HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:27:56 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tok’s Top 5: Women Whose Appeal I “Don’t Get”  (Read 6993 times)
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« on: December 29, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »

It’s been said many times over that men who put down the attractiveness of a successful and powerful female does so to feel better about himself, adding some false inflated sense of self-worth.

This post will be no exception.

5.) Madonna - With the exception of the “Like A Prayer” video - both musically and physically - she tries too hard to “push the envelope” and fails IMHO.  Yeah two girls making out at the bar grabs my attention, but only briefly because I have to ask “okay, now what?”  She says she’s fighting against the idea that women can’t be both sexual while also being smart and powerful.  Wake me up if she ever becomes any of those things other than powerful.  Then explain how she actually made it to powerful - a chart may be needed.

4.) The Olson Twins - Seriously?  Look I made my fair share of “waiting till they turn 18” jokes because I am - if you couldn’t tell already by this thread - and inappropriate arsehole.  I remember them as babies like it was yesterday, which adds a level of grossness.  Then they grew-up to be 14-years-old and stayed there to this day.  No thank you.

3.) Pamela Anderson - Back in the day I understood it a little bit, but now she’s like a bad impression of female sexuality.  It’s like a sci-fi flick where the alien or A.I. calculated what would make the “perfect” object of straight male interest.  The end result is a ransom note made from various pin-ups that technically passes for human, but too bizarre over the top to be sexy.

2.) Britney Spears - Never understood the appeal and not just musically.  I don’t know, she just never did anything for me.  But while I’m talking about her I must ask: how is it you can be a pop singer with no musical hook?  Seriously, every pop song, no matter how bad, I can at least comprehend why it’s a hit pop song because I can, at the very least, hear a hook.  I can think of two Britney songs that have a hook, but then there’s “Toxic” and the rest which don’t even have the bare minimum it takes to be a pop song!  That’s messed up.

1.) Cher - Don’t even reference the “If I Could Turn Back Time” video.  Like it’s difficult to amp-up a bunch of sailors at sea?  And don’t tell me it’s an age thing.  Yes, it is a shame society won’t let woman age gracefully.  But I’ve seen the old Sonny and Cher show a few times and I didn’t find her attractive then either.  Hell, I still don’t get why that was a show.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:05:17 PM by Tokyo Vigilante #1 » Logged
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:25:22 PM »

Nice list Tok, and I agree with your choices wholeheartedly.

In my circles, I can't say that the Olsen Twins ever came up in a conversation about alluring or attractive women though. Pam Anderson was more attractive when she was on home improvement in my opinion, and the plastic enhancements didn't do her any favors. Britney is really nothing special and I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a crowd if she was right in front of me. Something about Cher has generations of people worshipping her, but that face she makes when she sings puts me off, and in all honesty, she has rather manish features. Madonna did have a certain appeal during her Like a Virgin era, but as she grew older, her attractiveness faded.

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »

Thanks, G.

Two names I forgot about, who I'd probably try to put in the list would be Kat Von D and Olivia Munn.

Kat Von D - I don't mind tattoos, but aren’t we - I'm going old man here - as a society - can you hear my bones creek yet? - overdoing it a bit?  She's like a bad Etch A Sketch you want to shake like a British nanny. (“British nanny”?  Talk about dated references!  Told you I’d go old man.) 

Olivia Munn - She's a solid TV host and showed real screen presence in short time on Iron Man 2.  Yet, when I see her on a magazine cover, I don't get it.  She's pretty, but her fan base is so overly infatuated with her IMHO.  It’s puzzling to me.  Like any pretty face can stand next to some tech and that face becomes a living symbol for some nerd army?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:50:27 AM »

Thanks, G.

Olivia Munn - She's a solid TV host and showed real screen presence in short time on Iron Man 2.  Yet, when I see her on a magazine cover, I don't get it.  She's pretty, but her fan base is so overly infatuated with her IMHO.  It’s puzzling to me.  Like any pretty face can stand next to some tech and that face becomes a living symbol for some nerd army?

I can't wait to hear G's retort on this one!   Smiley

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:54:23 AM »

Thanks, G.

I can't wait to hear G's retort on this one!   Smiley

Ha!

Tok's statement is certainly valid, and we are all entitled to our opinions!  Wink

But during Olivia Munn's absence on G4, it's fairly evident that not just any pretty face can fill her presence. Countless guest co-hosts try to report pop culture news with little impact. She has a great sense of humor and comedic timing, and is actually quite talented at reporting. She is basically a fanboy's dream. An attractive girl that takes interest in our geeky pursuits. Plus there is something about a female that can pull off the Wonder Woman costume, or dive into a pool of whip cream wearing a barmaid outfit!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »

Well she is not a cover model and you pretty much stated why everyone likes her. Her presence is incredible and she is more than a solid TV host.

Like Glenn said, AOTS is not the same and for me, it is almost unwatchable with her gone. And that is with me being a HUGE fan of Kevin Pereira (Very, very underrated host). It is just not the same without her. (Although I am hopeful for the new full-time girl starting soon)
 Undecided

Olivia Munn, now working on the DAILY SHOW (which I love seeing her on, even though it is a rarity) and on her new sitcom (PERFECT COUPLES, which will not last as it is, so far, not remotely close to anything that would be considered perfect) will be missed on AOTS forever.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Sith_Chimera
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:17:19 AM »

Olivia Munn - She's a solid TV host and showed real screen presence in short time on Iron Man 2. 

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. Screen presence? If you count the people that said, "Hey, that was Olivia Munn" then I doubt anybody who doesn't know who she is gave her a second thought or even a passing afterthought.

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »

Olivia Munn, now working on the DAILY SHOW (which I love seeing her on, even though it is a rarity) and on her new sitcom (PERFECT COUPLES, which will not last as it is, so far, not remotely close to anything that would be considered perfect) will be missed on AOTS forever.
 Undecided

I don't like her trying comedy.  Way too over the top and plays too broad.

For AOTS it's fine, you expect something goofy, but not any where else.

Perhaps Perfect Couples will prove me wrong.

Again, I think she's a fine host on AOTS going one segment to the other.  Though I don't care for her co-hosting Loveline.  That was rough.
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »

Olivia Munn - She's a solid TV host and showed real screen presence in short time on Iron Man 2. 

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. Screen presence? If you count the people that said, "Hey, that was Olivia Munn" then I doubt anybody who doesn't know who she is gave her a second thought or even a passing afterthought.

I honestly didn't recognize who she was till much later in the movie.  All I recall was her brief moment as a reporter and taking notice of her charisma and speaking voice, which I imagine is tough to do in such a brief scene and I gave her props for that.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »

I do love geekdom's support of Munn. However, I have read about her work and rise in the field of journalism that she pursued, and all the more power to her. If she's a pretty face I recognize that makes me think of the Slave-Leia outfit, all the more better! But that's all I ascribe to her.

However, I feel that Tok is showing his age with this list. Tongue

I notice Munn is about the only female truely relevant in the last 5 years.

What about the useless Hilton? In the same grouping, the Kardashian whores? Am I right? These women are only "famous" because they are rich (not by their own doing at all!) but mostly because of who they slept with and how people found out about it? How worthless are they?!

I really enjoy reading Imdb news bits, but whenever their names are mentioned, I only skip over them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »

However, I feel that Tok is showing his age with this list. Tongue

I notice Munn is about the only female truely relevant in the last 5 years.

What about the useless Hilton? In the same grouping, the Kardashian whores? Am I right? These women are only "famous" because they are rich (not by their own doing at all!) but mostly because of who they slept with and how people found out about it? How worthless are they?!

I was going for all-time with the list...well, "my time" I should say.  And Kat Von D, I believe, popped up within the past 5 years.

As far as, Hilton and Kardashian go, I didn't mention them for several reasons:

1.) I don't think about them.  Might be hard sometimes, but if you don't pay attention to the celeb media they kind of become just background noise.  Also avoiding cable news helps.

2.) Though their fame doesn't make sense - unless you want to get into tabliod ideals - it's not that I don't find them physically attractive.  If I had a choice between being stuck on an elevator with them or Olivia Munn I'd pick Munn based on "less annoying" reasons, but that's not what the list was about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS