HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 05:41:33 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who are today's superstar artists?  (Read 2865 times)
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« on: August 05, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but are there any younger, new, and up and coming artists out there that can sell the books or draw the fans in?

I don't think in the past decade or so, there has been anyone the likes of Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Todd McFarlane, J. Scott Campbell, even Rob Liefeld (shudder) and in a smaller scale Joe Madureira or Mark Bagley.....Just some examples....not saying they were the best, but they had a distinct following that made books sell......

What happened to the page-turning superstar artists?  Who can we consider?  We certainly got people who can draw real good....Ethan Van Sciver, Phil Jimenez, Rags Morales, Stuart Immonen, Jim Cheung, Oliver Coipel, Leinil Yu....but I don't think they have hit the upper echelon where they can draw stick figures and people would line-up to buy it!

Maybe Joe Quesada could've been a contender if he drew something regularly?  I don't know.....what do you guys think?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »

I think quanities limit the "super-stardom" of most of the young artist. Just too many damn books out there.

Back when I was young ... hahaha ... we had like 60 artist. Out of those you had 20 or 25 top tier and out of those you had 10 superstars. Now a days, you have like  500 artists and you still have about 10 superstars.

Most of the younger artist are not as fast as in the old day guys and I say they should be, because mostly, they are not as good. Don't get me wrong, I will certainly take a McNiven or an AJA on anybook I buy, but todays artists kind of blend in together with style. Not saying they look alike and not saying I don't enjoy a ton of them, but you give me:
Buscema (John)
Colan
Kirby
Wrightson
Steranko
Simonson
Sienkiewicz
Ditko
Perez
Kane
Kubert
And three personal favorites:
Sal Buscema
Rich Buckler
and
Gene Day

And put up your list of top 10, or 20 or ...50, omitting these names, and I will beat you every-time.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »

No John Byrne in your old timers list?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS