HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:39:27 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spoiler Warnings  (Read 4075 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 23, 2010, 01:37:40 PM »

Etiquette question here.

When is it acceptable to talk about the details of a comic or character without having to add the obligatory spoiler warning?  If a comic has been out for six or seven months isn't it safe to assume that anyone who wanted to read it already has?  Or should you ALWAYS give a spoiler warning no matter how much time has passed?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »

Hmmm....is 6 months too soon? If it's the first issue of an arc, then that trade has not yet been published, and that could ruin some things.

It is easy enough to say "well, what Morrison did in his last issue really made me <peeved><excited!> or etc.

However, 30 Rock did something about Lost's ending this last season-and my friend is still waiting for the dvds to see it. So, there is a bit of ruination there. Irresponsible on tv!

As for comics....I'd have to say a 6 month minimum?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »

One thing I do ... or try to do ... when I am starting a post about a certain comic (IE: SECRET AVENGERS) is put the issue number at the start of my comment. Then I don't care if I spoil it for you or not. If you see -

SECRET AVENGERS #6
---------------------------

Wow, so hows about Reed Richards turning into the new Nova?

- and you get spoiled by that ... that's your own fault. I try and avoid you get a spoiler from me ... sometimes. But hell, if you are reading a thread about Secret Avengers in general, and you are not up to date on the happenings, I think it is still on you if you get spoiled. If you don't want to risk it, avoid the subject.

However, I try to never spoil anything newer than 2 years or so and I just really hate it when I get spoiled because some jack-hole didn't care enough to just think it through and spoils in a thread (topic) that is totally unrelated to what the thread was about. In other words, if I am reading a post on Secret Avengers and I read -

"Yeah, that was cool when Valkyrie slept with Doom. Didn't see that one coming. But then again I didn't see Nightwing sleeping with Wonder Woman in last months Action Comics coming either"

Angry

Bottom line, if you start a topic, I believe all is fair game in that thread, as long as it relates to the topic in that thread.

Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »

I like to give the courtesy spoiler warning most of the time. Or give the title a little context like Perry had mentioned by referencing the specific issue number....

But I say that a moratorium on discussing key events is mostly unnecessary and will limit participation from others who read regularly if we gotta sanitize our posts.  It's on the individual to stay out of temptation's way, and refrain from clicking on a topic if they aren't caught up to snuff.   

BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »

Title + issue number works for me. 

I read trades of a lot of stuff b/c I don't have the cash to spend each month; I avoid those threads that I know are spoilery because it's the nature of most comic books--they're published usually monthly.  It's my choice to not buy them that way and therefore my responsibility to avoid being spoiled.  If that means not participating in forums, so be it.

But...I also don't care about spoilers, and usually read the end of a book first, and actively seek out what happens next in anything.

So yeah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS