HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:40:13 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A vs X  (Read 29822 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »

#5 wasn't that bad. And I'm interested in what they're going to do with

five of the X-Men being a part of the Pheonix.

See that's what I didn't like.  I thought it was hoacky.  I'm more interested in how this will change things when it's over than I am the actual story now.  Plus the art doesn't really draw me in.  You would think a top artist would be assigned to an event this big.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »

Well,

The book seems to be going the way of most Marvel mega crossovers-- heavy on plot points but lacking on real emotional character impact. I do not feel anything for Hope. The one fight I would have loved to seen detail on was the fight with Magik and Dr. Strange. No one thought to bring in the Professor who was one fo the few people who could go toe to toe with a hosted Phoenix in the first showdown?

I guess this story is playing out the underlying them of the Phoenix which takes mutants to the next level of different which should make even some mutants just as scared of the new & different as humans are of mutants, but I don't feel the depiction of that mutant reaction or human level of uneasiness at the utopia that seems to be created.

Marvel's stock in trade is human characters and reactions-- that is missing to me. Why is that missing?

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »

Because these characters are being written out of freaking character.

Seems to be the norm. Hell, half the reason I am dropping books now is I am tired of the writers 'voices' being inside my characters dialog or actions.

Cap punching Cyclops when he did, for what he did is just the latest in blatant misuse and total non-understanding of a characters.

Best books out right now from the big two are from the writers that know who the fuck they are writing about. Waid on DD, Snyder on Batman, Brubaker on Winter Soldier, are just a few of the very few that know what and how each character would/should do.

It's all crap
 Angry

Okay, getting mad isn't helping
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:25 AM »

Feel you, Perry.

After a few decades, the characters write themselves. And seeing them just used for name recognition while writer C does his thing is sickening. And too much the norm.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 04:00:51 AM »

Issue 6

Maybe it's because Hickman wrote this issue but I thought it was MUCH better.  I'm hoping Scott will finally get his come uppings.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 03:02:54 AM »

I'm enjoying the series, so far. At first, I thought everything happened a little too fast. But then seeing everything that's gone down since, it makes sense. This has been a crossover where everything just hits you one thing after another. I know that all the crossovers claim that "everything will change" by the end of it. But considering the pretty heinous acts being committed and the amount of change we've seen in just a few issues, I'm thinking this crossover might actually mean it. Who knows what's gonna happen, who's gonna be in power, and what repercussions such extreme actions will have when all the dust settles.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »

The X-Men are starting to open their eyes to the Phoenix's corruption. But at the same time, the Phoenix's hosts are getting more powerful. This is getting quite good. Things are gonna hit big.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »

I agree it has gotten better these past couple of issues.  It's going to be interesting how this finally plays out.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »

***SPOILERS AHEAD****

Who else read the latest issue? How awesome was that?! It was just one thing after another in that issue, boom, boom, boom, coming right at you! Such an exciting read.

There can be know doubt about this now, Cyclops is basically the new Magneto. He will see that Mutant kind prevails, no matter the cost. Sound familiar?

And, Emma Frost just peeved off (and underestimated) the WRONG mutant. Can't wait to see what happens next when Magneto inevitably confronts Emma Frost.

Plus this whole thing with Hope. I didn't see that one coming. They kept setting it up as if Iron Fist was gonna gain the Phoenix Force, and that was what I expecting. So big surprise, for me at least. And was it just me, or was did the artwork look like there was some orange flame around the "dragon aura" surrounding her body? Like maybe she was still channeling some Phoenix Force at the same time. That might be significant.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 10:54:49 PM »

Where in the hell is Cable?!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »

Where in the hell is Cable?!

I have wondered the same damn thing.  Hope is his daughter (adopted) for gods sake.  He raised her - no way would he be sitting this out.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:04 AM »

The series as a whole I'm pretty entertained with. It started off a little meh, but the last half of the series has been fantastic and action-packed.

My thoughts on the latest issue (A vs. X #11):

Spoiler:
I thought the death of Xavier was handled well. It did seem a bit emotional since Scott was basically like his oldest son.

As for it having a lasting meaning or not...probably not. This is Marvel Comics we're talking about here. I mean, DC is just as guilty at times, but it's not nearly as often since they have legacy characters often take over the role.

I was hoping Magneto had a little more up his sleeve. That was the biggest disappointment this issue, for me.

I'm still wondering: Where the hell is Cable? It's been far too long for the recovering excuse, and his body should be able to heal him at a phenomenal rate since it's no longer busy fighting the Phalanx Virus.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »

One of the reasons I am slowly, yet surely, slipping away from Marvel (and DC for the most part) I am just tired if the retread idea's and plot points. It's no one's fault, but after almost 50 years worth of story-telling, the "WOW ... Cool!!" factor has very little chance of happening any longer. Sure, there is one here and there but for the most part, all I see is stuff I have seen before. Some newly twisted, but the same. One of the many disadvantages of getting really old, I suppose
 Grin

What is this ... the 5th time Xavier has died?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »

I went ahead and spoiled myself and I'm not happy.  I'll withhold final judgement until I get my books this weekend but my first reaction was to roll my eyes and groan.

Why is it the current crop of writers can't figure out how to use Xavier?  He is a critical character for the X-Men and no one can figure out how to use him since the Claremont/Byrne days?  Grrrrr.  I think this is lazy writing b/c they don't want to deal with him in the picture.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:12:05 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 04:20:52 AM »

Ok - I just read issue 11 and I'm not convinced that the spoiler above is right.  Let me explain.....

It looks to me like Scott just knocked him uncouncious.  I have no doubt he's got some serious damage but I don't think he's dead.  I could be wrong but I would expect to see a lot of tears or more shocked reactions.  It looked to me like everyone was sad at how low Scott had fallen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS