HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:42:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WOLVERINE and the X-MEN  (Read 9059 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 01, 2011, 02:57:54 AM »

Angry

Angry

Just ...  Angry

I just flipped through issue 1 of this series ...  Angry ... just flipped through ... There is no way I can NOT add this title.

Angry

CRAP !!!!!!

With Wolverine 300 enticing me ... I may actually get pulled the hell into 2 Wolverine titles ...  Angry
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:51:18 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »

Just sent email to DCBS ... Please add issue 2 and 3 of this title to my order for this month

DAMN YOU, Jason Aaron. DAAAAMN YOUUUU

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:05:58 AM »

Awesome!  I can't wait to get them!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

Didn't think you were a fan of Bachalo's art (though I may be wrong), so that may lessen your enjoyment factor. I enjoy it, as it is very ... very stylized, which I love most of the time, but there are panels where I just scratch my head wondering what he is thinking.

For example, there is a panel in this book where Kitty looks to be all of 10 years old and that kind of "artistic faux pas" just really takes me out of the story. There is also a scene in which Logan is just walking, but his stride, seen in profile, looks like something out of Crumb's "KEEP ON TRUCKIN'" ... SEEN HERE for you youngin's  Grin (not that over the top, mind you, but hit me as similar)

But overall, I find him to be very enjoyable with his take on things (his backgrounds are really fun), but I thought you had or would have a different opinion. Usually, much like Humberto Ramos, fans either love their stuff or hate it. To me, I find that it depends on their project.

Ramos for example is almost perfection on AMAZING, as his lines, although incredibly different that Ditko's, have that same "swooping", long arc style to them. But I would hate to see him on ... say ... PUNISHER where his style would add too much levity to the tone of the book. (Bachalo was also good on AMAZING.)  Wink

Anyway ... this long winded post was just an assumption of your likes that got outta hand.  Grin

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:13:03 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »

No, you are correct on my disdain for Bachlo's art. It will lesson my enjoyment but I had assumed Aaron's story is what got you excited and I'm a big fan of Aaron and his work on Wolverine.

I do agree with you that Bachlo's work seems to fit more in Spider-Man.  That's the only time it doesnt bother me.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »

... I had assumed Aaron's story is what got you excited

It certainly didn't hurt  Grin

There are parts that I find "meh", but overall I enjoyed the writing in this issue. I am really ... REALLY not familiar with most of these characters, so I am not sure who is new, if anyone is, but I found that my lack of knowledge, strangely, was an enjoyable aspect to this book ... it is usually the opposite for me ... not enjoying the small aspects of 'being in the loop' as it were.

Really good humor part with ... well .. I will wait until you have read it.

Kamden
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »

I am not a huge X-men fan, but I bought in after the premise of "Wolverine, Headmaster of the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning" hit me.

First it has two of my favorite X-men on the roster, Cannonballs and Iceman (as the financial wizard), and it has Doop handling student registration... Let that sink in. Toad is a janitor. Xavier's words of wisdom for Logan are great as well. And the very recognizable gremlins are a thing of beauty.

The book was just a tour of the school as the board of education evaluated it.

It was just a truly brilliant book; I am in for a X book that isn't Force or Factor.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »

Welcome to the Realm, Kamden.

As a self-professed hater of all X books (solely because I have a habit of buying more and more titles, once I start buying just one Grin), I had no problem adding this title to my pull, for essentially the same reasons you stated.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »

Well, just got a look at the new artist for this title. Looks like Marvel is trying to help me out. This does not look appealing to me at all. Plus, another of those double shipping months for 5 and 6.

Lets see ... do I really want to pay twice the price for art I don't enjoy?

Marvel may lose me on an X book, just when they had me

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

WOLVERINE and the X-MEN Issue #4

With Aaron leaving WOLVERINE proper at issue 305, I am not sure if the humorous theme of this title will change (to give Aaron his rough Wolverine outlet) but for now, this title is getting PAD funny. Yeah, that is a good thing. Kinda. I do struggle with a humorous Logan, but I can overcome it fairly easy when it is done well like it is here.

Still love Broo (A combination of Brood and Groo?  Grin) being on this team as I do the young, soon to be Gladiator. Both add a good slice of the humor to this book.

Still struggle with this "flat-faced" art. Everything else is fine, but these faces ... theses poor flat faces.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:31 AM »

Just finished issue 4 and I'm glad I kept this title on my pull list.

Best issue so far and the art still isn't great but better than Bachlo's.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS