HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:22:13 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aquaman  (Read 9878 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 28, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »

For those want a peak at the first four pages of the new AQUAMAN #1, Bleeding Cool has it ...

Clicky Here

And it looks Gooood.

Love the look on his face in the last panel of page 3.
Nice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:34:31 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:33:12 AM »

Wow! That's pretty cool. I am really looking forward to this series.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »

What did everyone think?  I'm on the fence but I'll give Johns tie to develop it.  The art is great so it's fun to look at.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »

Other than Johns going somewhat overboard on the "Look, Aquaman can be cool" moments, I enjoyed it. I mean I liked what he did:
Showed Aquaman has strength
Showed him as somewhat bullet proof
Showed his Hulk-like leaping ability
Showed how he doesn't "talk" to fish
Showed how he is going to concentrate on more land based issues

But it just seemed the entire issue was almost a pity party trying to show it wasn't a pity party. I really have no idea how it could have been differently, in one issue, but it seemed overwhelming. Still a good book, and certainly, for me, a fun one.

And even though I said it in the first post ... the look Arthur gave after the bullet bounced off his check was fantastic.

7 out of 10 college tuitions  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »

This is, by far, my favorite DCnU title! Arthur and Mera are great and the Trench "villians" are awesome! It is great to NOT see Aqualad or Black Manta. Is Siren part of this universe? She was one of the few good things to come out of Brightest Day.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »

Well two things I am not liking. They are small and certainly not ruining the title, but ...
1) I find I like Mera a lot more than Arthur right now. Should that happen?
2) Enough with the projectile vomiting Mr. Johns.  Cheesy

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »

Well two things I am not liking. They are small and certainly not ruining the title, but ...
1) I find I like Mera a lot more than Arthur right now. Should that happen?
2) Enough with the projectile vomiting Mr. Johns.  Cheesy

1. ehhh, give it time. Mera is like parsley on a plate.
2.  VALID point. EWWWWW!!!!
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »

Since those of you still getting this seem to like it a lot I thought I'd give it a second chance.  I picked up issue 9 and I have to agree that it was pretty good.  I'd like to check out this Black Manta story line.  I picked up issue 5 on eBay and ordered 6,7, & 8 though my LCS.  I pulled out issues 1 - 4 from my collection and I'm gonna give this a second read starting tonight.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »

Sorry to add to the shrinking of the wallet, good sir.
 Grin

... and ordered 6,7, & 8 though my LCS. 

Do you not ask DCBS first? I mean, if you are just doing it to support LCS, all cool, but I find DCBS can usually add a month or two back on issues pretty easily.

Of course I say that after they kinda screwed me on my American Vampire back-order (ordered 12-17 through them and now I can't get them Angry) but with just a month or two gone, I've never had a problem.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »

Nah - I always do my LCS for back issues.  It's the least I can do for them since they lost my pre-order business.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 12:24:10 AM »

Cool

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 03:58:04 AM »

I re-read 1-4 and they weren't as bad as I remembered.  Still not great but I can give it a pass as an intro story.

Starting issue 5 tonight.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:19:03 AM »

Issues 5 & 6:

MUCH BETTER.  Loved the 2 page spread in issue 5 of Aquaman in the desert.  Ivan Reis' art is always amazing.  Great single issue story too.  Same for issue 6.  I liked the focus on Mera and Johns is starting to bring it all together so that the first 4 issues make sense. 

I'm looking forward to issues 7 & 8 and of course I'll re-read 9 when I'm done.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »

Issue #12

Another issue of ... nothing.

Sadly, over the past couple of issues, I have starting to feel like Jeff felt in the beginning of this series. Bored or at the very least "on the fence". It just seems this title is taking 5 issues to tell 2 issues worth of story. Not only that, with the recent -
"Arthur lied to me"
"No, he lied to me"
underlying theme, it feels like the last season of LOST and that I can not abide.

I have two more issues awaiting shipment, but giving serious thought to dropping this title next month. What may make this growing thought easier is the fact that AQUAMAN #15 is a cross-over with JUSTICE LEAGUE. A book I have no desire buy again. I was hoping that the new artist (Ardian Syaf), also starting with issue 15, would force my hand and make me want to jump ship, but his art looks pretty good and very close to Ivan Ries, so I can't use "this art sucks" as an excuse.
 Wink

It certainly doesn't help this title's cause that I am trying, month in month out, to cut my titles down to about 10 a month (trying ... not much luck so far ... or in the near future it seems  Angry) so looking for excuses has become commonplace in my mind. Maybe I am being too harsh and just wanting that excuse, but I get about halfway through each recent AQUAMAN issue and it doesn't feel like I need one.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »

Lol.  That's how I was starting to feel about Daredevil!   Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS