HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:24:54 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reboots  (Read 7225 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »

First Wildstorm Comics, then Valiant, after that DC Comics, and now we're hearing rumors of Marvel rebooting their universe (Marvel NOW).

Is all of this necessary? Are comic book sales really THAT bad? I know this is all an attempt to bring new readers in, but in the long run isn't this gonna hurt them more by driving away their loyal fanbase? Most of those "new" fans are gonna ride the fad, then fizzle out and find interest in something else. In the meantime, their loyal fanbase has moved on to other guy's comics.

I know I'm not feeling the new DC 52, and I've been a big DC Comics fan for years. I'm sure Wildstorm and Valiant fans felt the same.

I've since started reading more Marvel titles that I couldn't afford before and have been getting into Marvel more again (I used to be a big Marvel guy in the early to mid 90s). And now they want to pull the same thing on me?! SERIOUSLY?! I refuse to read Manga. So I guess back-issues are gonna be a big focus for me from now on.

What's your opinion of all of this?

Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »

No no no no no no. Just.....NO.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:42 AM »

Didn't Marvel already try it with the Ultimate line?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:16:03 AM »

Well,

Marvel has said they are not turning their backs on their past, and the solicits play off of current events taking place with AvX. The original Xmen will be time displaced, but there is still tension from the current event as well as House of M. The Marvel Universe will be different but not remade, they say.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:22 AM »

from my understanding the only thing marvel is rebooting is the creative teams on all the big books as well as another round of renumbering.  the past issues all still happened (except the spidey-marriage Sad ) and are relevant to the character.

in general i am against completely throwing out history in order to bring in "new" reader.  Stories can be reinterpreted and refreshed without starting from scratch.  they can always tell year-one type stories or lost years....hell do that with all the books for a yr and then bring them back to modern times but to do away with that history seems shortsighted and insulting to the creative team that came before.

i think the Ult U is as good as you can get when rebooting a universe...just create a new pocket U start all the characters  over and have at it while leaving the prime U as is.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »

Well the original Valiant reboot was something beyond control ... of the people that were creating it, so they shall always get a pass from me on that. Shooter and company got screwed. Just got my new issues from Valiant and can honestly say, they are F'n good. Hope they at least get to a 20K steady order.

DC's reboot, regardless of fandoms screams, was needed. I know that loyal DC fans do not agree, and that is fine, but DC was losing sales on a regular monthly basis. It was a smart business decision, bottom line. They had to do something because Daddy Parent Warner Brothers was about to put it's boot down. They already killed their Wildstorm division prior and Vertigo (while still around for now) is soon to be revamped I bet.

Marvel is not performing a reboot, just doing the money grab with 'new #1's". Always a cash cow ... on a temporary basis. Fans will complain about this as well as they drive to the LCS and pick up the issues that they are bitching about.

Comics just are not the viable source of stability we want them to be. I am not saying they are going under (yet) but yes, reboots, resets and renumbering are about the only thing that attracts attention to get more sales ... for a month or two.
Yes, comics are hurting and they have 3 major problems:
1) Price to entertainment ratio - Just too damn expensive
2) Older readers - We have seen most of the good stories before and the 'new takes' are just stupid
3) Younger readers - Have 'better value' options for entertainment

I am just staying a little longer myself before just getting out of the monthly bull-shit altogether. 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

Looks like a little more to me than just new #1s. A lot of those characters look altered.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »

Yes, some are. Not unusual for a new #1 with a new banner, but some have already been altered prior (Nova, Nick Fury ... Jr  Roll Eyes Angry and Sue Storm) while Cap is just following the movie style (which has also been shown) the only thing really different that we have not seen is the armor on Hulk, that new Cyclops (?) thing and Jean ... who is coming back with the rest of the original team of X-Men in that new X-men time travel book.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 04:08:30 AM »

Wringer, I totally agree with you.

Perry, most of those changes have already taken effect as far as characters' appearances.

And as the gloss wears off of the New 52 as happens with "new" things, the sales are calming down and when the dust settles, DC seems less connected and scattered as ever. I am not impressed with the Supes/WW relationship. And is the current Justice League title present day or still being told from the past? Hard to tell what is taking place in the shared DCU these days.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »

Perry, most of those changes have already taken effect as far as characters' appearances.

Yes, that was my point  Wink

DC seems less connected and scattered as ever.

How so? I hear this a lot and have yet to see examples

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »

Well,

Wonder Woman in her own book does not seem to be the same character as depicted in Justice League.

When has GL Hal Jordan had time to be part of the JL?

Is JL even present day yet?

Was Nightwing ever part of the Teen Titans? Have the Titans history been completely scrapped?

How much of the Blackest Night or any of GL's past connect to current stories? There was no Crisis, so how was the Anti-Monitor involved in the rising of the dead and  Kyle Raynor never dated Jade-- but the book still references most of the events.

Most of the characters seem isolated in their own titles, and do not seem to like each other very much. Not feeling any real famial ties or true shared history.

DC has a myriad number of characters which were built and  play on a past which according to new 52 current readers should let go-- but remember long enough to buy the book and try the new take. I would just appreciate it more if these great ideas existed as all new characters that sank or swim without the name recognition.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:41:27 AM »

First off, Yes, comparing Justice League to the other books starring said Justice League characters is futile. It is really bad how different the voices are. My main bitch about the JL book is Green Lantern. I can give a pass to some of the characters being different, different writers and all, but for Johns to write Hal like her does in JL and then write him totally different in GREEN LANTERN just infuriates me. I understand, at first, there was a 5 year difference, but even still ...

And he still writes him different now that the League is current time. (aren't they?) Angry

As far as your questions ... we don't know. It is a reboot. In time we will know more. I hear the Zero issues will answer some questions.

As far as it being less connected - It has only been a year. This is, other than Batman and Green Lantern, all new. There will be connections coming, between characters and readers to past stories. It is just going to take time.

Just like every other time DC reset itself there are changes. Some stick and some get retconned away ... again. I don't think this is that much different than when DC wiped out the multiverse and had John Byrne write SUPERMAN. Remember all the changes he made? Or Perez on Wonder Woman? They were totally different and just as much non-connected.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »

so glad i opted out of this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS