HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:12:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BATMAN  (Read 57031 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 03:33:02 PM »

Man - I am SOOOOO tempted to look at that spoiler.    Angry

Do they reveal it in that issue?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »

I don't know...but it's a big spoiler! I fell prey, but I think you should hold strong Jeff!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »

Thanks Jimbo - I'm holding strong....at least for today.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »

Thanks Jimbo - I'm holding strong....at least for today.   Grin

Well it depends on if you are buying it or not.

If you are questioning or you are set on dropping the book because of that suit, then yes, look at the spoiler or trust me enough when I say don't drop the book until you read this issue. Decide after that issue, because you may end up kicking yourself for not buying it.
 Wink

If you are not dropping the book at all, then sure, you can wait. Hopefully they will blast the thing all at once and not make it obvious leading up to it.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 05:45:43 PM »

I have it pre-ordered at the moment.  I'll keep it on.  Now if it turns out to be something like Mr. Mxyzptlk I'll kill you.  Ha Ha!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »

I got spoiled by the Divergence Free Comic Book day issue.  After reading that I wasn't excited and planned on dropping it.

Then issue 41 arrived and I just finished reading it.  Great start and worth keeping on the pull. Continues the great story telling Snyder is doing with Batman.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2015, 02:37:48 AM »

So, I am in the process of reading all the recent back issues from DC that I have ad for a few months, but sorely behind on. Hopefully I will be caught up by the end of next week, but I do have a lot. So, much like the recent reading lists for MU, here is what I am behind on, yet trying to power through currently (If I can keep away from that darn Birthright title that keeps staring at me begging me to get back on board and read past the 5th issue)

Batman - issues 39 through 44 -
Just finished #38 and I just can't believe I have spent the last 4 months or so reading every other creator title that I came across, instead of focusing on this great, fantastic beast of a book. Yes, I found some great new titles I am going to read, but this should be one of the first books I read each month, period. It is just that damn good. From the art, to the plotting, to the characterization. This is the book. Can't believe I am 5 issues behind. I will be finishing these off before moving to ...

Lobo - issues 5 through 10 -
Just tries the first 4 issues of this, because as you know I need another title to add  Roll Eyes and while I only graded it a "5" (a good but not great comic. A regular fare of a book) I have been thinking more about it over the past two days or so. I likened it to Jurgens, and the more I think about it, the more I get that "feeling". It is not the same voice, but it has the same tempo as a Jurgens book. Gonna keep going and see if I will continue after the ten issues I have.

Batgirl - issues 35-43 -
The "new look" Batgirl. I have read issue one, a long time ago, but I decided to jump in and make this a regular pull, until I get to #43 at least and see where I stand. I have always loved the character, and actually got these the day I heard that Yvonne Craig passed away (well, I got up to issue 42 at that time, I think). The thought of "my" Batgirl dying made me miss this title, so I jumped in. And hey, No Gail Simone, so that is a plus. After this, I am tossing it up in the air. I may go back to Batman or finally hit those speedster issues I have been trying to get to. Hell I may stick to the same style as Batgirl and read all the issues I have of ...

Gotham Academy- issues 1 through 10
Never read anything of this. Interested. but for the next titles, if not this one, I have to read the following -

Detective - 37-44
Grayson - 9-12
Flash 30 - 43
We Are Robin - 2 + 3
Robin Son of Batman 2 + 3
Aquaman ... Hell, at least starting with the Sneak Peak issue, but how far should I go back on that one? Jimmy?

I still have -
Green Lantern 35 - 44
Green Arrow 20 - 44
Plus every issue of these to read:
Sinestro
Justice League 3000
Justice League 3001
Injustice Gods Among Us (All four Years)

So not tooooo bad. Just 16 DC titles (about 150 issues) I need to catch up on.  Cheesy   Undecided Undecided  Sadly I spent too much time on Superman.
 Grin  Cheesy 

(As I said, it is just too damn easy to click and have these comics to read, Jeff. Be careful)
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »

(As I said, it is just too damn easy to click and have these comics to read, Jeff. Be careful)
 Undecided

I should have warned you Perry.  I started buying digital on Comixology a couple of years ago when Glenn was posting all those free issues.  Then I got hooked on the 99 cent issues of Flash and Aquaman.  I think I still have a gazillion issues of Warlord of Mars and all the Wonderland titles sitting in there unread.  I stopped because I was buyin way more than I could read.  But now that I'm used to waiting six months with MU I'm thinking I can wait for the DC titles to go to 99 cents before buying them. Your right though.  It's a slippery slope as I'm sure at some point I won't be able to wait and it will be too easy to click and read!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »

So, I am in the process of reading all the recent back issues from DC that I have ad for a few months, but sorely behind on. Hopefully I will be caught up by the end of next week, but I do have a lot. So, much like the recent reading lists for MU, here is what I am behind on, yet trying to power through currently (If I can keep away from that darn Birthright title that keeps staring at me begging me to get back on board and read past the 5th issue)

Ya know...Birthright is ONLY up through issue 10 right now. Wink

HA!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »

I should have warned you Perry. 

Yes, yes you should have. THANKS, MAN !!  Angry

Cheesy Cheesy

Ya know...Birthright is ONLY up through issue 10 right now. Wink
HA!  Cheesy

Yeah, but that is a whole 5 issues  Cheesy Cheesy

Trying to get up on DC so I can stay caught up monthly ... hopefully.

That said -
Finished Batman, well, I got caught up. I absolutely love how Capullo draws "this" Batman. Skinnier, smaller of frame. Just a nice touch. Glad he (or Snyder) put some thought into it.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »

So, my pre-order copy of Batman: Endgame finally arrived. This is the first Snyder/Capullo volume that I have not read ahead of time, and I understand it to be a doozy. So, to truly digest it, enjoy it, savor it; I read it over an hour and a half last night.

THIS WAS THE BEST THING EVER!!!!

Okay, a bit of extemporaneous exposition aside; this was utterly fantastic!! I wish I could have my mind wiped, JUST so I could have the experience of reading this for the first time, without any spoilers, gone from my memory!

I love to reread Priest's Black Panther for the feeling of amazement. To see the story unfold as it does. To experience the craft of creation of excellence. I reread Miller's Daredevil to watch the inevitable build of drama that is heightened by seeing the appearance of death and love repeating throughout his work; that is a book that rings loudest at its crescendo.

But this...I want to feel that sense of horror. That feeling that everything Joker does is a terrible, horrible game to him. I loved that Snyder really brought back the Joker that did his devilish puns. A Joker that was knowledgeable about history to make his pseudonym name. To make puns about what Batman needed to get from his spine. To reference the danger of Alfred to King Lear. I love that Joker!!

I don't know how one is able to write about psychosis, but Snyder ran a great comic-book style psych major flag up the pole to have this come through.

I love the purported rumor of Joker's eternal history of evil in Gotham. See, Marvel? This was how Wolverine was so cool for so long; mystery! One hand shows while the other hand hides and disseminates! You've lost that! Is Joker immortal? Was that him throughout time? Was he something else besides a  thug with big britches as the Red Hood? I don't know; but the mystery or threat of it makes it something more!!

To watch Bruce, even from 'Death of the Family' until now always have to convince himself that Joker 'is just a man' shows how much even he was scared of him. To know that yes, Joker has always known who he was under the hood, and that it never mattered shows how damned crazy he was.

Capullo's art? just loved it. Just love it here. I'm so happy he's no longer the Macfarlane ape he once was. I love this man's stylings. His mark on this book is why I continue to buy these trades sight unseen.

Now, most of the time I just scoff at people when "Oh, Batman is waaay cooler than Superman! Batman's the best!" Yeah, yeah I say. He looks neat. I get it. I laugh when you say that 'anyone could be Batman.' Pshaw.

But when there is a book like this, it's hard to deny that Batman is the character that everyone should have as their favorite.

Can't get enough of this stuff. I'm sure Robo-Mecha/Bunny-Batman is just as good.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »

Just got caught up on all the Batman issues and I can only agree.

Love the way they are portraying the Joker here, and what's better, how his anger and motivation ties into what happened during that "Death in the Family" arc.
It is really creepy to think about his past. Love seeing those photos. Just a figure with a white smile here and there Wink

And the way that
this element/fluid/mineral ties into the Owl group as well

And if you think you appreciate Capullo's art right now, just wait until the next arc. They way ... no, I better not say anything yet, but when you start reading, let me know and I will explain one thing, one simple thing, that really makes me respect the way Capullo and Snyder work together (I say them as a team, because while I was just giving Capullo the credit for it, I am not really sure who is responsible for the thing I am thinking of  Cheesy)

Also, going sideways for a second, I like that DC isn't too concerned with continuity. Allowing Snyder to tell his Batman story and Johns to tell his JLA story (that heavily involves Batman) with-out having one title be forced to include what is happening in the other, is a good thing. By letting each writer to just tell their story, there is a better chance of having two great stories instead of one great story and one mediocre tie-in.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2015, 02:57:26 PM »

Also, going sideways for a second, I like that DC isn't too concerned with continuity. Allowing Snyder to tell his Batman story and Johns to tell his JLA story (that heavily involves Batman) with-out having one title be forced to include what is happening in the other, is a good thing. By letting each writer to just tell their story, there is a better chance of having two great stories instead of one great story and one mediocre tie-in.

And, for DC's influence or want of 'writers tell good stories in your titles and don't worry about the other stuff' I fully agree. Because, once all stories are told, collected, and bought at random intervals by fans, the story they want is on the shelf. And it doesn't matter if MechaBatman is in Justice League-because Justice League's reach and story is beyond the minutiae occurring within the title. For that, I like!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »

Yep yep

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS