HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:16:58 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread  (Read 6344 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: October 24, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »

This is the thread to figure why certain issues are worth so much. Sometimes it's obvious like the death of a character or a key event. But sometimes, it's not so obvious.

I'm wondering why this guy is worth so much:

I realize that it's an early Thanos story, and Thanos is a pretty popular villain. But this particular issue I'm finding in the $50 range. And that's pretty much out of my price range. And the issue that precedes it in the storyline (Avengers Annual #7) also features Thanos and isn't worth nearly as much.

It's a little annoying because I have like all the significant Thanos, Warlock, and Captain Marvel issues from the 70s except for this one.

Nobody debuts or dies in this issue, either. Well, Thanos does. But we all know that Thanos has walked the line between life and death many times over because he's Death's consort. So that doesn't really mean anything. And this was a worth a pretty penny before The Avengers movie came out, so it's not because Thanos showed up there.

Any ideas anyone?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:22:48 PM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »

This is the only thing I could find that might explain it.....

" First appearances of Master Order and Lord Chaos. Avengers Lineup: Beast, Captain America, Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, Thor, and the Vision. (Note: Besides a surreal appearance in the Death of Captain Marvel Graphic Novel (1982), Thanos does not appear again until Silver Surfer (2nd series) 34 many years later.) "

Sadly - I had this issue back in my initial collection in the 80's which went to the dumpster when I thought I was too old for comics.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »

IT is the end of a storyline that has the creator Starlin drawing and writing. It is also, along with the AVENGERS ANNUAL #7 (Also by Starlin), more rare than the regular issues that also contained the storyline the first part of the arc - WARLOCK 9-11 (Also Starlin), STRANGE TALES 178-181 (also by Starlin) and MARVEL TEAM-UP.

And the issue that precedes it in the storyline (Avengers Annual #7) also features Thanos and isn't worth nearly as much.

I have both listed at $75 in the last Overstreet
Huh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:55:25 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »

You can get a FINE copy of the Marvel Two in One at mycomicshop.com for $30.00.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »

Yeah, that's what it graded at.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »

IT is the end of a storyline that has the creator Starlin drawing and writing. It is also, along with the AVENGERS ANNUAL #7 (Also by Starlin), more rare than the regular issues that also contained the storyline the first part of the arc - WARLOCK 9-11 (Also Starlin), STRANGE TALES 178-181 (also by Starlin) and MARVEL TEAM-UP.

And the issue that precedes it in the storyline (Avengers Annual #7) also features Thanos and isn't worth nearly as much.

I have both listed at $75 in the last Overstreet
Huh

Surprise, Overstreet isn't accurate. They haven't been for years.

I've had my eye on it for a while, yet had no problem getting a hold of Avengers Annual #7 for under $10.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »

Ha.
Okay. Couldn't be you just got a great deal could it? Or maybe you got one not close to NM?

Most sites have the NM copy listed at or near that price I stated (usually a tad more to make margin). Hell even MyComicShop.com has the VF listed at $42 (a tad higher than Overstreet's $35) and they are one of the 5 companies that know a little something about the supply and demand side of things.

But hey, with the deal you got, please tell us where you found it so maybe we can all get similar deals.
 Smiley

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:15:54 AM »

Ha.
Okay. Couldn't be you just got a great deal could it? Or maybe you got one not close to NM?

Most sites have the NM copy listed at or near that price I stated (usually a tad more to make margin). Hell even MyComicShop.com has the VF listed at $42 (a tad higher than Overstreet's $35) and they are one of the 5 companies that know a little something about the supply and demand side of things.

But hey, with the deal you got, please tell us where you found it so maybe we can all get similar deals.
 Smiley

If you're buying at (or above Overstreet) then you're so getting ripped off. I personally buy from ComicCollectorLive.com, best deals on the web. But even without that, you can find issues on eBay for well under Overstreet listed prices.

Overstreet is simply out-of-date. Places like eBay and Amazon are really where the realistic price guide is at. That shows what people are actually paying for books in real-time, rather than once a year which is just too far apart in today's modern marketplace. Overstreet is a dinosaur when it comes to pricing. It's still great for reference when looking up issue number, deaths, 1st appearances, etc. though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:17:40 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:37:16 AM »

No, you never buy at or above Overstreets price, unless you really want it, but that still does not diminish the fact that it is a tool that shows the value of the books based on how the books are trending in the industry, based on retailers and online sites that actually sell the product. You also never buy a car for more than its Kelley Blue Book, but that doesn't mean that they are not showing you the value of the car based on more factors than just a persons opinion or how that car is selling this month.

And your CCL site is merely a brokerage site. Most of the books the help solicit for sales are based in no small part to the very publication you are slamming. Using Ebay and Amazon is a great way to get some great deals ... occasionally, but they are not ... I repeat ... they are not the litmus test of comic value. You using them to base value on comics is no different than using the now defunct Wizard magazine and its monthly "what's hot" crap.

Again, yes deals are out there, but collectors, much like smart stock buyers, don't worry about the monthly fluctuations in the market, they worry about the yearly dividends, shares and rate of return.
 Wink  

EDIT - Also, your comment about how "Ebay and Amazon are really where the realistic price guide is at" is a misnomer. There are way too many variables for that to be true. Such as:
Rating of seller?
Timing of sell?
Shipping costs?
Accuracy of comic?
Holiday week?
Bid battle?
plus countless other factors that can change and thus not show true value accurately

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:43:43 AM by Perry » Logged

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »

No, you never buy at or above Overstreets price, unless you really want it, but that still does not diminish the fact that it is a tool that shows the value of the books based on how the books are trending in the industry, based on retailers and online sites that actually sell the product. You also never buy a car for more than its Kelley Blue Book, but that doesn't mean that they are not showing you the value of the car based on more factors than just a persons opinion or how that car is selling this month.

And your CCL site is merely a brokerage site. Most of the books the help solicit for sales are based in no small part to the very publication you are slamming. Using Ebay and Amazon is a great way to get some great deals ... occasionally, but they are not ... I repeat ... they are not the litmus test of comic value. You using them to base value on comics is no different than using the now defunct Wizard magazine and its monthly "what's hot" crap.

Again, yes deals are out there, but collectors, much like smart stock buyers, don't worry about the monthly fluctuations in the market, they worry about the yearly dividends, shares and rate of return.
 Wink  

EDIT - Also, your comment about how "Ebay and Amazon are really where the realistic price guide is at" is a misnomer. There are way too many variables for that to be true. Such as:
Rating of seller?
Timing of sell?
Shipping costs?
Accuracy of comic?
Holiday week?
Bid battle?
plus countless other factors that can change and thus not show true value accurately

I'm a collector and the only thing I care about is getting a comic for as cheap as I can get in good condition. I don't care about "yearly dividends". These are comics we're talking about, not stocks. What you're describing sounds more like a comic speculator, to me.

You're absolutely right about all those factors being an issue in the price of a comic. A lot of those factors are true whether buying online or in Joe's Comic Shop down the road. It actually shows why eBay, Amazon, and other sellers are more accurate. They keep up with those fluctuations, while Overstreet is a year behind them all. For example: another show like Walking Dead becomes hot on T.V., and suddenly the first issue of that series triples in value.

And I don't think you quite understand how CCL works. CCL doesn't promote any comics. They promote their collection software and that's it. All the comics for sale are sold by users that have online shops on the website. There are PLENTY of issues sold WELL below Overstreet value there. I'm getting issues well below $1 a piece on most Copper or Modern Era (whatever you prefer to call them) books, and Bronze Age books for not much more. There's also over-priced books on there too, it all depends on what seller you buy them from.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »

I'm a collector and the only thing I care about is getting a comic for as cheap as I can get in good condition. I don't care about "yearly dividends". These are comics we're talking about, not stocks. What you're describing sounds more like a comic speculator, to me.

You obviously missed the analogy. I was stating how comics that fluctuate month to month, will settle to a set increase or decrease in value overtime. That is not speculation.

Of course collectors try and get the best deal, but tell me, when you have to go and sell your books (hopefully never) are you going to try and use the same, cheapest value listed or are you going to use something that provides you with the most money? If so ... whatever will you use?

For example: another show like Walking Dead becomes hot on T.V., and suddenly the first issue of that series triples in value.

That is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Month to month fluctuations in value does NOT have a lasting effect on value. I remember when that freakin Todd McFarlane Spider-Man #1 was selling for outrageous amounts of money. Look at it now. Speaking of which, do you remember what SPAWN #1 was going for? Look at that now.

I just sold the first 6 issues of that crap AVENGERS vs X-MEN on Ebay and got more money than I was ever expecting, but in 2 years, you can buy those books in a dollar bin. I just sold my issues of FATALE (1-8) on Ebay for $48. That is about the same amount I sold my issues of CRIMINAL for a few years ago (same writer, same artist). You can now get those Criminal issues for the cheap on Ebay. What are the chances that FATALE does the same? Worrying about value in the short term is short sighted. Collectors concern themselves with the long term value ... if they are thinking value in the first place. Some collect for enjoyment and the cost or value is not an issue. 

It is just like all the people rushing to get all the Thanos books they can because of the AVENGERS MOVIE (Not saying you are one of those ... I just know a couple). Sure, you can make some money, on those books ... that are going to fluctuate month in and month out, but in 10 years, they will settle back down to their appropriate value.

Now True, going back to your example ... WALKING DEAD #1 will (should) maintain it's high margins, but that is mainly due to two factors, not JUST because of the show, but the amount that was originally printed. Looking at it month to month ... sounds like you are talking like a comic speculator
 Grin

That is all Ebay and Amazon work off of, current SPECULATION of value.
"What ... 8 people are looking for this issue? QUICK RAISE THE PRICE AND SELL!!!!"
That is not actual value.

And I don't think you quite understand how CCL works. CCL doesn't promote any comics. They promote their collection software and that's it. All the comics for sale are sold by users that have online shops on the website.

Cheesy
Yes, I am aware of what CCL is. Again, the analogy is lost.

Anyway, getting to the point where we are tracking back over ourselves so I will leave you to it.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS