HR Boards
January 27, 2021, 03:42:27 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WandaVision premieres on Disney+ December 2020
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wonder Woman, No Respect  (Read 2845 times)
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« on: August 15, 2012, 06:17:46 AM »

Always wondered,

Why must Wonder Woman constantly be stripped bear and suffer a complete re-write for DC to consider the character viable?

Every reboot, Superman keeps Lois and the Daily Planet & Batman keeps Alfred, Gordon ER al. However, Wonder Woman apparently cannot be written while maintaining Steve Trevor, Etta, and sometimes the Amazons in her own title.

The argument over the last decade was that it is hard for fans to relate to Wonder Woman. No harder than it is to relate to Hercules, Thor, or any other mythic character if written well. So, the current solution is to make Diana totally disconnected from the modern world. I like the current stories, but you could insert a new character in place of Diana & the story would still stand sans name recognition/lure.

Seems like Justice League is almost the place to find some conistent Wonder Woman elements, but that is another story entirely.

Thoughts?

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:34:27 AM »

I will tell ya why.

"FEMALE"

Don't care what company. Don't care what character. Female lead's are just a harder sell. I don't understand it, but I also am a part of it.

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to read ... and continue to buy ... a book with a female lead and have stopped along the way.

This past incarnation of Wonder Woman's solo title is a perfect example. I LOVED THAT BOOK. and then suddenly, at around issue 7 or so, I stopped buying it. Yes, It was during one of my many efforts to cull my stack to a much smaller amount, but why did I drop that title? I really enjoyed what was going on. I really enjoyed the art. But ... it has a female lead. Says so right in the title.

Honestly, I have no idea why this happens to me. Wonder Woman seems to be the title I try and drop the most, as most female lead titles just don't have the history, but it doesn't matter. Female books just don't last for me and sadly, they don't last for most readers.

I think this current Ms. Marvel book ... ooops ... Captain Marvel ... is the first book with a woman lead that I have just flat out said I am not even trying because I know one of two things will happen.
1) It will get canceled before issue 14
2) I will stop buying before issue 8

Can't say why this happens, it just does. I am not a sexist or anything  Cheesy, but for some reasons I just can not stay connected with female lead titles.

I realize this does not really touch on most of what you are inquiring on  Cheesy, but had to jump in with my little business.
 Smiley

"I do not have OCD. I know. I've checked. Three or four hundred times and I definitely don't. I stopped myself from catching it by washing my hands an even number of times"
David Mitchell
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »

Appreciate the response.

For one of the most recognizable and iconic of female comic book characters, it just seems Wonder Woman should receive a little more care and attention. And the title should have some integrity.

Only time I have dropped title since 1985 was off/on during Byrne run and the total redo before New 52.

I think WW has an audience which is disregarded so many times that there is a perpetual disconnect. And every rewrite for Diana is radical compared to her two powerhouse peers.

Which version will the big screen see?

A Time Lord even moreso.
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »

I will tell ya why.

"FEMALE"

Don't care what company. Don't care what character. Female lead's are just a harder sell. I don't understand it, but I also am a part of it.

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to read ... and continue to buy ... a book with a female lead and have stopped along the way.

This past incarnation of Wonder Woman's solo title is a perfect example. I LOVED THAT BOOK. and then suddenly, at around issue 7 or so, I stopped buying it. Yes, It was during one of my many efforts to cull my stack to a much smaller amount, but why did I drop that title? I really enjoyed what was going on. I really enjoyed the art. But ... it has a female lead. Says so right in the title.

Honestly, I have no idea why this happens to me. Wonder Woman seems to be the title I try and drop the most, as most female lead titles just don't have the history, but it doesn't matter. Female books just don't last for me and sadly, they don't last for most readers.

I think this current Ms. Marvel book ... ooops ... Captain Marvel ... is the first book with a woman lead that I have just flat out said I am not even trying because I know one of two things will happen.
1) It will get canceled before issue 14
2) I will stop buying before issue 8

Can't say why this happens, it just does. I am not a sexist or anything  Cheesy, but for some reasons I just can not stay connected with female lead titles.

I realize this does not really touch on most of what you are inquiring on  Cheesy, but had to jump in with my little business.
 Smiley

Hit it right on the head of the nail. This is exactly how I feel about the situation./

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »

Well, Wonder Woman may be getting another look from me. Been checking it out by standing on the sidelines for a few, but may have to go back in with the New Gods coming in on the story. WW vs Orion? yeah, may have to check that.

"I do not have OCD. I know. I've checked. Three or four hundred times and I definitely don't. I stopped myself from catching it by washing my hands an even number of times"
David Mitchell
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »

Well,

It will be interesting to see where this story goes.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS