most part and willing to see where this goes
CAPTAIN AMERICA #4...Remender & Romita Jr...great pairing, big fan of both but would love to see JRjr seperated from Jansen forever.  JR is one of the best storyteller currently in the biz and i would love to see him inked by someone else...maybe Danny Miki
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #4...see #2
X-FACTOR #252...see #3
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #4...liking Waids take on this so far, just want to see a hullk beside SMASH...i like my hulks with personality
AVENGERS #5...Hickman is way out there but I'm liking the new characters and set up
ALL NEW X-MEN #7...was not sure this was going to work but i kind of like it...issue 6 was great
NEW AVENGERS #3...illuminati together and getting into trouble...connected but not to Avengers storyline...i like how Hickamn is weaving these together
CABLE AND X-FORCE #4...not sure but i;ll give it a few more issues as I really like the characters involved...Forge, Colossus, Cable and Hope among others...also a fan of Larroca
AVENGERS #6...see above
BTVS SEASON 9 #18...got a soft spot for Buffy and the book is pretty good...only reason its on the bottom is I need to refresh and reread the last couple issues to catch up.  for some reason it always get pushed to the bottom but once i read it i wonder why because it is fun.

there you go...so how do you make the hard choice as to what to read when?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »

I get my shipment of comics once a month so I have to do this all the time.  I've found that I vary from month to month but as a general rule I sort them all by company first; sort of:  DC, Marvel, all others except Valiant, and then Valiant.  I then normally sort them by the week they came out within those categories.  I actually read mine in the reverse that you do.  I put the one's I care about the least at the beginning and build up to the one's I want to read the most.

For example - if my shipment for this month came today I'd likely read them in this order:

BATMAN #17 (DOTF)    13-Feb
SUICIDE SQUAD #17    13-Feb
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #17   20-Feb

ALL NEW X-MEN #7 NOW    6-Feb
AVENGERS #5 NOW    6-Feb
X-FACTOR #251    6-Feb
CABLE AND X-FORCE #4 NOW    13-Feb
FANTASTIC FOUR #4 NOW    13-Feb
SECRET AVENGERS #1 NOW    13-Feb
AVENGERS #6 NOW    20-Feb
DAREDEVIL #23    20-Feb
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #4 NOW    20-Feb
NEW AVENGERS #3 NOW    20-Feb
X-FACTOR #252       20-Feb

HIT-GIRL #5 (OF 5) (MR)    6-Feb
BEDLAM #4 (MR)    13-Feb
CYBER FORCE #3    13-Feb
FATALE #12 (MR)    13-Feb
MANHATTAN PROJECTS #9    13-Feb
WALKING DEAD #107 (MR)    13-Feb
HAPPY #4 (OF 4) (MR)    20-Feb

HARBINGER  #0    6-Feb
BLOODSHOT  #8   13-Feb
HARBINGER  #9   20-Feb

Sometimes I'll go ahead and group double issues together - for instance, I may bump X-Factor 251 down the list next to X-Factor 252 so I can read them back to back.

Another divergent from the norm would be for crossovers.  I would normally bump them to the top of the publisher list and read them in the order they cam out.  (Like Avengers vs X-Men did recently)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »

I never have this problem. I have the opposite problem. I read everything too fast, then I want to spend more on back issues; which I'm trying to get under control.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »

As I also get my books monthly, I base my "how and when" on a few different factors, but at first I set them up to read in relation to my mood at the time. I mean if I am wanting a humor book or a drama book or an action book or in the case of Morrison and Hickman, if I want a thinking book.
 Cheesy
Of course what inevitably happens is I change my reading order up about 5 times  Grin and I end up reading them in no standard order, but I do have norms that I seem to follow.

My first book usually ends up being a book without ties to another story. Whether that is FATALE or MANHATTAN PROJECTS (when I use to buy the monthlies) or HAWKEYE or DD, I tend to read a book featuring a story that will not, usually, expand past its innate singular structure. Will not span into other titles, or if it does ... like in BATMAN, I don't have the rest of the tie-in stories to read so I am not bound to read them.
 Grin

Like Jeff, I usually end up reading my Valiant issues last. I just enjoy diving into that universe and not breaking away. I have no problem going from Marvel to Image, back to Marvel to DC, back to Marvel or whatever, but when I read the Valiant books I want to start and end in that universe without interruption. Not sure why that is, but I do enjoy reading all of those titles in succession.

As for the rest? That IS usually just a mood thing. It really does depend on how I am feeling at the time.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS