HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:26:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: February Pre-Orders  (Read 13484 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 03:15:14 AM »

I gave in.  

Put New Avengers back on the list.  I've gotta have some Hickman in there and that was my favorite of his stuff last month.

It put me over my self imposed limit by $2.37 but I'm ok with it.  I have a feeling Bedlam will drop off shortly anyway.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

Put New Avengers back on the list.  I've gotta have some Hickman in there and that was my favorite of his stuff last month.

Wait until you read Issue #3!!!! Superb ending ... or last page I mean.  Smiley

I am really struggling with adjective-less AVENGERS however. I don't mind, and in fact really enjoy nonlinear story-telling, but for some reason, that title still seems discombobulated, disjointed and dysfunctional to me. I think it maybe the lack of any kind of characterization and just all-out action that leaves me wanting. I know all the characters, save the new Smasher, so I don't need character emotion, personal insight or framing, but I miss it non-the-less.

I want to drop it, but it is really starting to tie into NEW AVENGERS so I know here shortly I will be pissed when Hickman goes full cross-over. I don't know however, it may still end up being cut. I am just not enjoying it, so why spend time and money on it?
  Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »

Plus - it's 2 issues a month while New Avengers is only one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 01:00:22 AM »

Plus - it's 2 issues a month while New Avengers is only one.

Yep

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 02:34:02 AM »

I got DCBS to add these to my order from the Jan Previews.  This way I don't miss an issue.

NEW AVENGERS #4 NOW
ALL NEW X-MEN #8 NOW
ALL NEW X-MEN #9 NOW

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »

Now I know that had to put you over your $30 self imposed limit. May as well make it $40 a month from now on. Whats $10? Nothin. Have water instead of a Pepsi with lunch a few days a month and you'll save that in no-time.
 Wink

Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 06:34:24 PM »

Now I know that had to put you over your $30 self imposed limit. May as well make it $40 a month from now on. Whats $10? Nothin. Have water instead of a Pepsi with lunch a few days a month and you'll save that in no-time.
 Wink

Grin

$39.54 -  Angry    Cheesy

But that's just to get caught up.  It'll be under $30 from now on.  Yeah, yeah....that's the ticket....

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »

Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »

Dropped DAREDEVIL and AVENGERS.
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »

Dropped DAREDEVIL.....
 Undecided

Ouch - I bet that was a hard one for you...

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »

Dropped DAREDEVIL.....
 Undecided

Ouch - I bet that was a hard one for you...

Easier than I thought it would be. Just have not enjoyed the Foggy Matt interactions. Yes, Waid explained some of that away, nicely, but with the new cosmic stuff coming from Marvel, and me being oddly over-excited about it, it made it a little easier to drop a street level character (which I usually prefer).

Of course, I now have SECRET AVENGERS to fill some, just a tad, of that "street level" void as it is really just S.H.E.I.L.D by another name. Issue 1 was great with a nice semi-twist ending.
(Not sure if you pre-ordered it, and not trying to get you to add yet another title, but next time you are in your LCS, pick it up and Byrne steal that puppy. Was a sweet, done-in-one issue)

EDIT - I see you did pre-order it and it will be in your next shipment!  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:54:15 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »

Well, that AVENGERS pull-list drop may not have lasted even 24 hours for me. I see where Nick Spencer is coming on as "co-writer" with issue 12. I have seen this "co-writer" function as "transitional" writer too many times before, so this maybe another example. Not saying Spencer WILL be taking over the title, but as there is a chance, I think I may keep this on the pull a little while longer.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but ...  Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »

Added AVENGERS back on and at the last minute, dropped SECRET AVENGERS (Found out Hulk was going to be on the team) to add NOVA. Yes, a Jeph Loeb book. I originally had no interest in that title, and there were a couple reasons for that.

For one, I am usually not a fan of Marvel's younger characters (No idea why that is, as I usually enjoy DC's) so having a book featuring a younger Nova was not something I was keen on reading. I enjoyed Nova in the past, but had no draw to reading a title featuring a teenage space voyager.

Another reason, and the bigger of the two, was when I saw that Loeb was the one writing it. I have enjoyed many a Jeph Loeb title in the past, but I have not enjoyed the last 3 or 4 books he has written, at all. They have really left a sour taste in my mouth ... perhaps I should stop licking my comics?  Cheesy

However, with my recent draw towards the cosmic Marvel, a part of me was still kinda curious about this title, so I hit up my boy Dave (who buys about every book out there) to see if I can scope out this issue.

I just finished. I just added it to my pull.

I think this is, perhaps, the best book Loeb has written in years. It is certainly the best in the last 3 or 4 titles I have read. And while it isn't grand in scope and it doesn't blow other books out of the water with its depth, it does harken back to his SUPERMAN/BATMAN run in that its a really fun read. And sometimes, that is plenty.
 Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS