HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 09:21:32 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 72838 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »

Finally saw 5 armies last night.

I enjoyed it a little more than Jimmy I fear. Which, I guess was bound to happen.  Cheesy

For fans such as Jimmy that have read the book, and enjoyed them greatly I am surel, I can totally see why this movie is not on their list of favorites. Heck, even I hated the first two movie's over use of ComGen graphics that apperared to be made on a Commodore 64, the weird ass love story that just felt odd and the fact that they took one book and stretched it into 3 movies when 2 would have been perfect.

However, while I didn't care at all for the first two movies in this "epic", I kinda liked this one. I guess it was mainly because more happened, but I don't usually lean towards being an "action" guy so it is not just that. I think here with more/or better emotion shown through, deaths that were just perfectly portrayed and much better graphics, the movie just played better. It still took over 45 minutes to get to the point were my eye lids didn't want to close, but once we got there, yeah, it was a lot better.

Here are the main reasons why I feel that way (and yes there will be spoilers, but come on ...  Grin)-

The fight with Sauron, the Nazgűl, the Wizards and Galadriel really made me sit up in my seat. Was that in the book? I guess it had to be but I don't remember it being described that strongly. Either way, that was a fantastic few scenes that was right out of The RETURN of The KING in terms of perfect use of ghostly images, action, color, tension, just everything.

The wierd ass love story actually paid off. When Kili bit it, the lady Elf ... Kate  Grin, really had a great scene touching this "love" and feeling her pain the way she did.

The fact that I thought they would, but they didn't ... stretch out the death of Smaug (and I don't care who says what, I have pronounced it is Smog for years and I will continue to do so. Keep your Smowg. It makes more sense as "smog" with Tolkien's love of nature that the bad dragon be an item that is not clean or "Earthly" ... so everyone can just piss off!!!)
 Angry
 Grin

And like Jimmy said, Martin Freeman is just incredible in this. Dude should have won best actor award here. No doubt. I know I am coming more from a "fan boy" side than those that give out the awards and I love Mathew McConaughey, love the dude, but Martin just out acted him here. Best I have seen in a long time. Period. His freaking jaw when he was saying "bye" to the Dwarfs? That slight twist? That is what happens when you are holding back tears. It was PERFECT!!! Damn this dude killed it in EVERY F'n SCENE HE WAS IN!!!!!

And going back to death ... the death of Thorin. That personal battle with Azog was just expertly done. From start to finish just BAM!!! POW!!!

And there were other parts I enjoyed but those are the ones I woke up remembering.

Of course this movie doesn't save the title as a whole. The other two are just too damn drawn out and filled with stuff that doesn't belong or could have just been left out to make this a two movie series instead of three. It just should not have been three movies. If they would have combined all the aspects of the first two, even the damn love story if needed (as it kinda paid off) into one movie and then had this movie as the second, the series would stand proud right next to Lord of the Rings, but as it was ... I can see Jimmy's displeasure, even though I give this last one a little more stars then he would.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »

I would have to reread my review, but most of my displeasure truly has to do with how shitty a movie it was, not in how it differed from the book. The movie-book correlation was the least of my concern watching this train wreck.

But, I digress. My displeasure has long been spelled out. No need for me to rehash. Just wanted to say that book divergence was NOT the reason I hated the movie. I just thought it was bad movie-making. Period. Wink

But I TOTALLY agree with 'smog.' I know using Tolkien's dictionary and glossary, it probably does come off as 'smowg' but 'smog' is too perfect!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »

Maybe I did a poor job at expressing it, Jimmy, but I was not saying you hated the movie just for the changes.  That was minimal to your displeasure. I just mentioned it as a mere point in your anger and more to wrap towards my questions.

The only thing I really was going on is your statement that this movie was shit and I thought it was better than that.

The book divergence was nothing but a foot note and again, was just a base for my question.

When I mentioned you read the book and you may have hated parts that have changed, I didn't mean you hated this movie solely for those changes.

Sorry for my bad writing.

Again, you hate the movie, I hate the first two but liked this one. THAT was what my post was about.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »

Okay! We clarified all around. As long as we both agree that I'm angry about everything, then all points written were completely true and valid in both appraisals.  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »

Cheesy
Exactly

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »

Got two flicks on my list wiped out last night

GONE GIRL - That ending. THAT ENDING!!!!

MAZERUNNER - Plot holes the size of the maze itself. Still a fun(?) way to kill a couple hours I suppose

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »

John Wick. Now there was a movie hearkening back to the action blood sprees of the 80s without the cheesiness! I'm down for a second one. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »

PREDESTINATION

Shocked

Fantastic, yet wildly ... no, no spoilers ... just fantastic!

I have yet another time related movie to add to my list of great movies. Will certainly watch this again.

Plus, as an added bonus, the special effects of the "jumps" were simple as hell, but looked cool as all get out!!

8 outta 10 (and I chose "8" for a reason)  Wink

EDIT - though there is a reason this does not get a 9 from me. There is one important part of the movie that I have a little trouble with. It ... well ... I will say more once more people see this movie.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:49:39 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2015, 03:19:11 AM »

First off, I deleted that Colbert embed. I didn't know it played by itself. Sorry guys.
 Embarrassed

The EQUALIZER

I wanted a brain deadening movie to get me tired and I got it. This generations Die Hard it is not.
 Roll Eyes

Sprinkler drops falling from his eyelashes in slow motion?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »

SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR

Same ole stuff. Almost can't tell the difference in the movies  Grin

All in all just what I was looking for today. Fit the bill perfectly, and like the first City, just the book put to motion.

Frank Miller's sexist, misogynist ideas in movie form. Film Noir at its best loaded with great, over-the-top pulp.

I waited to see this when I was in the proper mood and I nailed it today. I just wanted to bash someone's face in today. No-one in particular. no person angered me, just felt the desire to put fist to jaw bubbling under my skin and this movie helped squelch that fire. Almost completely.
 Wink
Haven't felt that tribal or primal in a long time. Wonder why it hit me today? Oh well ... gone now for the most part. Okay to have a beer now
 Grin

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2015, 03:30:31 AM »

I watched John Wick over the weekend.  Horrible story.  Cool gun fight choreography.  I liked Equalizer better.  Grin

As far as Sin City movies go....I'll admire Carla Gucino's naked body over Eva Green's any day of the week.....that's a Dame to Kill For  Cool

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2015, 08:12:25 PM »

Barbie and the Secret Door
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »

Barbie and the Secret Door

RODNEY !!!! Hello good sir. Hope all is well

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »

See, I saw John Wick last weekend too. Kinda loved it as far as action movies go...but the excitement slowly drained out pushing towards the end, though. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2015, 04:19:12 PM »

STONEHURST ASYLUM

Ummm ... Ben Kinsley was awesome. Decent movie with a decent ending. Good for a bored day viewing

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS