HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:07:49 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Last successful new character?  (Read 7339 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 20, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »

So I started thinking about how I am starting to, once again, tire of the big two's superhero flare (though I am still really enjoying most of what I get) due to sheer repetitiveness of character situations and it got me thinking ...

What was the last successful NEW character by these companies?

That Spidergirl person ... Aracna or whatever her name was ... flop
New team books like The Order fizzled fast as hell and Avengers Academy is getting the ax.
The Blue Beetle is horrible and he is not really a "New" character, just a new person playing the role
The new Power-Man looks ridiculous and is in pretty much the same situation as Beetle
Atom can also be placed here. (Or could have before that bullshit trap)
Dakken is just ... great another Wolverine (sigh)
Earth-Man is horrible.

Batwoman? Again, new person, but same character ... or same moniker at least.

??

Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
troyfreund
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »

Could Static kinda count?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:30:42 PM »

Could Static kinda count?

I suppose as a DC character in general he could, but I was thinking more comic related. I don't think he falls into that success "comic" wise. In other words, how long would his comic last if he were to star in it?

Good call though.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:58:35 AM »

Good question.  The last successful "new" characters I can think of were Raven & Starfire from the Titans but I had to go way back to the 80's for that.  Same with Firestorm.

Would Venom count?  I hate him but I can't deny he's successful.

What about Ghost from the Thunderbolts?  He has potential, though we probably need more time before we can deem him successful.

Cable could count - at least I'm in the 90's now.

Are you limiting your question to the big two?  Because Invincible from Image is a very successful character.  (Did I finally hit this century?)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:29:41 AM »

What about Deadpool?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »

What about Deadpool?

Yep.  That might be the winner.  The man has more books than the X-Men these days (at least it seems like it!)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »

Ugh!  I wish I had more time to speak on this topic!  Angry

For now I'll just answer: The Runaways.

And although we haven't see this character since Priest was on Black Panther and The Crew - as far as I know - I'll give a honorable mention to Kasper Cole aka the other White Tiger.  No not that White Tiger, the one before that...no, no you went back too far.  Yeah, wait, no not that one either and little closer to the present...yeah, that one.
Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:54:40 AM »

Define Success.  The Young Avengers and The Runaways have had critical acclaim but can't seem to hold a book.  Others like Hitman (DC), Spider-Girl (May), or X-Man had decent runs but based mostly on a cult following.

Beyond that, yeah, you kind of have to go back to the turn of the 80s X-Men for characters like Gambit, Cable, Bishop, Deadpool, but even some of those were flashes in the proverbial pan.  Ditto for DC's Harley Quin.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:57:06 AM by Light Warrior » Logged
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »

recent favs from the past 10yrs or so:
Amadus Choi
Layla Miller

both are interesting characters and had prominent rolls in a large event (HoM & WWH) and have had some good spotlight over the past few yrs.

Spider-girl (May) is/was a great character and while it might be a cult following, a 10yr run should certainly be considered a success

I also give a vote for Casper Cole...I thought he should be the new man w/o fear, hopefully he will make an appearance but I doubt it as most of Priest excellent work seems to be ignored.

Really liked Runaways too...great book early on but lost steam/heart when BKV left.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »

I would definitely agree that Amadeus Cho is one great big highlight of a "new" character that isn't already in someone else's archetype.

I'd love to say Invincible, but is that character any different from the Superman/boy model? Or is that thought being too picky? I'd say too picky, as he is quite a bit different from our current generation's product of DC's Superboy and Supergirl characters.

I know that this character fills the roles he's been given, but I dare you to tell me a greater character than Tim Drake. His transformation and growth makes him one of the best characters out there. To round this out, I go to the Super- counterpart, and say John Henry Irons.

And I'd like to punch Perry for ripping on Jaime Reyes-are you kidding me? His 24 issue title beginning is one of my favorite rereads from this year!!

Also, I'd put up Fantomex, because whenever he talks, I just want to listen.

Jimmy T since 2001
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »

What about Deadpool?

Yeah, I'll agree with that as well. 

(If anyone on here puts the Sentry, I quit.)   Cheesy

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »

And I'd like to punch Perry for ripping on Jaime Reyes-are you kidding me?

Cheesy
Swing away SuperPooper lover. It surprises me not that you liked that crap character.   Wink

Forced is what he was.
Totally not BLUE BEETLE. In form nor function.
 Angry

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »

Runaways was cool as heck when BKV was running things, and I still like Young Avengers when Heinberg and Cheung are attached.  Definitely felt those were successful runs at new characters....

I even liked that Gravity fella over at Marvel that Sean McKeever created a few years back....he might be one good story away from hitting the popularity train.  Monolith(Palmiotti and Gray) and Simon Dark (Steve Niles) were some decent characters at DC that were exciting and new too for me.

Don't laugh, but I always have a soft spot for Darkhawk too.  He was successful at drawing me in during the horrible 90s.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS