HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:21:47 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ranking my pull list  (Read 4371 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 18, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

Starting a new topic so we don't hijack http://www.herorealm.com/hrboards/index.php?topic=5530.15;topicseen#lastPost.

I need to rank my list from favorite to least favorite.  Maybe that will help me chop.

Yeah, tried that once. You may have better success than I, but for me it was an utter failure.  Grin Too many variables like :
Upcoming comics - Comics not started yet, that I know are coming (SHADOW or JSA)
Upcoming arcs - Comics that have something I want to read (Shazam in the JUSTICE LEAGUE)
Upcoming artist - Simonson on AVENGERS starting at 25 (After I canceled the title)
Upcoming writers - Had no clue about Brubaker's FATALE until it was almost too late

It is just hard to cut back when the future is around the corner and that is not even going into the comics you enjoy now. It is, sadly, the only true way to do it, but damn if it isn't hard. As it stands for me, I am trying to cut $5 off of my order every month. Regardless of amount of titles. That is why a lot of the $3.99 ones are hitting the wayside. I can get more books if I stick to the $2.99 ones.
 Grin
(But that is also impossible for me to stick to)
 Angry

I went ahead and tried this exercise and I see what you mean.  This is not easy.

Here is my ranked list of ongoings.

1   X-FACTOR
2   WOLVERINE
3   WALKING DEAD
4   UNCANNY X-FORCE
5   NEXT MEN
6   BATWOMAN
7   SCALPED
8   FANTASTIC FOUR
9   SUICIDE SQUAD
10   ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN
11   BIRDS OF PREY
12   ANIMAL MAN
13   SWAMP THING
14   DAREDEVIL
15   INVINCIBLE
16   BATMAN AND ROBIN
17   GREEN LANTERN
18   NIGHTWING
19   INCREDIBLE HULK
20   X-MEN LEGACY
21   JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
22   WONDER WOMAN
23   LEGION LOST
24   LEGION OF SUPER HEROES
25   WOLVERINE AND X-MEN
26   NEW AVENGERS
27   AVENGERS
28   JUSTICE LEAGUE

BUT - I have these three that I have ordered and suspect I'm going to like and they will be up in the top part of my list:

BATMAN - going solely on Perry's recommendation but wouldn't doubt that I'll like it
WINTER SOLDIER - Bru writing Bucky is my favorite
SECRET AVENGERS - actually this is currently on but was going to be dropped until they announced Remeder is writing it.  I suspect I will love what he does with this team.

Then there's all the mini's I get:
FATALE
WHISPERS
AVENGERS X-SANCTION
RACHEL RISING
SAGA
WOLVERINE AND X-MEN ALPHA AND OMEGA
MAGNETO NOT A HERO
SHIELD
STAR TREK/LEGION OF SUPERHEROES

And then of course, there's the titles I read in TPB.
FABLES TP
MORNING GLORIES TP

One could argue that if I cut out all of the Mini's then my pull list gets more affordable.  But is that realistic?  Maybe on a few but seems like there's always something that sounds fun and I want to get.

What to do.....what to do......

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:08:18 PM »

SAGA is an ongoing
Just to add fuel

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »

Hmmmmm, let see what I can come up with ...

1) MOON KNIGHT
2) BATMAN
3) DAREDEVIL
4) WONDER WOMAN
5) SWAMP THING
6) FANTASTIC FOUR
7) CAPTAIN AMERICA
Cool FATALE
9) PUNISHER
10) BIRDS OF PREY
11) GREEN LANTERN
12) AQUAMAN
13) GREEN LANTERN CORPS
14) BATWOMAN (just because of face color thing)
15) JUSTICE LEAGUE
16) ANIMAL MAN

On my list, but have not yet read ...

WINTER SOLDIER
SAGA
STAR WARS DAWN OF THE JEDI

Trades I get ...

WALKING DEAD (TPB)
RACHAEL RISING (TPB)
FABLES (TPB)
AMERICAN VAMPIRE (TPB)
CRIMINAL (and related TPB)
SAVAGE SWORD of CONAN (B&W Essential)
Various Marvel Essentials (MARVEL TEAM-UP, DR. STRANGE, ect ...)
INVINCIBLE (HC)
POWERS (HC)

Absolutely killing me not to add monthly....

NIGHT FORCE
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE
X-FACTOR

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »

I would put X-Factor over a whole bunch of the titles on your list so it killing me to that its not there!   Angry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:02:19 AM »

I would put X-Factor over a whole bunch of the titles on your list so it killing me to that its not there!   Angry

But that is one of the few that I get from my boy. That is what is so hard to buy it. In fact, he should be over tomorrow to hook me up with the current issue.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:07:12 AM »

Ah!  Ok as long as your reading it I get it.  No, I agree.  No need for you to pay for it since your not really collecting.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »

Here goes Round 2 for the year - Based off my pull list for February.....

1   X-FACTOR                    Maintains it's #1 spot
2   BATMAN                    New Entry this month went straight to #2!
3   UNCANNY X-FORCE    Up one from #4!
4   SCALPED                    Up three from #7
5   WALKING DEAD         Down two from 3rd only b/c others got better - this one is still a must read every month
6   NEXT MEN AFTERMATH    Down one b/c of Batman
7   SUICIDE SQUAD            Up two from #9!
8   BATWOMAN            Down two from #6
9   WOLVERINE            Way down from #2!  Not sure why.
10   ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN    Maintained its #10 spot
11   FANTASTIC FOUR    Down two from #8
12   ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES    New Entry this month 
13   FATALE                    New Entry this month 
14   RACHEL RISING            New Entry this month 
15   SWAMP THING            Down two from #13
16   DAREDEVIL            Down two from #14
17   INVINCIBLE (Not in Previews this month)   Down two from #15
18   GREEN LANTERN            Down one from #17
19   X-MEN LEGACY    Up one from #19 - this surprised me as I didn't think my enjoyment for it increased.  I think it benefited from others going down.
20   WOLVERINE AND X-MEN    Up FIVE from #25 - another surprise as I almost dropped this.
21   NIGHTWING    Down three from #18 - this one is probably headed for the chopping block after the Court of Owls crossover finishes.
22   WOLVERINE AND X-MEN ALPHA AND OMEGA    New Entry this month 
23   ANIMAL MAN    Big drop. Down eleven from #12!  Didn't realize that happened - doesn't bode well for Buddy Baker.
24   BATMAN AND ROBIN    Another big drop.  Down eight from #16.  Proabaly didn't help that I picked up Batman and this one pales in comparison.
25   JUSTICE LEAGUE    Actually went up three spots from last place #28.  It could benefit from the upcoming Shazam storyline.
26   LEGION LOST    Dropped three from #23.  Wildfire and Dawnstar are my two favorite Legionairres so this greatly saddens me.  They may not make it after the apt titled "Culling" crossover.
27   NEW AVENGERS    Dropped one from #26 - No surprise - I only picked them up looking for that old rush from Norman Osborn.  Sadly, second time around isn't doing it.
28   AVENGERS    Dropped one from #27 - Same as New Avenger above.  This has the added detractor of Red Hulk.

Dropped completely      
   11   BIRDS OF PREY   
   19   INCREDIBLE HULK   
   21   JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK   
   22   WONDER WOMAN   
   24   LEGION OF SUPER HEROES   

And Finally - These are on the pull list but I haven't read any of them yet.      
   AVENGERS VS X-MEN    I have high hope so I worry I'll be disappointed.
   AVX VS    This one's just for fun.  I doubt it will be high on the list but it's a mini and won't be around long.
   MANHATTAN PROJECTS    Johnathon Hickman - I expect this will be high on the list.
   SAGA    Brian K Vaughn - I'll be surprised if it doesn't find its way to the top.
   SECRET    Another Johathon Hickman book - not as excited about this one but he surprises me.
   SECRET SERVICE    Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons - How can this be bad?
   SHADOW    If Perry's as right about this one as he was about Batman, it could do well on the list.
   SECRET AVENGERS    Rick Remeder takes this over and his Uncanny X-Force is at the top (#3) so its chances are good.
   WINTER SOLDIER    Love the writer (Brubaker) and love the character.  It's out but I haven't read it yet.  No doubt it will propel to the top.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS