HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:22:52 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best (and worst) Marvel event?  (Read 6337 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »

Ran into this on another thread and it got me thinking. What was you favorite and least favorite Marvel comic event?

I wasn't around comics from about '92-'99 or so, as I felt the industry just was not what I wanted to be involved in, so I may not have a great list of "hated events" from that era (or, to be fair, 'great events' from that era), so keep that in mind, as you may show me something I need to get. Either way, I am kinda interested on your takes.

For me:
Best - SECRET WARS
Now I may have a lot of 'favorites', but I think that one event was one of my TOP favorites  Grin. I am not sure if it was the story, which was cool ... especially back then, or the fact that it as a self contained story that did nothing to interfere with the writers of the other monthly titles. Was really cool, however, on the month before it came out, they showed all the heroes just popping out on the last panel of their books, with a note that said something like 'to find out what just happened to Spidey, read Contest of Champions, on stands now!'
 Grin

Wanted to add Kraven's Last Hunt as an honorable mention, but that was just Spidey specific, not a true event or crossover.

Also, props have to go out to EVOLUTIONARY WAR. Not a great event (though not as bad as some say) but really liked the way it was just in all the Annuals. That was a nice way to tell a huge character crossover story, with-out screwing up the regular titles. Plus it made the Annuals actually worth reading.
 Cheesy

Worst - FEAR ITSELF
What made this so bad for me? That it was sooo damn boring and I felt no 'fear' about anything happening. This was just a chore to get through, and I don't think I ever did, and I barely remember anything about it (as proven in another thread)... and it happened not long ago.

I also wanted to list INFINITY CRUSADE, as I was so damn disappointed in that one. I had found myself in a comic store a few years back and found the trade. Having really enjoyed the Gauntlet and War offerings, I jumped at it. Not sure if it was me reading it years after it's release or if it was just that bad, but ... ewww ... it was bad.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »

For me:
Best - SECRET WARS
Now I may have a lot of 'favorites', but I think that one event was one of my TOP favorites  Grin. I am not sure if it was the story, which was cool ... especially back then, or the fact that it as a self contained story that did nothing to interfere with the writers of the other monthly titles. Was really cool, however, on the month before it came out, they showed all the heroes just popping out on the last panel of their books, with a note that said something like 'to find out what just happened to Spidey, read Contest of Champions, on stands now!'
 Grin

Same here.  There's just SO much going on for those 12-issues.  Zero down time.  Lots of character interaction.  And lots of action, period.

Though I never read SW 2 (and hear that I shouldn't) I have to say there were some books in that crossover I did enjoy.  Especially from Web of Spider-Man, Power Man & Iron Fist, and Daredevil.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »

HAHAHA.
Just realized I said Contest of Champions instead of Secret Wars in my "last panel" description. I am such an idiot.
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »

HAHAHA.
Just realized I said Contest of Champions instead of Secret Wars in my "last panel" description. I am such an idiot.
 Angry

I was wondering.

At least you didn't say CoC 2.  Wink
(Though I still say that Hulk vs. Reed scene was bad ass.)

The thing I remember most about the first CoC was issue one where Machine Man and Vision had a conversation.  They spoke about being in a far smaller minority than mutants and no one else seemingly relating to their position in society - or something to that effect (it's admittedly been years since I read it).  A cool idea by Mark Gruenwald (or one of the editors) that could be explored more.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »

I remember COC for having some great J.R.JR art (back when he was good) and for the D.D. fight out in the snow.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »

Unlike most comic fans today, I actually enjoy a good crossover event. I love seeing all those characters interacting and what menace is big and bad enough to take them all on. But only if they're well written, and plenty of them, unfortunately, haven't been well written.

Good Events:
-Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars (the original)
-The Infinity Gauntlet
-The Infinity War
-Fatal Attractions
-The Age of Apocalypse (the original)
-Heroes Reborn: The Return (neat little mini that was overlooked by most, because admittedly the rest of Heroes Reborn sucked)
-House of M
-Civil War
-Annihilation & Annihilation: Conquest
-War of Kings
-Thanos: Imperative

Bad Events:
-Avengers vs. X-Men
-Contest of Champions I & II
-Secret Wars II
-The Infinity Crusade (Yeah, it was bad Perry. And if the 2 of us can agree on that, then it's gotta be REALLY bad.)
-Siege
-Fear Itself
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:41:55 PM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »

-The Infinity Crusade (Yeah, it was bad Perry. And if the 2 of us can agree on that, then it's gotta be REALLY bad.)

Cheesy
Preach it, brotha. Tell it like it is!!!!
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS