HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:39:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: X-Men: First Class  (Read 14350 times)
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« on: January 19, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »

Looks pretty cool....hope the movie delivers!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:03:39 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:19:07 AM »

I like the actual "costume" costumes!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:10:40 AM »

Have you seen where Kevin Bacon is going to play Sebastien Shaw???

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »

I saw this last night and I have to say it was pretty good.  A-

Kevin Bacon was not bad as Sebastian Shaw and I loved January Jones as Emma Frost.

But this movie is all about Xavier and Magneto and Mystique and they did a great job with the characters.
It takes place in the 60's during the Cuban Missile crisis.  There are some great 60's clothing - especially Emma Frost in go-go boots.  And one scene where the Hellfire Club, all dressed in white, go into an all white interior submarine.  Very old school James Bondy looking.  I laughed.

Oh and a very very small and unexpected cameo while Xavier and Mag's are recruiting mutants that will make you laugh.  At least it did me.  :-)

Not an epic film but a worthy addition to the comic book movie genre. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »

Oh and a very very small and unexpected cameo while Xavier and Mag's are recruiting mutants that will make you laugh.  At least it did me.  :-)

Yeah, that was funny.
 Wink

I give it a solid B.
Started out stronger than it finished, but still a very worthwhile and enjoyable viewing that I shall REDBOX once it hits DVD's

The good - script, time frame (era), McAvoy and Fassbender. All of these were top notch (as was what Jeff is referencing)
 Grin

The bad (Not really bad, but just lessened the "blew me away" factor by just a tad) - January Jones is just over-rated as an actress. Don't get me wrong, she does fine in her roles and I like her in everything I have seen her do (Madmen, Pirate Radio, etc...) and she is great to look at, but she just seems too stoic, even in emotional scenes for me. (I think the best thing I seen her do was play a hooker who laughed and made out with a girl ... but I forgot which movie now ... Anger Management I think.)
and
Havok. The look of the costume ... just bugged me.

Again, as I am me and have to throw the negative in somewhere  Cheesy, those are just two minor gripes to a really good, fun movie.

Oh, what the hell .. 8 out of 10 "F.O's"
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »

Oh, what the hell .. 8 out of 10 "F.O's"
 Wink

ROFLOL - and he even used the line I was referencing.   Cheesy

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:56:04 AM »

Thumbs way up for me, and I'd go as far as saying that this was the best of the X-men films to date!

Xavier and Magneto were well acted, and I loved the couple of nods to the other X-men movies. January Jones didn't bother me one bit, but what did bother me was the inclusion of that mutant with the cyclone powers. That guy was just unnecessary. There are tons of higher profile mutants they could have used. Havoc was alright with me except when he started shaking like he had a hula hoop to fling his energy blasts.

I had a great time watching it, and even with the liberties they were taking with this origin prequel, this comic geek didn't mind it one bit. I loved seeing Xavier pound a yard of beer in the local pub too!

I have to wonder though as I didn't stick around, but was there anything extra after the credit roll was over?

I'd rate this a bloody 9 Nazi coins out of 10.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

I have to wonder though as I didn't stick around, but was there anything extra after the credit roll was over?

Sadly, most of the fans in my theater waited around only to be disappointed.  No after credit scene in this Marvel movie!  :-(

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »

Not solely a Marvel movie so I guess that is why.
 Undecided

Speaking of which, can you picture it when Marvel gets the rights back to X-Men, Spider-Man and FF?

Oh it will be a grand day.

What others do they not currently have the movie rights to ?

EDIT -
Ghost Rider
Daredevil
Blade
Punisher
Man-Thing (oh dear god)
Huh
Any others?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:47:55 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:22:31 AM »

This was definitely the best comic based movie that I have seen so far this year, with only Captain America left to see.  I would also agree with G that it is the best X-men movie yet.  Loved the cameo  Cheesy  I hope they continue with another movie in this same retro vein, as somewhat of a reboot.  I wouldn't even care if they kept Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, as I think he fits the character very well.  

Well done!  I give it 9 out 10 shattered vertebrae.  
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »

I enjoyed this movie as well.  I was nervous about the 60's setting and the very strange selection of mutants used.  Luckily that all melted away with the opening scene as well as the rest of the film.  My comic brain is still trying to reconcile all of the oddities when compared to the other films in the franchise where the timeline/ages of the characters just dont seem to fit but it didn't stop me from enjoying the film.

Keven Bacon was great as Shaw as was the rest of the cast.  Darwin was written very well but out of the script too soon.  hopefully his evelutionary powers will corrct that Smiley

overall a very good moving and an excellent comicbook movie.
JON SNOW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 06:54:21 AM »

I was expecting more from this film than I was from G.L. and was disappointed overall. Magneto's scenes and his storyline was by far the best part of the movie. I liked McAvoy's Xavier and the interaction between the two characters but aside from that, it was a letdown for me. The story was just too all over the place. It's better than X3 (hard not to be) but not better than the original and nowhere near as good as X2.
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »

thanks for your input and welcome to the Realm
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »

Weclome JON!

I respect your opinion. I thought the story was pretty solid as far as mutants finding each other, the different goals of Xavier, Eric and Shaw, the threat Shaw's scheme posed, the need to train the young mutants and forge them into a force, and the underlying story of Eric confronting his greatest antagonist and becoming Magneto.

And I came to like the use of Mystique to represent the true challenge of mutation through her appearance, the lack of Xavier seeing her as she truly was or returning the kind of love she had for him, the acceptance of self, and the challenge she poses to Xavier's rose colored dream in a subtle but strong way as opposed to Eric's more direct challenge.

Could you elaborate on "all over the place"? Not asking you to convince me, but I want to better understand your perspective.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »

Just saw it finally on Blu-Ray.  Liked it more than I thought I would.  Really enjoyed Magneto's character in this one.  

Really only had two small gripes.  Havok's character seemed out-of-sync with the rest of the cast.  His appearance and dialogue were more like that of a contemporary teen rather than one from that time period (Did people say "bad-ass" in the 60's?).  I was also irritated that the name "Moira MacTaggart" was randomly assigned to the film's Female Protagonist/Hero's Love Interest.  If they absolutely had to use a name from X's past, I thought referencing someone like Gabrielle Haller would have been better.

Really great film though.  Especially loved the cameo.  Wink

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS