HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:30:22 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FCBD  (Read 4097 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 02, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »

Don't forget that tomorrow is Free Comic Book Day.

Get off your butt and take your kids/grand-kids/nephews and/or nieces/your friends kids or even the neighbor-hood kids (after you ask their parents of course ...  Cheesy) to your local shop. And get their eyes on some comics!!!!!

Who knows how many new comic readers you can personally bring into the fold just by taking an hour and doing that.

So let's go!!!  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »

FREECOMICBOOKDAY!!!!

GET SOOOOMMMEEEE!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »

Argh!  I'm running in a Salvation Army charity event today and won't make it to the LCS.  Gonna miss taking te kid this year.   Cry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »

Argh!  I'm running in a Salvation Army charity event today and won't make it to the LCS.  Gonna miss taking te kid this year.   Cry

Oh that's right!! Dude ... you need to get those guys to plan better next year  Wink

(Good luck on your run though)  Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 05:56:21 PM »

I took my oldest daughter to our LCS this morning at 8AM.  she got one of the "Wizard of Oz" digets from marvel ($20? Angry  at least it was 25% off, but that was STILL $15.  I guess I should be happy that she paid $10 of that, right?)  she also got 2 FCBD books (the smurfs and uncle scrooge) and 2 issues of Hot Stuff and a DC holiday special starring funny animals out of the $0.50 boxes. 

daddy got a hardcover edition of "Nick Fury vs SHEILD" for $6, a "Victorian Undead" TPB for $6, 9 issues of Micronauts, 10 issues of ROM and about 4 or 5 random books out of the $0.50 boxes to fill in some holes.  I actually had about 15 or 20 other books out of the $0.50 boxes including Punisher War Journal #s 6 and 7, Daredevil #257, 2 issues of Man-thing, and a handful of Alpha Flight (including #51, jim lee's first marvel art) but put them back because of my fear at how much money I was about to spend. 

we also got to meet R2-D2.  the only real complaint I had was that they only had maybe 25 titles to choose from for the FCBD stuff (aren't there like, a hundred books out there for FCBD?)  and they limited it to 3 per FAMILY.  that's right...per FAMILY, not per person.  and if you DID want more than 3, you had to pay $1 each for each additional copy.  that ruffled my feathers a bit. other than that, it was not too bad.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »

the only real complaint I had was that they only had maybe 25 titles to choose from for the FCBD stuff (aren't there like, a hundred books out there for FCBD?)

There are usually around 60 titles total per FCBD. Not sure how many there are for this year, but yes, certainly more than 25. I guess the shop owner didn't want to spend the money getting them all and only decided to buy the "Gold" listings? Shame as most of the issues are pretty cheap for the shop owners. Cheaper when you buy the "Silver" titles.

and they limited it to 3 per FAMILY.  that's right...per FAMILY, not per person.  and if you DID want more than 3, you had to pay $1 each for each additional copy.  that ruffled my feathers a bit. other than that, it was not too bad.

Now that is bullshit. Even if he went with just the Gold comics (There are about 12 "Gold" titles each year and 40 or so "Silver" ... Gold cost a little more, obviously  Grin) he is not paying $1 a copy. I think, including shipping, a retailer can get 20 or so copies of all the gold titles for like $75. They only pay the actual cost of making the comics and as that is less than 50¢ a piece (240 comics for $75 ... INCLUDING SHIPPING), why would they charge you more? That is crap, my man. I would let the damn owner know it to.
 Angry

This is NOT suppose to be a profit making scheme. Well, it is, but in a different way.
 Grin

But glad you took your little one

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »

I picked up some free issues today already. Going back after 3 p.m. when they let you come back and take as much as you want of what's left. (They only let you pick out 2 at first, so I got the DC New 52 Future's End and Guardians of the Galaxy ones, first.)

Saw a guy fully decked-out as Deadpool. And he did a damn good job on the costume.

There was a sale on back-issues. But I've already combed through his back-issues bins many times over and have gotten everything I want from him, since he never replenishes back-issue bins.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS