HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:56:20 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GL Gay  (Read 2827 times)
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« on: June 24, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »

So,

The new alternate earth GL is gay. I am not impressed with this turn of events. Entertainment Weekly notes it was a safe choice for the company since it is not a mainstream character.

What I notice is that DC is giving the world it's previous established gay character's father! Interesting. No Obsidian, but his dad is here and out & proud. I wonder if I would have rather liked the original Alan Scott coming out as an older man since that does happen to people. Now, that would have been a new and different story untold in comics to my knowledge.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »

If this would have had no news interest I would have applauded the effort. Now, with DC 'resetting' everything, is the perfect time to add diversity to a company who's catalog of characters were mainly created when white was the only color seen, male was the only sex worth anything and straight was the only way anyone "was".

Sadly, the news whores make this out to be 'news' when I think it is just about time.

Yes, the gay community does 'lose' one gay character for another, and yes, it is an off-shoot of a more well known character (even though this GL came waaay before) but it is a start that I, being not gay, still say was a good move. And at least DC did it a lot better than Marvel with Northstar and his scream ...
 Roll Eyes

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS