HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:32:46 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Character/Team Initially Got You Into Comic Books?  (Read 4876 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: August 31, 2012, 07:18:44 AM »

What character or team initially got you into comic books or first grabbed your interest?

For me it was Superman. I was very young and I started reading (or rather looking at) comics at like 4 or 5 years old. My dad was a comic collector so I looked at his. Around the same age I also saw Superman II at the drive-in with my family in a triple-feature along with Masters of the Universe and The Monster Squad. Quite the showing, and all 3 movies are still nostalgic favorites for me. So Superman II left a big impression on me. I couldn't get enough Superman. And due to the similarities in powers, I also started really getting into Captain Marvel (Shazam!). And from there my comic love expanded and grew.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »

For me it was either the Super Friends or the old Adam West Batman series.

The first Comic Books I got hooked on was Flash in the late 70's and then Wolfman & Perez's Teen Titans.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »

The first Comic Books I got hooked on was Flash in the late 70's and then Wolfman & Perez's Teen Titans.

Same here Jeff, except in reverse order. I got hooked on Wolfman-Perez Teen Titans when I was in about 5th grade, and then started getting into Flash from there.

Gotta say, I really miss the old Teen Titans. The new version just didn't do it for me. I dropped the book several months back. I wanted so badly to like them, I just couldn't. The same chemistry just isn't there as when Wolfman & Perez were on the book.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:51 AM »

FANTASTIC FOUR

My first comic purchase was FANTASTIC FOUR #116. Before that, at the age of 6 or 7, I had just moved into this neighborhood and all the kids would play Jarts (now illegal lawn darts) and they would bet comics. I won a few (off of a loan ... I had no comics to wager), mostly RICHIE RICH, 'LIL DEVIL and the like, but some FF and other hero stuff as well.

Read some of the earlier FF's (or looked at the pictures) and then the next week hit the corner 7-11 and found a new FF comic on the stands.

Not knowing about comic shipping back then, I must have walked up there with my old man three times a week looking for that next issue. Finally gave up and bought some AVENGERS. But when that next issue of FF finally hit, I must have screamed like a little girly man.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »

used to watch adam west batman reruns on TBS when i was 5.  then the live action spiderman show started on CBS and i was starting to get hooked.  then in the 3rd grade, a friend of mine showed me something and was all like "check this out!"...it was a copy of uncanny xmen.  from then on out, it was on!

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »

My love affair with comics started with Spider-Man.  I couldn't get enough of the old 60s cartoon when I was kid growing up in the late 70s/early 80s.  Loved riding my bike to the local 7-Eleven to pick up comics on a daily basis.  First book I purchased was Spectacular Spider-Man.  Didn't matter what it was, I wanted to read anything.  Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew even!  Teen Titans was another favorite.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »

Oh man!  Captain Carrot - loved that!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »

Seeing Superman cartoons like Super Friends and the solo Superman/Superboy cartoons made back in the 60's which would rerun on the Bozo the Clown show.  The Superman films too.  The Batman 60's cartoon didn't hurt either.

But that only got me into super heroes.

It wasn't until Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and then getting a subscription to Amazing Spider-Man during the Stern/Romita run I started getting into comics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS