HR Boards
January 18, 2021, 10:13:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Uncharted premieres in theaters July 6, 2021!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NIGHTWING  (Read 2277 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 30, 2011, 05:18:51 AM »

NIGHTWING #1

(As always with me, if I underline the title and issue as I have above, there is a good chance of spoilers because I am discussing that issue)

First of all, this issue is probably the most "new reader friendly" of any of the 52 that I have read. They don't beat you over the head with exposition, but lay enough out there for anyone to get an idea of what has gone on before, to lead Dick to this point.

There is one flaw in the story however. When Dick leaves the cops to battle this new foe ... to change clothes ... he gets two cops murdered. I found that a major bummer in the writing, but not as much as Dick's attitude about the deaths. "That was on me" ... what?

Come on man.

The art was pretty good however, so that almost makes up for that horrible character flaw.

Other than that, a nice first set-up issue, but nothing spectacular. A typical average comic. Though I did really like the clowns argument about not wanting to wear the green wig (made him look just like Joker). That gives the comic one extra point.  Grin

6 outta 10 trapeze artists

"I do not have OCD. I know. I've checked. Three or four hundred times and I definitely don't. I stopped myself from catching it by washing my hands an even number of times"
David Mitchell
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:06:41 AM »

Agreed. Not bad but nothing to get excited about. I am curious about the villains motive and wouldn't mind seeing how that plays out.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »

LOVED seeing Dick as Nightwing and back in his own series. Yeah, one of the better new 52 titles.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »

NIGHTWING ISSUE #4

Well after two issues with glaring dialog/panel problems (all personal) and a lack luster third issue, I had dropped this title from my pull last month. It is now going back on.

Even with the fill in artist (which was pretty good for my eyes) I enjoyed this issue more than any of the other past three. Not sure why. Maybe it was because I read JUSTICE LEAGUE #4 (what in the world is going on with Johns?) before getting to this or maybe because I was expecting another flawed panel or two of writing and when it didn't happen I was just too shocked. Whatever it was, I enjoyed this issue.

Barbara Gordon and Dick have always played well off each other and they do the same here. May have to go back and reread issue 4 of BATGIRL to see if I can get into Bab's and Dick's talk in that title. Something I couldn't do a couple weeks ago.

"I do not have OCD. I know. I've checked. Three or four hundred times and I definitely don't. I stopped myself from catching it by washing my hands an even number of times"
David Mitchell
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS