HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 04:52:11 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HARBINGER  (Read 7956 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 15, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »

Got to be honest and say that when Valiant first arrived on the scene back in the 90's, I was pretty much out of comics totally and missed out, or didn't miss a thing depending on who you talk to. And even when Valiant returned to producing monthlies, this past summer, I didn't buy in. But after previewing an issue of BLOODSHOT (just the first 4 or 5 pages), I decided the time was now. Time to try this little companies product.

I read the first issue of X-O and was less than thrilled, so I avoided adding that to my pull, but I did add BLOODSHOT, ARCHER & ARMSTRONG and HARBINGER.

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG didn't grab me as much as I had hoped, so it didn't stay on the pull (Though I still have a couple more issues already heading my way, so that could change), but one title that has me hook line and sinker after issue 1 is HARBINGER.

HARBINGER #1

This was a fantastic comic. The first few pages pulled me right in. Highlighted by this Monk that never stops bleeding, yet never dies. I often talk (mostly to myself  Grin) about how reading Marvel and DC is getting harder for me because of the missing "Wow ... that is cool" moments, well the bleeding monk was just such a moment. Not grandiose, but just damn cool.

Also like the fact that the main character, or what I presume will be the main character, is not a great guy. He is like Charles Xavier (has psionic powers ... mind control and the like) but with very selfish goals at times. For example, he gets back in touch with this girl he kissed ... back when they were pre-teens, experimenting as kids will do ... He says he loves her, she jokes and mocks him and tells him they were just kids, but he doesn't end it there. He screws up her mind and makes the girl fall in love with him ... just so he can bed that thang.
 Grin

Also like that this guy is taking all kinds of drugs to keep all the voices he hears under control.

Man, I know I am rambling, as is my way, but I just really enjoyed this issue. Especially for a number 1. They are harder to get a great rating due to the fact they have to set up so much. I easily give this the Perry approval.

8 outta 10 Oxycontin !!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »

Just finished issues 1 & 2.

Yeah - I see why your jazzed about this one.  Well written, good art, great story and characters.

Another Perry reccomendation that delivers.  I'm on board.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »

Cool
Sadly ... I may have another one with BLOODSHOT. Looks freaking great, but waiting to read issue #1 (On it's way ... next week) before I start on the rest. I was late jumping on so I had to back-order #1.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34:27 AM »

Funny you say that because the ads for bloodshot in harbinger look good.  Can't wait to hear what you think because it means I can save my money for another month.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »

Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »

Issues 3 & 4

A whole organization of psiots?  Yes, this is cool.  This is the type of super hero story the big two should be producing.  You don't need gimmicks to sell books when the story is good.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »

I still await my issues 3 and 4.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »

Just realized I had issue #3 in my pile.
 Shocked

ISSUE #3

Don't have to be part of Harbinger to see a conflict in the near future  Grin The Bleeding Monk has informed us that our hero will soon be the destroyer of all things the company holds dear. Going to be interesting to see more of the Ops involved in the company, and see who sides with what side. I think Hardwire (able to control machines) will fall in with our lead character, while Ion sides against.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:54:13 AM »

Issue #4

Wowza, things get ramped up in this issue. After last issues exposition, the ending of this issue really made me sit up in my chair. Powerful stuff. I think we can honestly say GAME ON!!! Go get 'em Pete!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »

Wow, I didn't comment on issues 5 or 6? Hmmm

ISSUE #7

The team is increasing with more bodies as we come across the fire inducing "slut" that may (will) join the team. I dated a few of these stripper types back in my heyday, but luckily non of them transformed my crotch into a bonfire that you could roast marshmallows off of. Yes, that is a double entendre.   Wink No burning down below in any form. but then again, I didn't treat them like our boy did in this issue either. Never hit a woman is the lesson here. No matter how many times she leaves the house without telling you.

Art this month was not as good as usual, but close enough to our normal style that there was no jarring difference. Sort of like what DAREDEVIL and WONDER WOMAN have been doing; using artist with similar styles thus lessening the contrast.

Over all, another fine issue from a fine company

7 outta 10 smoking hot pole-dancers

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »

Well, sadly, time for me to dump my Valiant monthlies.

The good news ... I am sure this is just the start and I look forward to buying every title again (but in this, more preferred fashion!!)

Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

Issue 16's preview looks very interesting ...

CLICKY

What in the ... ?? (For those not in the know, the guy in the bed is paralyzed. Makes this beating a little more ... intense)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »

Oh yeah and with a skate board.  Yikes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS