HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:19:02 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: green lantern  (Read 8962 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« on: June 19, 2011, 02:34:19 AM »

i am surprised that no one else has started a thread about this yet.  i went to see it today and went in expecting a cheese filled dud but instead found myself enjoying a pretty awesome flick.  the 3D was done well (better than Thor, IMO.) and even though i grimaced at the casting choice of ryan reynolds, he actually did a pretty good job (still would have liked to have seen nathan fillion...but....).  i hope more people go out and see this and make it profitable enough for the sequel cause i thought they set it up kinda nice. 

GO SEE IT!

Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:10:06 AM »

Saw it, in 3D only because that was the only format they were running at my local theater.  I found that the 3D did not enhance the movie at all for me, and was therefore a waste of an extra $5, as it has been for every movie I've seen in 3D with the exception of Avatar.  
The part at the end, after the credits start, was a little abrupt as far as progression of the character involved, but I can live with it in the interests of keeping the movie under 2 hours long.  It was quick sequel setup, which served the purpose but didn't exactly reek of logic.  
The special effects were great.  The character development outside of Hal, was not.  I had my concerns about how good the storyline would be going in, and they were confirmed.  Ryan Reynolds did a better job than I expected.  Blake Lively is HOT.  And that's all I have to say about that.
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »

what happened after the credits?  i got there early and when i went in, the credits from the previous showing were rolling, but i didn't see anything so when the credits started rolling during the showing i went to, i left.  did i miss something inn between where i left and when i saw the credits at the end of the previous?

Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »

About a minute after the credits start,
SPOILERS
Sinestro retrieves the yellow ring and puts it on, turning him into the original Yellow Lantern that we all know and love. Of course if you know Green Lantern lore in the comics, you know that this is not how he becomes the Yellow Lantern at all, and this action is completely inconsistent with the character that they portrayed him as in the movie. I don't have such a huge problem with it though because to go through all of Sinestro's actions on Qward would have been a little much for the movie, I think. Still, the way they did it doesn't make much sense.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:24:12 PM by Ed209 » Logged
Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:30:05 AM »

Saw it.  Found it was a flawed vehicle that will hopefully set up a much better sequal.  It serves its purpose to get the origin out of the way for the normal folk and not much else.  The effects were decent overall, the script was patchy, and most of the "cast" was only there to fill in roles from the comic.  Even Sinestro was reducted to a very token role outside of sequal set-up with no real personality or motivation.

Nowhere to go but up I guess.
JON SNOW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »

Saw it, loathed it... Good effects, a bad script, and bad acting.
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »

Welcome to HR Jon Snow!  (Game of Thrones fan?  Excellent tv show by the way!)

I was thinking of watching Green Lantern, but I'm getting the feeling that it isn't a must see movie for the comic geek in me.  Maybe I'll watch Super 8 this weekend instead.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »

Yes, welcome Sir Snow.
(Also huge fan of GOT)

I also found the GL movie to be less than spectacular. In fact, it was like watching a 1990's hero movie with better effects. I am a fan of Ryan Reynolds, Sarsgaard, Strong and hey, Blake Lively is not a bad thing to be forced to look at, but this movie just felt cheap.

I guess it was both the writing and certainly the directing that just never pushed me over to really enjoy this movie. It was ... okay.

The constructs that Hal used were stupid. Okay, maybe not stupid, but rather weak minded.
 SPOILER .....
 I got how they tied them in (Race track in kids room = race track construct, etc ...) but they still could've been betters.

I honestly think that both the Paralax effects and Sarsgaard's screams (which were amazing and perfect) really helped me at least come thinking the movie was okay.

I will stick to the John's penned flip book.
 Sad

5 out of 10 Tomar-Re's
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:09:53 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »

So many missed opportunities.

End of the world and no scenes of hal's family or him thinking of them.

Kiliwog boasts that he trained Hal. Did I miss the much needed training reel with various scenes of Hal's development and Kiliwog whipping him into shape literally?

Why did Sinestro take the action he did near the end? That scene would have worked better he did it to defy the Guardians to take down the enemy himself maybe.

And why were the Guardians afraid to do the simple thing Hal did, or did we miss the plot point showing he was the only one who could do it?

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:47:01 AM »

So much felt like it was on the cutting room floor.

I'm willing to give Paralax's defeat a pass based on old movie cliches, but it does ring "duh, why didn't we think of that?"
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

I also found the GL movie to be less than spectacular. In fact, it was like watching a 1990's hero movie with better effects.

That's a pretty good way of putting it.

After all the bad/mediocre press, I found that I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  However, it just felt unfinished.  There were at least 3 or 4 transitions in the film that seemed like they were missing entire scenes.  It was like watching a rough copy of an unfinished film.   Undecided

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS