HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 06:01:40 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DC reveals Wonder Woman's father is....  (Read 4678 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: October 13, 2011, 01:26:06 AM »

By DAREH GREGORIAN/the New York Post

By Zeus! Wonder Woman is a daddy's girl.
The iconic character is getting something she's never had in her almost 70-year-old history -- a father.

"She's going to learn she's not who she was told she was," "Wonder Woman" writer Brian Azzarello told The Post.

A storyline in the amazing Amazon's newly relaunched comic will reveal she's actually the daughter of Zeus, the thunderbolt throwing father of the Olympian gods.

That's a seismic change in the character's mythology, which is one that stood out as unusual even in a universe where characters get heat vision and the power of flight after being rocketed to Earth from a distant planet.

In the original comics, Wonder Woman's mother, Amazon queen Hippolyta, fashioned her baby Diana out of clay, and the clay was given life and superpowers by Greek goddesses.

When they relaunched their entire line of comics last month, DC Comics figured it was a good time to break the mold.

"In this case, making her a god actually makes her more human, more relatable," DC co-publisher Jim Lee said.

"Everybody's got a father," Azzarello said. "Even if he's not the nicest guy in the world."

The braceleted beauty won't discover her true origins until "Wonder Woman" No. 3, which goes on sale next month. The paternity revelation is one of several DC will be dropping about their retooled characters at the New York Comic Con, which kicks off at the Javits Center on Thursday.

"We're approaching all the classic characters in a way that feels true to their origins but thoroughly modern," Lee said.

Wonder Woman has been one of the big winners of the DC relaunch, as the first issue of her critically acclaimed title sold more than 100,000 copies -- her best sales in years.

Now the star-spangled stunner will discover she has a slew of new relatives in the Greek gods.

"There are going to be some family issues," Azzarello said, referring to the Olympians as "the original crime family."

He said he's based his take on the Olympians from the original myths.

"They're pretty nasty people," but "they can also do a lot of good. They're like a mirror of human beings, turned up to 11."

And that should bolster Wonder Woman's iconic standing alongside her fellow DC legends Batman and Superman.

"She's an epic character. She needs an epic supporting cast," Azzarello said.
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »

Forgive me if I am wrong,

But the gods were always part of Diana's cast. And the Amazons have always been part of the Greek mythology. The addition of the bloodline seems weird, but I just don't see it as groundbreaking. As for the sales of the book, could that have anything to do with her costume? No pants or generic costume may have brought people to her book again-- it had been a year or more. Another point about her new lineage, it makes her more like the female Hercules or Thor. I like how DC is making the character(s) more readable or marketable by making them like every other comic book character. That is not original or defining.

Were we not promised that there would not be changes to her past? It was hard to believe, since there is no mention of Donna Troy.

I have stood through most of Diana's changes-- not the pants, I had to put the book down for that.

I will continue with the book and hope for some good stories. I really liked the first issue.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »

Hey, Sinisteri!

What are your thoughts of DCnU's new WW series? I am half tempted to get the first three issues. Is it decent?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »

I read issues 1 & 2 yesterday.  I like a loooot more than I thought I would.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »

If you like old school mythology with the "gods" being nothing but bad-asses with serious mental issues  Grin, as they should be ... you should like this book.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »

Try the book.

I am actually liking it. The rewrite is not bad, and the depiction of the gods is good. Hippolyta is blond again. And Paradise Island is not as pretty. I do not think it is as touched by the gods as it used to be.

With the revelation of Diana's parentage, I cannot help but wonder if she is as blessed by the gods as she used to be.

Considering her parentage, she is more like a the female Hercules now.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS