HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:50:11 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Comics Have You Picked Up Recently?  (Read 40442 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »

went to the local Mr.Ks Used Books this morning and picked up a few things....

some Disney comics for my daughter

micronauts 56
warlord 110
warlord of mars king size annual #1

and then I found this.....

for $5.00.  not in the best shape but certainly in GOOD shape.  just looked it up on mile high comics website and they are selling it for $96.00 in FINE shape.  good stuff.  good stuff.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

Sweet!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »

Fantastic Earl Norem art. One of the most under-rated and unknown artist in the world ... to the younger audiences at least.
 Grin
Loved his Conan stuff (Curtis mags and Marvel's Savage Sword) and all his earlier stuff.

Great find, Cow.
Great find.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »

That is an awesome find, and an incredible looking cover. Congrats!

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 04:05:56 AM »

Finished reading some recent purchases: Marvel 1602 and the Eric Masterson Thor issues. Can't say I was impressed with either.

Marvel 1602 was boring, but at least interesting enough to see how Gaiman could fit Marvel characters into the year 1602 in England. The story itself, though, was a snoozer.

The Eric Masterson Thor issues were very poorly written. Just as cornball and cheesy as it gets with little to no thought put behind anything. I was mentally rolling my eyes every couple of pages.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 05:26:10 AM »

Marvel 1602 was boring, but at least interesting enough to see how Gaiman could fit Marvel characters into the year 1602 in England. The story itself, though, was a snoozer.

Yep, sums up my thoughts. Like I said, not what I would call an exciting book. Cool to see the different takes on characters, but ... eh. You are still richer for having read it, however.
 Grin

The Eric Masterson Thor issues were very poorly written. Just as cornball and cheesy as it gets with little to no thought put behind anything. I was mentally rolling my eyes every couple of pages.

Missed most of those. Not a huge Thunderstrike or a DeFalco fan. He did some decent Amazing issues, but ... eh (again  Cheesy) for the most part ... pretty simplistic in approach and execution. A guy that never left the 70s  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »

Just ordered this trade:

Looking forward to reading it!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

Ahhh, one of the fond memories of Shell-Head. Interested to know how that puppy holds up after 25 years. It was great, at the time.

I had gone off Iron Man for a few years and when I seen those two names Michelinie and Layton had been working on IM, I jumped back on. Fun run (especially the Spymaster and Ghost issues) as those creators do work well together.
Best run of IM every was when those two wrote IM with John Romita Jr. on art (His art was fantastic back then, not sure what the hell happened Grin) so if you enjoy this arc, you should certainly check out their first run on the book.

Anywho, let us know if it still reads well or is now dated.
 Smiley

Edit - You kinda got me excited about the old Iron Man run  Cheesy Went back and did a little research. IF you enjoy this trade ... IF ... you should definitely check out IM runs:
137-140 - (Written by Michelinie/Layton - art by Layton)
and
141-150,152 - (Written by Michelinie/Layton - art by J.R. Jr. ... the good art  Wink)

(And of course issues 120-128 which is the famous DEMON IN THE BOTTLE story arc)

Screw it, grab all you can of issues 119-153  Cheesy Cheesy

(If you like this trade and it still holds up. If you don't or it doesn't, then ... I just wasted a lot of time.  Cheesy Cheesy but that is okay, I just got a little memory excited)
 Smiley

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:54:23 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »

And hey ... look what talking about that AVENGERS series in another thread caused me to find ...
Click for the entire run of what I was just talking about  Grin

I may get this next month. Great deal of $1.12 an issue!!!!! All in one great HC. A big HC, but a nice HC  Grin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:31:34 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 01:08:17 AM »

I ordered this on an impulse buy...

The West Coast Avengers find themselves flung throughout time in this classic tale featuring everything from Marvel's Wild West to ancient Egyptian despots! Witness the "Wackos" as they find themselves face to face with such legends as the Two-Gun Kid, the Phantom Rider, and the Rawhide Kid, along with the time-tossed villainy of Rama-Tut and Immortus. With the Fantastic Four and Dr. Strange along for the ride, what other help could the West Coasters need to set things straight? How about Marvel's modern day Western heroes, the Texas Rangers!

COLLECTING: West Coast Avengers (1985) 17-24, Fantastic Four (1961) 19, Dr. Strange (1974) 53

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 03:01:00 AM »

for $5.00.  not in the best shape but certainly in GOOD shape.  just looked it up on mile high comics website and they are selling it for $96.00 in FINE shape.  good stuff.  good stuff.

Is it a 1st printing?  2nd and later printings are also going for $78 on Mycomicshop.com.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 03:11:55 AM »

Is it a 1st printing?  2nd and later printings are also going for $78 on Mycomicshop.com.

I think it is a first printing.  I can't find anything that tells me if it is anything other than a 1st.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »

I just completed a big back-issue order from ComicCollectorLive.com:

-The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix #1-4
-All-Star Comics 80-Page Giant
-Heroes Reborn: Ashema
-Heroes Reborn: Doom
-Heroes Reborn: Doomsday
-Infinity Inc. #27, #30, #42-44
-Marvel Knights: 4 Vol. 3 Graphic Novel
-Rise of Apocalypse 1-4 (Origin of Apocalypse)
-Ultimate Fantastic Four #13-20 (Negative Zone Storyline)
-Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #1 (Ultimate Inhumans)
-Wizard: The Comic Magazine 2000
-X-Factor #18-20, #24-26 (original Apocalypse and The Four Horsemen storyline)
-X-Factor Annual #3 (Apocalypse vs. The High Evolutionary)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:46:42 PM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 12:19:42 AM »

Free Comic Book Day today! I got a bunch of back-issues, because my LCS was having a 75% off sale, filled in most of the Batman: Knightfall holes:

-Batman #495, 496, 499, 500 - Newstand (already have the special cover), 501 (Knightfall issues)
-Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #63 (Knightsend)
-Batman: Shadow of the Bat #29, 30 (Knightsend)
-Catwoman #12 (Knightsend)
-Detective Comics Starring Batman #659, 661, 663, 664, 665, 668 (All Knightfall/Knightquest issues)
-Robin #8 & 9 (Knightsend issues)
-Superior Spider-Man #5, 6, 7
-Uncanny X-Men #336 (Onslaught Issue)

As for actual free issues, we were limited to 2 copies only, so I got:

-Infinity (Marvel) Free Comic Book Day
-Superman: The Last Son of Krypton
-Bongo Comic Free-For-All 2013 (The Simpsons) - Comic shop guy just gave me this one extra since I'm a regular.

The only one I really missed out on that I wanted to read since I was limited to only 2 was the Star Wars one, and I probably would have enjoyed the DC Nation one.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:16:17 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 02:57:37 AM »

I think it sucks that the shops do this.  my LCS does this also (well, they did last year, I didn't go this year...).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS