HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:18:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Comics Have You Picked Up Recently?  (Read 40446 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »

Well for smaller shops or those shops "just hanging on" they have to do that. These FREE COMIC BOOK DAY "free" comics are only "free" to the customers. The shops still have to buy them. I can't blame anyone that is trying to make ends meet for being frugal with their money.

Perhaps over the last couple years of doing this promotion, some shops have seen no benefit in doing it. No increase in foot traffic. No additional sales after the event. They figure "Screw it. I don't want to be the only shop not promoting this event, but I just can't afford to keep buying these comics that have no return for me. I have to cut back". Would you continue to spend money year after year on a promotion (or advertising) that goes nowhere?

6 of the 7 shops around here (within a 20 mile radius), go into this event full bore. Buy huge amounts of every comic. But there is one shop that just can't afford to do this. Even though those FCBD comics are cheap, relatively speaking, they still cost money and he knows, for him, it is just throwing money out of the window, so he is forced to limit the amount he can 'give away'.

Plus, you have jack-asses, that I know, that go from shop to shop, pick up every title just because they are "Free". Asses. I have no problem with people going from shop to shop, hell, I promote that idea (get to see and talk to other fans, see what's going on, mingle .... it's great), but people that just hoard shit because they don't have to pay? Pisses me off.

Like when Marvel had that 700 free comics on Comixology a couple months ago, I had a guy tell me he was happy to get them all. I asked him why did he get the Orson Scott Card books (as I know he shared my thoughts on that utter piece of shit) and his response was "Hey, it was free. I'm not gonna read 'em". I was floored. "So your gluttony overwrote your ideals?" I asked. His response "It was free, what was I gonna do?"
I don't know, idiot, not get shit just because it's free?!?!?!

I know this is not what you guys are doing or even talking about and I apologize for the tangent.  Cheesy

Anyway, as I was saying, there may just be a good reason your shops do this. Of course if your shop owner pulls up in a 2013 Lexus or the like and he is just being a jerk, well ...
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »

I totally understand why. I wasn't complaining, just explaining why I only got 3 issues.

The comic shop owner actually told me to come back again after 3 p.m. and I could take anything I wanted of what's left. I got there after 3:30, and I wasn't the only guy he told that to. So all that was left by that time was the Bongo-Free-For-All (The Simpsons) and The Smurfs, I passed on the Smurfs. I was busy visiting my brother who just got out of a very painful surgery on his foot.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »

I totally understand why. I wasn't complaining, just explaining why I only got 3 issues.

Oh no, not trying to imply that you (or 'cow) were complaining. I just wanted to further spread the news on reasons why some shops do have to do this.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

Got a bunch of original X-Factor issues including the Judgment Day crossover, Muir Island Saga (which crosses into Uncanny X-Men, too), and Mutant Massacre crossovers.

I also got the 2 X-Title crossovers X-Tinction Agenda and X-Cutioner's Song.

And I got a bunch of Batman issues including Batman: Year 3 (Tim Drake's origin), A Lonely Place of Dying, Prodigal (Bruce Wayne's first storyline after returning from Knightfall), and the first appearance of Bane and Jean-Paul Valley as Batman which actually happens a couple issues BEFORE Knightfall. Knightfall really should have began with that issue.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »

Good X stuff in there. Shortly after that, is right about the time things began to go down hill for me and all things X

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »

I went to Goodwill today, and came back with some awesome issues for only $1 a piece! Filled in my X-Factor holes (from the original 5 X-Men run), And got the first couple of issues of New Warriors from when Scarlet Spider joined the team. And all of them bagged and boarded to boot!

But best of all, for only a $1, was the first appearance of Apocalypse issue in X-Factor #6:

Hell yeah! That's a find!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:23:42 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 02:12:27 AM »

Awesome!  What condition is it in?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 04:22:45 AM »

Not pristine, but not bad by any means, either. No creasing or tearing or anything, but the pages are yellowing a little.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »

Not pristine, but not bad by any means, either. No creasing or tearing or anything, but the pages are yellowing a little.

Yeah, no matter. For that price I am sure you would buy 100 more. Great find.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 04:33:04 AM »

Filled in holes in my 90s Spider-Man Clone Saga collection and my Knightquest (Azrael as Batman) collections.

...do they have a Comics Anonymous group? I think I might have a problem.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:44:18 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »

Filled in holes in my 90s Spider-Man Clone Saga collection and my Knightquest (Azrael as Batman) collections.

...do they have a Comics Anonymous group? I think I might have a problem.  Embarrassed

At some point I'm going to fill in the holes of my Uncanny X-Men run.  At that point I may just sell off the rest and just keep that.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »

went back to Mr.K's this past weekend and picked up a TPB copy of Iron Man: Armor Wars, the HC Silver Surfer GN by Stan Lee and Big John Buscema, and the HC GN Silver Surfer: The Enslavers by Stan Lee and Keith Pollard.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »

went back to Mr.K's this past weekend and picked up a TPB copy of Iron Man: Armor Wars, the HC Silver Surfer GN by Stan Lee and Big John Buscema, and the HC GN Silver Surfer: The Enslavers by Stan Lee and Keith Pollard.

Sweet!  Those Silver Surfers sound awesome!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »

I know you're not a current Marvel guy, but this is not too current. Have you ever read SILVER SURFER : REQUIEM by JMS and Ribic?

One of my top 10 books of all time. (Of course, that was 5 years ago, so ...)  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »

I know you're not a current Marvel guy, but this is not too current. Have you ever read SILVER SURFER : REQUIEM by JMS and Ribic?

One of my top 10 books of all time. (Of course, that was 5 years ago, so ...)  Grin

I agree.  Requiem is a GREAT Silver Surfer book.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS