HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:52:24 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Commodore 64  (Read 3598 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: November 15, 2012, 05:32:12 AM »

I just picked up one these at Goodwill this week for a measly $4. I ordered a power cable (which must be 20 lbs) on eBay which should be here any day now. Can't wait to get it plugged in play around with it.

I used to play on a Commodore 64 at school all the time as a kid. I played the heck out B.C.'s Quest For Tires, Blue Max, and especially The Swiss Family Robinson. I learned BASIC computer language on C64 because you had to have a basic understanding of it to run the programs properly. A few years later I got one with a butt-load of games and the floppy drive; unfortunately, not with the 3 aforementioned games, but it was still awesome to sample all the new ones (new to me at least). But it eventually died and only wanted to give me a black screen when I turned it on.

I've been without one for quite a few years now, so it was just an incredible find at Goodwill! Here's to hoping it actually works when the power cable gets here. All the connections looked good, and the unit itself was in surprisingly good cosmetic condition. So for only $4, it seemed like a good gamble.

What sucks though, is that I don't have a floppy drive. The unit itself does have a cartridge slot that I can use, but far more games were released on floppy disk than on cartridge for the C64. Maybe one day I'll run across one of these.

Anyone else use the Commodore 64 or still own one? What were some of your favorite games on it? Frankly, I could use some suggestions. When I played the C64, it was already well past it's prime. So I wasn't around as the games were being released and only played what I had available to me.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »

Don't know if anyone was curious or not, but just wanted to report that I got the power cord and it works! Now all I need to do is track-down a floppy drive for it. I already have a cartridge game for it, though (which plugs into the back of the computer, no floppy needed): Dig Dug! Much better than the Atari 2600 version and much closer to the actual arcade.

I think my Atari 2600 joystick is broken, though. That's what I was using for the Dig Dug on C64 and it didn't seem to respond properly. I haven't used my Atari 2600 joystick in years because I prefer to use my Sega Genesis controller when playing 2600; which is compatible on Atari 2600 for some odd reason, but the Sega controller isn't compatible on the C64 while an Atari 2600 joystick is, go figure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS