HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:51:01 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BLOODSHOT  (Read 6366 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 18, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »

ISSUE #1

I found this to be a very well drawn title, with an interesting, yet confusing, first issue. Again, I never read any of the old Valiant comics, as I was totally out of comics during their run, so I am new to all this and that may have led to ... well ...

This group, Project Rising Spirit, has created a walking man of destruction, Bloodshot, complete with internal nanites that repair injury and allow him to access computers and such. Of course, the also f'd up his brain pretty damn good. Gave him memories of families (yes, plural) and friends he has never met.

Unfortunately, while trying to show us how this group has screwed with the mind of the main character, the writer kinda screwed with my mind as well. I was getting a little lost between what was happening in current time, what was just a memory and what was just a false memory imbedding in the main characters brain.

This may have just been that I was reading this at 2:30 in the morning and was pretty much brain fried from the day, so I chalked it up as me just being tired more than the writer doing a poor job (I do like the writer by the way - Duane Swierczynski)

I was going to re-read the issue the next day, but decided to peak through issue #2 first. Glad I did.

Issue #2

One of the best parts of this issue was the "Previously in Bloodshot" first page. It explained, with perfection, what had transpired in issue #1. I was able to understand what I had read, without having to go back and read that issue again. IT brought me right up to speed and I was able to enjoy this issue, and this title, a lot more.

This issue we see how vicious our main character can be as he goes through a group of eight military men like they were nothing. Very brutal.

This guy is like Punisher mixed with Wolverine, both in resolve and mental "screwed up'ness"  Grin  (Also has to deal with guys similar to project X, so there is that)

This was a much more enjoyable issue, as I understand what is going on now as well as the characters are getting more fleshed out and enjoyable. We are also introduced to another powerful character in this issue, but don't see her specialty until ...

ISSUE #3

First off, I mentioned how this guy kinda reminds me a little of PUNISHER and the cover of this issue really drives that feeling home in look and tone.

If that doesn't scream Frank Castle ...  Grin

What that cover doesn't show is just how screwed in the head our main character is. His head is full of lies built upon lies, but he is starting to use that to his advantage. Starting to listen more and more to the 'voices' of his 'Family' and starting to use those little nanites inside his body for more than just a healing factor.

After starting out with a less than stellar first issue, this title (along with HARBINGER) has easily made it on to my pull list. This month I have another Valiant title heading my way in SHADOWMAN. I hope it also makes its way there as well.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »

Dang.  Didn't realize Swierczy was writing this (or I just forgot).

Will probably be adding this as I loved his Cable series.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »

Might check out the trade.

On a slightly off topic question: Is anyone else kind of tired of "healing factors"?

Comic companies should just make a series called "Healing Factors."  Every issue the character(s) find new and worse ways to get injured and heal from it to be more "bad @$$."

It will go along great with another comic called "Prep Time."  It's Batman-ish characters beating folks they have no business beating because they have "prep time."

Sorry for the rant.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »

Might check out the trade.

I succumbed and ordered all the back issues pre-Perry review.  Couldn't help myself.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »

I picked up issue 5 yesterday.  Now if I can only find the time to read issues 1, 2, 3, & 4 that are sitting in my stack.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »

Understand that.
I still haven't looked at a single book from last months shipment. Need to resolve that quick. T-Day is a'comin and I know that will kill even more "free time"
 Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »

I finally read the first 5 issues.  I like it.  Pretty standard plot but I'm enjoying the journey.  I'll be on this for awhile.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 04:33:46 AM »

BLOODSHOT issue #6

Boo-Yaa and panty paste, this issue rocked it.

First, let me say how much I am really enjoying Manuel Garcia's art on this book. As much as I have praised all the Valiant titles, I would feel remiss if I didn't mention how much I like his clean, precise, yet often over the top style. He brings it full force month after month.

Now, for the issue itself, boy did we get to see some body damage here! Loved it. How many times have you seen a broken arm used as a weapon? Well I just did in this issue, and it actually made me whisper; "cool". I don't often talk to myself (answer myself even less), but this series keeps me doing just that. It seems like every other page I am talking, out loud, to no-one, about how good this book is. If this keeps up, I will need my own 'kid' nanite persona to have conversations with.

One minor complaint. The cover. The cover just gives away the "surprise" ending a little bit too much. We know what is going to be 'behind the wall' before we even opened the book. I mean, if it would have happened earlier in the book it would not have been as off-putting, but having a reveal towards the end of the book, after showing us the reveal on the cover, makes that reveal revokable and remotely less a resounding revelation. Really.
 Wink

Other than that, a grand addition to my short box.

8 outta 10 children of the corn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS