HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:34:06 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why GOON is great  (Read 6018 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 11, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »

I collect The GOON in trade, and below you will see just a brief image of why I enjoy it  ...

Cheesy

From Darkhorse solits

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »

Always heard good things about GOON......any recommendations on a good place to start and get my feet wet? Or the beginning is as good a place as any?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »

To me, Vol 2 (if we are talking about trades) is the best place to start. It is the true start of the Dark Horse series. It really is more of a serial from that point on as compared to the first two volumes (0 and 1).

Eric Powell doesn't get his true 'goon groove' on until later issues (or volumes) when the likes of Dr. Alloy and the Buzzard start their rounds and I think Goon and Frankie start killing more Zombies.
 Grin

The true talent is in the art, as each panel, in the later volumes, look like those of cartoon cells. Really is incredible.

Have you seen the preview to the movie ... that has been on hold forever? Here is a brief look if you haven't ... and the comic looks JUST LIKE this ... well, not just ...
 Wink

CLICK HERE DARN YA

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:37 PM »

Thanks Perry...I'll hunt down the trades starting with vol.2

Won't I need to read at least volume 1 though to get his origin or what not?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »

Thanks Perry...I'll hunt down the trades starting with vol.2

Won't I need to read at least volume 1 though to get his origin or what not?

Been awhile (in other words, I need to reread these  Grin) but I believe his "origin is one that comes along later. I know we don't find out about his scar on his face until the Chinatown one. His origin may be in that one as well.

It isn't really much of an origin ...  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »

Okay, ya made me go back and check ...  Cheesy

Yes, Vol 2 does have the origin.

Now, one thing, don't pay full price for the Goon. There is a lot of cool art, and the story can be funny, but there are a lot of times little happens. Make sure if you go goon, go cheap.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:26:52 PM by Perry » Logged

HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

Okay, ya made me go back and check ...  Cheesy

Yes, Vol 2 does have the origin.

Now, one thing, don't pay full price for the Goon. There is a lot of cool art, and the story can be funny, but there are a lot of times little happens. Make sure if you go goon, go cheap.
 Smiley

Didn't you know?  Cheap is my middle name!  Less than $7 brand new cheap enough?

Amazon has it for less than $12, and I got a leftover $5 Amazon GC lying here somewhere....

The Goon Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood & Other Grievous Years (New Printing) (Goon (Numbered)) by Eric Powell (Paperback - Oct 20, 2010)
Buy new: $11.55

Plus I have Amazon Prime...so free 2 day shipping!

I'll let you know when I get around to reading it.....that's the hard part!

Thanks for checking for me and for the recommendation!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 04:09:02 AM »

Plus I have Amazon Prime...so free 2 day shipping!

I love Amazon Prime.

Off topic but I just had to say it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS