HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:30:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Comics Have You Picked Up Recently?  (Read 40441 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »

Oh no Perry, you are right.

I dropped Iron Man at the 500th issue, but I came back at 510 to 527, as that was the finale of his run. As it is, I'd get his Iron Man volumes 1-7, and then 10 and 11.

I can't agree fast enough with how horrible his FF was. 3 issues in, I had regretted buying 2 of them, and was doing collecting it.

His Thor certainly wasn't the best as JMS before or Aaron after, but...I also have no desire to pick it up (I read a buddy's).

I won't lie; a bunch of X-men was honestly quite good. But I don't give a fart in the wind when it comes to picking up X-men work.

But all those other poor/hated Fraction works....fully agreed!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

Aquaman Throne of Atlantis - crossover with Justice League

I read this on Comixology and it wasn't bad.  My only gripe was how Orm was treated in the end.  I don't think he was really to blame for his actions and don't understand why Aquaman turned him over to the police.

Anyone else read this?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »

Aquaman Throne of Atlantis - crossover with Justice League

I read this on Comixology and it wasn't bad.  My only gripe was how Orm was treated in the end.  I don't think he was really to blame for his actions and don't understand why Aquaman turned him over to the police.

Anyone else read this?

Coincidentaly, I just finished this reread yesterday as well.

(FYI, JL & Aquaman vol 3s are both 'Throne of Atlantis' and both contain the 6 parts that run through the 2 titles. So, don't buy them both....as I did).

The second time through, I'm not sure I like how it came off. Would a daring man and king give up the prior one to the world, to make sure his kingdom is not held in reproach? Yes.

Would Arthur, though? No...I don't think so.

However, there is certainly a very American thought throughout all the JL that the Atlanteans response is unwarranted and hardly necessary.

However....what we don't know is how many Atlanteans were killed, or how much mass destruction actually occurred.

Justifiying it? No. But is there tons of things that could have been done to make this utterly complex and gray, putting our heroes beliefs and truths to the test? Yup.

But, it's a sad miss.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2014, 05:58:19 AM »

Just got these for under $10. I've been wanting to read this mini for a VERY long time.

And something to add to my Clone Saga storyline, which I thought was complete until now:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:03:22 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »

Ah, the Osborn Journal is pretty good!

And Venom...those teeth! That tongue~!

I won't lie; I HATE that the Erik Larsen school of a 4 ft tongue became the norm for drawing Venom's tongue. I just hate it. In triumph or utter joy, Bagley's Venom would have a touch of the tongue as well, but Larsen's Venom always had it lolling about like a 14 year old boxer dog that can't keep his tongue in anymore.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »

Not a comic, but this was such a cool find I wanted to share it:

I found this really cool video game book at Goodwill today. "Video Games: The Ultimate Guide". It has reviews of a quoted "over 1000 games" with pics

The cover boasts that it includes PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, PC, and Game Boy/GBC games. But it also has a section in the back that covers older systems up to Saturn and all the way back to Atari 2600 and ZX Spectrum! And it even has a "preview" section that looks into the GameCube, XBox, and GBA.

I found this really cool video game book at Goodwill today. "Video Games: The Ultimate Guide". It has reviews of a quoted "over 1000 games" with pics

The cover boasts that it includes PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, PC, and Game Boy/GBC games. But it also has a section in the back that covers older systems up to Saturn and all the way back to Atari 2600 and ZX Spectrum! And it even has a "preview" section that looks into the GameCube, XBox, and GBA.

This will do me well as video game collector. Well worth $2!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:15:00 PM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »

As I've mentioned before, I recently bought most of the entire Doom 2099 issues and tie-ins for cheap not too long ago, and I've been reading it and really enjoying it.

Well I just started getting through the highly-recommended Warren Ellis issues which begins with issue #26 (in the pic). I'm up to about issue #33 when Alchemex makes their own Captain America to stand against Doom.

And I've got to say, I'm QUITE disappointed. I think Warren Ellis's run on this series is praised for no other reason than it's Warren Ellis. Because his run hasn't been nearly as good as the 25 issues prior.

He's going for this big, epic storyline where Doom takes control of America. The problem is that while he's reaching for this great epic storyline for the 2099 Universe, he's completely lost the character of Doom. Instead of being the fully-fleshed out character that was neither fully hero nor fully villain that I had read for the last 25 issues, Doom becomes a stale archetype of his old villain self (and I mean "stale", because when villain Doom is written right, he's an amazing villain). Ellis also immediately kills off two main-characters in Prophet and Wire when he takes over, which is another big disappointment. And while that cover looks great, the inner-artwork definitely took a dive.

I'm gonna keep reading this until the end, and hope there's a big pay-off. But all those people praising Warren Ellis's run on Doom 2099, have really disappointed me. I wish they would have kept the old creative team around to end this series.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS