HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:23:27 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DC Address Line "Revamp" in Letter to Comic Book Retailers  (Read 13332 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: May 31, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »

DC Comic addressed their just announced changes to their publishing line in a letter from Senior VP, Sales Bob Wayne, sent to Direct Market retailers. The full letter follows below...

A LETTER ON THE DC UNIVERSE AND SEPTEMBER 2011

To our comics retail partners,

In the time I've worked at DC Comics, I've witnessed any number of industry defining moments. But today, I bring you what is perhaps the biggest news to date.

Many of you have heard rumors that DC Comics has been working on a big publishing initiative for later this year. This is indeed an historic time for us as, come this September, we are relaunching the entire DC Universe line of comic books with all new first issues. 52 of them to be exact.

In addition, the new #1s will introduce readers to a more modern, diverse DC Universe, with some character variations in appearance, origin and age. All stories will be grounded in each character's legend - but will relate to real world situations, interactions, tragedy and triumph.

This epic event will kick off on Wednesday, August 31st with the debut of a brand new JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, which pairs Geoff Johns and Jim Lee, together for the first time. (Yes, this is the same week as FLASHPOINT #5.)

We think our current fans will be excited by this evolution, and that it will make jumping into the story extremely accessible to first-time readers - giving them a chance to discover DC's characters and stories.

We are positioning ourselves to tell the most innovative stories with our characters to allow fans to see them from a new angle. We have taken great care in maintaining continuity where most important, but fans will see a new approach to our storytelling.
Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes. Our characters are always being updated; however, this is the first time all of our characters will be presented in a new way all at once.

Dan DiDio, Bob Harras and Eddie Berganza have been working diligently to pull together some of the best creative teams in the industry. Over 50 new costumes will debut in September, many updated and designed by artist Jim Lee, ensuring that the updated images appeal to the current generation of readers.

The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 will also launch digital day-and-date for all ongoing superhero comic book titles - an industry first.

On Wednesday, June 1st, this initiative is expected to be announced in a nationwide feature article, and we're hopeful the news will be picked up by media outlets around the world. Throughout the month we'll reveal more details of our plans with articles in both the mainstream and comics press and on June 13th the Diamond catalog solicitations for all of the September titles will be released, followed by the June 29th street date of the print version of Previews.

DC Comics will support this initiative with an innovative mix of publicity, promotional efforts and retailer incentives designed to maximize your opportunity to increase your DC sales. We will discuss additional details of these incentives when we get closer to solicitation later in June.

We'll be updating you more through email as September nears. But today, I hope your share our enthusiasm for this historic news!

Sincerely,

Bob Wayne
SVP, Sales
DC Entertainment

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »

looks like DC made a deal with Mephisto.

despite Bobs claim that this is a first, how many times has DC rebooted...I'm a Marvel so i'm not entirely sure but I can count at least 3 since 86.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »

looks like DC made a deal with Mephisto.

despite Bobs claim that this is a first, how many times has DC rebooted...I'm a Marvel so i'm not entirely sure but I can count at least 3 since 86.

That's what I was thinking Winger.  But I have admit that a Geoff Johns / Jim Lee Justice League has me excited!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:59:04 AM »

Should be interesting.

After the 1985 Crisis, everything was suppused to start from scratch-- but the powers to be would not take such a risk except with Wonder Woman and Hawkman. Not sure DC had the writing chops to pull it off well back then.

Hmmm...

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »

But do we really need 52 #1s? Couldn't DC just put a logo on each cover similar to 1YL ?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »

I think its a an interesting idea - 52 new #1's.  Definately feels BIG.

Of course, they'll just eventually go back to original numbering like Marvel did.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »

I'm an equal opportunity Marvel/DC guy, so I hope something good comes from this revamp. In the past few months, I've become so disgustingly bored with the DCU that I dropped almost every DC proper book and only read a few Vertigo titles. A Geoff Johns/Jim Lee Justice League is on the right track to getting me excited about the characters again. I just hope the creators don't bail and the quality drops off like it usually does.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »

Wow. This art is painfully mediocre from what we have come to expect from Jim Lee. He is capable of better. I will cross my fingers...

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »

DC REVEALS TEN COVERS/CREATIVE TEAMS FOR REBOOT
http://comicrelated.com/news/12184/dc-titles-revealed

If DC keeps the price at $2.99 I can see myself getting a few of these:

Firestorm
Justice League International (though I don't know why they don't go with the original creative team)
Green Arrow
Mister Terrific

If they rebooted Shazam, I'd be getting that too.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »

I am on for a few.

A lot more than I want to be.  Grin

I have a feeling that this is nothing but DC's "HERO'S REBORN" showcased as an entire property published at once. In about a year or so from now, we will find that "this" DC universe is a product of FLASHPOINT and is actually Earth-53

This does provide the reason for the "not a reboot" declaration. Not rebooting, just showing you another universe.
 Wink

The main, 'true' DC titles/origins/and history will return in a few and be Earth-1 and this Earth 2 line, or the 5 titles that remain, will be DC's "ULTIMATE" Earth 2 imprint.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 12:07:16 AM »

Justice League International (though I don't know why they don't go with the original creative team)

Did you read Generation Lost?  Winnick did a really great job with the characters and this new #1 is supposed to be a continuation, I thought.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »

Just noticed that the new HAWKMAN will be set in NEW YORK CITY !!!!

Okay, this thing may be a lot bigger than I thought. If they are taking all the heroes and putting them in the 'real world', this is a fantastic idea.

Man, DC is going to kill my wallet in Sept. Out of the 11 new comics that I have seen ... I am getting 8.

SWEET JEBUS, I am not liking that ratio.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »

Another good thing is that Dick is back as Nightwing in his own solo series!!!
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »

Another good thing is that Dick is back as Nightwing in his own solo series!!!

And Barbara Gordon is back as BATGIRL ... and being written by Gail Simone.

(Yep ... just keeps costing me more money every freakin day)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS