HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:43:11 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 52  (Read 13989 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 21, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »

So my boy drops of my weekly stack I borrow from him, and this time he brings me all his issues to 52 (Or at least all weekly 52 issues). He found my new enjoyment of DC very amusing (as I know so little about the old DC) and figured he would school me. Is there something I need to know before diving into this? I know it is redundant now, and I also know it brings back the multiple Earths, but is there a set up I need?

Edit - When I say I knew so little, I mean ... I knew most of the players and hell, even knew most of their backgrounds/origins I just don't know too much of the meat of each character. I know Booster Gold is from the future, he is ...was friends with Beetle and he has a sidekick Skeet, but other than that ...

That is the kind of non-DC knowledge I have  Grin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:13:18 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »

Actually,

You will probably be fine. 52 was originally intended to fill in the gaps created by DC's ONE YEAR LATER event, but it ended up being a somewhat self contained and tremendously good story of its own accord. So much so, that there were several mega 52 books at the end of the series to tie up ONE YEAR LATER events(almost as an after thought).

Just enjoy 52, and ask if you have backstory questions along the way.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »

Just read a few pages of the first issue. What is all the devastation around?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »

I remember right it picks up after Infinate Crisis.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »

I remember right it picks up after Infinate Crisis.

Ooohhhh ... so ... all that devastation is ... is ... because ...

... but is there a set up I need?

Grin Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »

I think it was from all the devastation Superboy Prime did in his lust for revenge.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »

I think it was from all the devastation Superboy Prime did in his lust for revenge.

Ahh, Okay. Thanks.  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:32:57 AM »

I forgot about the society of villains - there was all out war between villains and heroes also.  Lot of devastation there too.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »

I forgot about the society of villains - there was all out war between villains and heroes also.  Lot of devastation there too.

Cool, cool.

Now that I just finished issue #2, I am kinda pissed I didn't get this series. Had I known it had the cool "History of the DCU" as a back story, I would've. I mean, I remember a lot of stuff from the classic Crisis on Infinite by Wolfman and Perez, but it is nice to get a refresher as I was basically only touching the DCU every once in a while since then. Oh well.

Question, Does it ever get revealed WHY the trio "went away"? I think this is the time Batman got hit with Darkseid's beam and got times dispersed ... (right?) but we see Clark running around. And what about Diana?

Sorry for the influx of questions.
 Grin

EDIT - Actually, could I get a timeline of prior to 52?

I am assuming as Sue is dead in this that IDENTITY CRISIS has just happened, and thanks to Jeff, I know that VILLAINS UNITED happened prior, but has AMAZONS ATTACK and the death of Batman happened? And is there another "event" that DC rolled out prior to this that I need to know?

As you can see, my DC timeline SUCKS !!!!  Grin One reason I was happy for the reboot.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:39:25 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »

No, Batman doesn't get time misplaced until Final Crisis which is a long way off from where your at.

Read this:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Crisis

The plot summary will probably help you out.

BTW: this is my favorite DC story of all time.  Matched my youg excitement of the original Crisis on Infinite Earths did way back in the 80's.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:54:40 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »

Oh yeah ... okay ... so do the trinity have a reason for "not being around"? is it revealed I mean?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »

No, Batman doesn't get time misplaced until Final Crisis which is a long way off from where your at.

Read this:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Crisis

The plot summary will probably help you out.

Will it spoil anything I am reading now?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »

No, it won't spoil anything in 52.  It just summarizes everything that happened in Infinite Crisis. If you had read that then you would know why Bats and Wonder Woman are MIA and why Supes has no powers.  But honestly this story is about the minor characters and you dont HAVE to know about the big 3 to enjoy it.

It will, of course, completely spoil Infinite Crisis if your plan on reading that.

Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »

Oh yeah ... okay ... so do the trinity have a reason for "not being around"? is it revealed I mean?

Short version:

Wonder Woman: Diana had to kill Maxwell Lord because he was controling uperman to cause genreal havoc.  In dealing with the fallout of this from the comdemnation of Batman and Superman, the inspiration it provided the Amazons to be more fierce, and a talk with the spirit of her Earth 2 counterpart, she decided to put Wonder Woman away for a while and live as a human to "temper the warrior with humility" so something like that.

Batman: The Identidy Crisis mindwipes made Batman more paranoid than ever to the point of builind a computerized satalite (brother eye) to monitor them, which of course got hyjacked.  Realizing his distrust lead to a lot of damage he opted for a training trip with Robin and nightwing to re-learn to be Batman as a team player, not a solo act.

Superman: Superboy Prime was stopped by taking im to a red sun which ultimatlely de-powered Clark for the year. 
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »

Oh sweet, man. Mucho props  Cool

On issue 6 now, were we find Booster is the reason time is out of whack !!! or so we are told. (Love how Skeets is all screwy)
 Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS