HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 03:29:58 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How Bout that NEW DCU!?  (Read 7484 times)
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:53 AM »

So,

It's been 5 months, how are the books?

I am reading and liking Animal Man, Stormwatch, Wonder Woman, Justice League Dark, Green Lantern New Guardians and Green Lantern. I am reading Justice League through the first arc, but I am not really feeling it. And I think the story is drawn out longer than it should without really showcasing what each character is bringing to the table. And I am reading Hawk and Dove as I have always liked the concept, and I find it funny Dove and Deadman are breaking up in each titile for different reasons. Good thing the universe restarted so the books could be inconsistent in the shared universe.

52 was my gateway to drop most of the titles in a universe I once loved best.

How are the rest of you doing?

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:09:41 AM »

If you like Animal Man then pick up Swamp Thing.  Both are fighting the Rot and leading up to a cross over.

My pull list has changed a bit on the DC books.  Overall I like what they're doing.  Some of the books I thought I'd love left me empty (Justice League and Aquaman for example) so I dropped them.  Others I had no interst in but wound up liking a lot (Suicide Squad, Justice League Dark, and Voodoo for example).

My surprise favorite is Suicide Squad, I think.  Harley Quinn is pretty good in this book.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:25:47 PM »

When DC announced the 52 books, I said I would get 7. I ended up getting 31.  Cheesy I then said I would get it down to 10 after 4 months. On some of the titles, that was easy for me to do as books like GREEN ARROW, JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL and BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT were pretty much a slap in the face from the start and were easy to drop. While others such as JUSTICE LEAGUE (written totally out of character), NIGHTWING (Having the Slott effect) and BATGIRL (so wanted to be wow'ed by Gail) were a little tougher to drop.

I honestly would like to get down to my original desire of only getting 7 (as I was only getting two DC books prior to 52, this is still a win for DC), but I don't know where I will make my cut as my current list of 10 is pretty damn good (Jeff and I differ on AQUAMAN, and that is cool, and I certainly see his point. Cool):

AQUAMAN
ANIMAL MAN
BATMAN
BATMAN & ROBIN
BATWOMAN
BIRDS of PREY
GREEN LANTERN
GREEN LANTERN CORPS
SWAMP THING
WONDER WOMAN

Plus with books like JSA (or some version) soon coming and me still fighting off the urge to add the mini NIGHT FORCE to this months preorder, DC has me for awhile.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »

52 was my gateway to drop most of the titles in a universe I once loved best.

You took the words right out of my mouth. 

I've read a good amount of the new DCU, giving almost everything at least 2 issues, and it's not my cup of tea.  Aside from the Vertigo titles that I consistently enjoy, DC lost me for the time being.....

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »

Wow, Glenn. Totally shocked you at least didn't like WONDER WOMAN, SWAMP THING and BATMAN. three of the best titles out there for my money right now. In fact ... I know all three are in my top five (With DAREDEVIL and FF being the other two)

EDIT - I did forget that WW is done by one of your favorite writers  Cheesy so that one I get.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:27:46 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »

I think my dropping Aquaman had more to do with my lack of interest in the character rather than the quality of the book.  Really more of a personal thing than a reflection on the book itself.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »

I think my dropping Aquaman had more to do with my lack of interest in the character rather than the quality of the book.  Really more of a personal thing than a reflection on the book itself.

I can see it.  Smiley

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »

Wow, Glenn. Totally shocked you at least didn't like WONDER WOMAN, SWAMP THING and BATMAN. three of the best titles out there for my money right now. In fact ... I know all three are in my top five (With DAREDEVIL and FF being the other two)

EDIT - I did forget that WW is done by one of your favorite writers  Cheesy so that one I get.

Yes, I am boycotting WW just on principle.....A$$arello is the biggest douche in the comic biz that I have met in person.

I am getting Batman....always one of my favorite characters.  Plus I like Snyder and Capullo....

I've never been big into Swamp Thing.  I know that everyone loves it, and it's critically acclaimed, but just never been interested....

For DCU proper, I've just been getting Justice League, Action, Superman, Batman, and 'Tec.......pretty much to keep abreast of what's going on.....

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »

I've never been big into Swamp Thing. 

Me neither, until I read this. Snyder is just that good. Of course, it is not an action packed book, but I am surprised how much I look forward to the next issue each month.

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 08:14:14 AM »

You know,

My last trip to the store, I thumbed through the Superman books. Nothing grabbed me, and I suddenly wondered why Superman looks about the same age as Superboy now. In its attempt to reinvent the characters, DC seems to have made some of the characters as dull and watered down clones who just have the same name as characters I once knew.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS