HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:33:55 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Terrible Writing  (Read 3305 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: October 02, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »

What's some of the worst writing you've come across in your comic reading?

I came across one of the laziest, worst example of terrible writing in a comic that I've seen in a loooong time.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise considering what I was reading, but I wanted to know an important part of Guy Gardner's history, so I bought it for dirt cheap to read it anyways. It was "The Way of the Warrior" storyline that ran through Justice League America, Guy Gardner: Warrior, and Hawkman in the mid-90s. Supposedly it tells the origin of the Vuldarians and Guy's weird alien powers he had then, which is why I wanted to read it.

Here's the bad writing part:

At the end of Part 1, the final panel shows Arisia dying in Tiger Man's arms after being attacked, and Guy Gardner's powers completely spazzing out and him being a genetic mess on the ground. So then I go to open Part 2, and there's no mention of Arisia AT ALL, and Guy Gardner is A-Okay with absolutely zero explanation and is about to lead a team to counter-attack the aliens that just attacked them.

...WTF?! DC just ignores the cliffhanger ending of Part 1 and pretends it never happened, IN THE SAME STORYLINE?! I just put it down and stopped reading after that.

What are some of the worst that you've read?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »

One that instantly comes to mind ...

One of the most poorly paced, structured and written comics in existence. In fact, I swore off anything written by Hurwitz from that point on, but reluctantly, years later, peaked in on his MOON KNIGHT and found it tons better than I thought it would be. (I also hear his PENGUIN: PAIN AND PREJUDICE is pretty good)

And then there's ...

*shiver*
 Roll Eyes

Yuk, now I will have those damn comics in my head all day.  Angry

Cheesy

Oh yeah, also bad ... 90% of everything DC or Marvel produced between 1993 and 1998  Tongue
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »

Got another one to add to this thread that I just read:

Contest of Champions II

An absolute turd. I should have known with how bad the first Contest of Champions was, but I thought with Chris Claremont writing this might have a chance. But I was sorely wrong. Cheesy as hell dialogue. People completely saying all their thoughts out loud, even if there was nobody else there like bad Golden Age dialogue.

Even the outcome of the battles were bogus. Wonder Man vs. Black Widow and they have Black Widow win it...against a guy that could take on Superman if wanted. Quicksilver vs. Gambit, and they have Gambit win. How in the hell could Gambit even land one of his cards on Quicksilver?! And they were boring, only a few panels long and some even being a single panel.

This was pathetic and I can't believe Claremont agreed to put his name on it. Stay far, far away from this one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS