HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:30:10 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Top 20 characters  (Read 11824 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:23 PM »

Okay folks, let's get a top 20 greatest comics characters list.

(Trying to keep this to ongoing, monthly characters, so while "yes", Snoopy is a very vital aspect to comics, he doesn't really fit what I am going after)
 Smiley

I am not trying to go down a Manga route. Yes I know there are going to be some vital characters there, even better than what we finish with, but let's try and keep this to Western comics ... for now
 Grin

Now I am also not talking about your "favorite" characters and I don't care if you "like" them, nor am I talking about the most popular or well known, I want the greatest characters created. For example, Superman has to be one by sheer importance, even though I loathe him  Angry, but I would NOT put Wonder Woman in, although she is one of the most recognized.

And Lobo, the first black comic character, could easily fit in, but his impact, I feel, did not reach the level that Black Panther did, so I put T'Challa ahead of him, even though he came after.

Also, while I think having an openly gay character is a very important step for ... all human beings, really ... I can't think of one that deserves to be in the top 20. Yes, I know that seems prejudice as I am going to put Black Panther in for a very similar reason ...  Undecided ... and perhaps you can change my mind, but I just can't think of one, off the top of my head, that would fit into my list. But this is a Realm list so please, feel free to out vote me.
 Smiley

And would Wolverine or Deadpool, two very over used characters, make the top 20?

Some off the top of my head (that you will need to wipe out if you give me a better option ... hey, this is spur of the moment after all)
 Wink

In no order (I will put them in order as more debate ensues) ... and we need more than just the big two, but again, I am doing this as I go and very much spur of the moment ...

Superman (Uhg)
Spider-Man (Best high hopes through adversity)
Batman (My number 1)
Captain America (The classic 90 pound weakling to superior human)
Black Panther (first* black hero)
Thing (No better depth of character out there)
Wolverine (I know, I know)

(Taking a break for dinner. Thinking about adding Wonder Woman, as I am at a loss for a great female Angry ...even though I am in love with Sue Storm  Wink. I just think with her greek background she is more of a "already too often used" blueprint character ... even though I personally like her  Undecided)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:12:52 AM »

I think Black Panther has to be taken off.

As much as he was an important figure, or at least an important aspect, I just can't put him in the top 20

Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »

Does both Dr. Doom and Galactus qualify?

Doom ... perhaps. The planet eater ??

EDIT -
Green Lantern?
Conan?
Ninja Turtles?
Cerebus?
Joker?
Hell, for that matter ... Robin?
Sgt. Rock?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:16:55 PM by Perry » Logged

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »

I would add the following to the list:

Catwoman
Magneto
Spawn
Archie (unlike Snoopy, he appears in multiple monthly titles)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »

Spawn? I could see that. Talk about an impact character.

Magneto, sure.   Smiley Great character depth (the main thing I am looking for)

Archie? Perhaps. After all he, along with Richie Rich, was a huge part of my early youth.

Catwoman ? ... You're gonna have to sell me on.  Wink Not saying she won't make the top 20 ... but ...

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »

Trying to find a DC villain to add to the list of entries, but it is hard as (I know this will probably piss Jimmy and Rodney off ... again  Wink)  the early DC bad-guys were so one dimensional.... to me.

To me...  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:26:14 PM »

You gotta have the Joker.  The original twisted character.  He basically ended Barbara Gordans career as Batgirl.

I would say Wonder Woman is on the list.  She brought girls into the comic book world. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »

What about Lex Luthor?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »

I don't know what really qualifies a character to be on a top 20 greatest list, but if you're going by how mainstream they are--I'd say Rogue brings more girls into actually reading comics than Wonder Woman.  WW may be more culturally recognizable as 'women/comics' but Rogue is more fun to read.  Not the greatest character (at least I dislike her more than I like her), but she gets teenage girls reading. I don't read her or X-Men much anymore, but when I did, she was easier to identify with than WW.

She's not well-known, I guess, but Jakita Wagner is way cooler than WW!  I think she should be on this list.  Great characterization, has a good story, not just a one-note chick who kicks ass, but also not only that.

Ooh, Jenny Sparks!

How about Irma Geddon?  Love her; and she does get to grow as a character.

Constantine?  Kind of one-note, though, much as I love him.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »

What about Lex Luthor?

Again, one note character. He, much like me, hates Superman. And while that is fine a standard villain and for a comic forum poster, who is an ass  Grin, I don't think it puts him in the greatest characters ever list. At least not a top 20.

But hey, until other options arrive ... why not?
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »

I don't know what really qualifies a character to be on a top 20 greatest list ...

Well I guess it is, much like all lists, subject to personal taste,  Smiley, but I am going for the 20 "deepest or richest" characters in personality and/or powers, or someone that has so much influence that they have to be considered a top 20 character (IE Superman)

I had originally put Black Panther in, just because of his being the first majorly accepted black character, but then the more I thought about it, what else about him is special? I couldn't come up with any other reason for him to be a top 20 character, so I pulled him.
 Undecided

I'd say Rogue brings more girls into actually reading comics than Wonder Woman.  

I would say that may be true, now  Wink But I can guarantee WW has brought more girls into comics than Rouge ever will. I am still debating WW, because like I said, she is essentially a Greek myth brought to comics, kinda, and so she has no more right to be in the top 20 than say Hercules, and he certainly doesn't deserve a spot in the top 20.

With Rouge, I think her powers certainly put her in contention as the way she deals/dealt with them and the villain/hero aspect.

I think, for now, she could slide in.  Smiley
(I would be surprised if she lasted though  Undecided)

She's not well-known, I guess, but Jakita Wagner is way cooler than WW!  

Absolutely cooler. Cool Love her, but not a top 20.

However, you bringing up an Ellis character does make me question rather Spider Jerusalem should be in there?

Ooh, Jenny Sparks!

Wink

I tried every which way to figure out a way she belongs. An A+ character that I love to read about but, sadly, not much separates her from any of the other countless "bad-asses" in the comic Universe. A little, sure, but not much.
 Undecided

BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »

Jenny Sparks is bad-ass, yeah, but for me, that's not the only reason she should be on the list.  Most superheroes do the whole 'I have a greater mission, but it is failing' angst thing, but Sparks did it best.   

My friend suggested The Saint of All Killers.  I've not read Preacher for a really long time; but he was pretty fucking amazing.

I'd put Spider Jerusalem on a list of top 20's, yeah, but not sure if it'd be the top 20 greatest.  How about The Hand from Nightly News?

I think there's 2 lists sort of going on--one is top 20 culturally important or iconic characters (Wonder Woman for being a female comic icon, Black Panther as first accepted black character, etc--like I'd put Midnighter & Apollo on there, ) and the other is more specific to fans--top 20 greatest EVER.  The first one is easy to do; the 2nd is way harder.  Does that makes sense?
BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »

And as a side note--my dislike of Wonder Woman is pretty obvious, eh? Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »

Trying to find a DC villain to add to the list of entries, but it is hard as (I know this will probably piss Jimmy and Rodney off ... again  Wink)  the early DC bad-guys were so one dimensional.... to me.

To me...  Grin

LOL... what are your thoughts on Deathstroke?
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 11:56:20 PM »

Does both Dr. Doom and Galactus qualify?

Doom ... perhaps. The planet eater ??

EDIT -
Green Lantern?
Conan?
Ninja Turtles?
Cerebus?
Joker?
Hell, for that matter ... Robin?
Sgt. Rock?

Well, Robin is seen as THE sidekick to end all sidekicks.

Maybe the Ninja Turtles due to them being a black and white indy comic and turning into a MASSIVE empire.  I'm just saying I had their music cassette from Pizza Hut, for crying out loud - they were everywhere!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS