HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:16:56 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Poll
Question: What Was Your Favorite Star Trek Series?
Star Trek: The Original Series - 4 (50%)
Star Trek: The Next Generation - 2 (25%)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 2 (25%)
Star Trek: Voyager - 0 (0%)
Star Trek: Enterprise - 0 (0%)
Star Trek: The Animated Series - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Was Your Favorite Star Trek Series?  (Read 7688 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: August 12, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »

What Was Your Favorite Star Trek Series?

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »

Star Trek: The Next Generation for me. It's the series I grew up with. I remember eagerly looking forward to the next new episode every week. I particular remember the cliffhanger season finale of 2-part Borg episode "The Best of Both Worlds" was exceptionally well.

The crew of The Next Generation was the best crew, IMO. The Klingon Worf, the Android Data, Commander Riker, Captain Picard, the Telepathic Troy, the genius Lt. Commander LaForge; all great characters. The special effects, make-up, and sets were leagues ahead of the Original Series' budget-constraints. The Borg were a great villain race, and were still fresh and exciting during the Next Generation episodes. And it had well-written, science fiction stories.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »

It will always be the original for me.  It's the one I got hooked on as a kid.  Besides, Kirk will always be the best captain!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »

It will always be the original for me.  It's the one I got hooked on as a kid.  Besides, Kirk will always be the best captain!

ditto.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »

Really tough call here. I picked DS9 even though it has the worse commander/captain and the last year was pretty weak. The first few years was written incredibly well and loved the dominion war and all things leading up to it.

TOS will always have a spot in my heart however (including the animated series) and NextGen (aside from year one) will also remain to me as some great television. Hell, even ENTERPRISE was good after ya got into it. I think we can all agree that Voyager was ... well ... last on the list.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »

I think we can all agree that Voyager was ... well ... last on the list.

I don't agree with that. Voyager was my 2nd favorite series after The Next Generation. It had a very similar feel to it as The Next Generation. It had a great crew. And the fact that they were actually exploring new territory was pretty cool. Plus you got the most insight into the Borg in Voyager than you did in any other series.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:07:13 AM »

I think most of us agree then?
 Grin

I found the writing in most of that show to be pretty damn bad. It had its moments, hell I watched every episode, but yeah, I rank that at the bottom of the trek canon and that is with the knowledge that the animated series is non-canon.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »

I went with DS9 because it was truely different than past Trek series.  it was darker, not everyone got along and it was the 1st to run long multi episode/season arcs.  i absolutley loved the high focus on the klingons once Worf joined the show along with the Defiant and really wished they gone ahead with the proposed Empire series.
i loved TOS because thats what i grew up with and the only show we were alowed to watch during dinner (we wheeled in the old B&W set)  it was campy as hell to modern eyes but it had a lot of heart and integrity

Next gen rocked (minus 1st season that tried too hard to mimic TOS) the character really had time to grow and change episode to episode and there were many memorable eps that i still think about and remember as if it yesterday.  again great string of stories fleshing out the klingon empire really made the universe better...the movies weren't bad either.

voyager...i watched every episode and wanted to like it...the 1st season was ok and there were some great concepts but nothing was every followed up on and the possibilties were left on the floor...especially when 7of9 entered and every episode was focused on her (poor Chakote...2nd in command but never got a decent story past season3...Ens Kim too) and ended with her saving the day with were wonderful nanotech.  I think what bothered me the most, like Perry said, it had a great hook...lost in a sector with no allies, exploring a new frontier....but imo they blew it.  1st season the had to limit using the synthesizer because the bio-whatever tech that ran them was limited and could not be replace...a ploty point completely forgotten by season 2...the ship was constantly being attched and taking damage but the next ep everything was good as new.  if i was running the show the ship would have become a patchwork of alien tech as they struggled to keep it together.  again i wanted to like it but it failed on too many levels.

Enterprise...cut short just as it was hitting its stride...1st seasons were a bit ruff but enjoyable but by the 3rd (like all the shows except V) it was firing on all cylinders and the last season was fantastic except for the last eps which I thought was an insult to everyone who had stuck with the show.  Loved the mirror/mirror ep with its entirely new opening and theme song (another sore spot was the theme, just not Trekie enough.

loved the new movie and enjoyed the reboot without wiping out what the viewers already know and loved...cant wait for Trek2
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:27:44 AM »

I totally agree with you Wringer about Enterprise.  Third season was the best and should have propelled the show into at least two more seasons.  That last episode left me feeling cheated as this show was about these characters and not Next Gen.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 03:14:59 AM »

I totally agree with you Wringer about Enterprise.  Third season was the best and should have propelled the show into at least two more seasons.  That last episode left me feeling cheated as this show was about these characters and not Next Gen.

Not a big Enterprise fan. But I can agree that I did really enjoy season 3. I really enjoyed the clone-saga episodes with Brent Spiner, the origin of the human-looking Klingons episode, and the Mirror Universe episode was fan-freaking-tastic.

I also think that a lot of people misinterpreted the last episode of Enterprise. Many people point to it and say the whole thing was a holo-program and nothing in the show "actually" happened. I saw nothing in that last episode to insinuate that. Riker could have been viewing a holo-program of them in that particular episode, but nowhere did it say that the rest of the 3 seasons before that episode was part of the holo-program. (Personally, I enjoyed it, it was cool to see him and Troi again, even it was just those 2 and in only 1 episode.)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:35 AM »

That's interesting.  I never took it to be more than just the two of them watching the end in the holo room as well.  I don't think they meant for anyone to think the whole show didn't happen.

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »

i agree...nothing more than Riker and Troi viewing the last adventure of the original enterprise crew.  i just thought it was a cop out to bring them in and found the episode lack-luster
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »

Each series had its own merits and downfalls, but for me ST:TNG will be my top choice.  Maybe it's because I saw it when it originally aired from start to finish, so I feel I know the characters best, and I tuned in week after week.

Or maybe it's my crush on the intergalactic cheerleader that is Deanna Troi.   Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS