HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:14:07 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What would you like to see on HeroRealm?  (Read 16662 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »

Suggestions?

What would you like to see more of?  What kind of topics would get you posting?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »

Boobies.

Always boobies.

Always.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »

I'm with Perry.

Failing which, I'd love any effort we can do to attract some new blood around here! As much as I love everyones company in our tight knit group, it would be nice to stir things up!

BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »

So, I'm assuming Perry and G were trying to be witty and hipster-funny/cool.  But if you're actually serious about increasing participation, those jokes aren't funny or ironic.  It's pretty offensive.

In terms of what to do to get more participation--I really don't know.  Is HR advertised/promoted on other comic sites?  The other sites and blogs I read about comics are much more about the 'politics' abt comics--race/gender issues--but getting into the meta of comics isn't appealing to a lot of people and I don't know what this site wants to do in terms of that.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »

So, I'm assuming Perry and G were trying to be witty and hipster-funny/cool.  But if you're actually serious about increasing participation, those jokes aren't funny or ironic.  It's pretty offensive.

You have got to be F'n kidding me.

Angry

How is using a well known desire for men in a humorous, safe and non rated "X" (or even rated "R") manner offensive? I posted no pictures I certainly didn't ask for you to show yours. That is a ludicrous statement by you and I am offended by YOUR puritan and self-righteous attitude.

It was a joke that harmed no one. Or it should have harmed no one. Did you lose sleep over the word?

Yes, I was trying to be witty and yes I am a very hipster-funny/cool guy so perhaps using that word in a post asking how to increase "INTERNET PARTICIPATION" (and yes ... that is irony ... *ahem*) came to me very easily, but taking offense to such a word, especially in the way it was presented is beyond anal.

Ooops, I said anal. Hope I didn't offend you.
(Not really)

Angry

Tell ya what, you may want to avoid the entirety of the internet as a general practice, because you will be offended by more than that, with the attitude you have, on a regular basis.

Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »

Heck I thought Perry was talking about birds....and I am going for TRENDY/funny cool.  Tongue

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »

Gotta agree that boobies are offensive, but that is b/c I am a butt guy (not going to say "anal").
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »

Aaaaand with that - let's get back to the subject.   Smiley

It was a serious question about getting some new blood in here.  I'd like to get some of our old posters back involved and add new blood as well.

I'm trying to think of ways to increase participation without making HR my fulltime job.  Might be a pipe dream, but I really want to try.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »

Frequent updates to the main site is in order to increase traffic.  Any comic news, big or small, must be posted to drive up readership that will ultimately trickle into the messageboards.  Is there an easy way that the senior members here on the website can post text to the main board without disrupting the format too much? Maybe the layout of the main website needs to change. Kinda like a blog format, that can be updated easily, with new information?

Regular reviews of comics new and old need to be posted on a monthly, if not weekly basis.  I know that I myself search the interwebs for reviews on certain issues.  We have some pretty prolific fellows here, but I know time is an issue for all of us. 

Bribery sucks, but having free giveaways and contests might attract some people to the boards too.  Some may not stay....but I'm sure that there will be a good few that linger on.

Let's put our heads together and offer something that the other comic sites don't offer.....I like Rodney's idea of the trading post.  Let's continue along those lines and think out of the box.  Let's put the trading post on the main site.   I'm sure there are other things we could do that will make HR stand out.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »

Gotta agree that boobies are offensive, but that is b/c I am a butt guy (not going to say "anal").

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(Sorry, Jeff ... ahem ... yes, back on topic)

Cheesy

BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:16:45 AM »

Comic news should absolutely be posted on the main page; not just in the forums.  Posting big news on the front page is potentially what will bring people into the forums.

Do a blogroll, maybe?   Either one of the blogs of people who actively post here (obviously comics/comics culture related) or one of popular comics bloggers--or a combo. 

Maybe offer people columns or editorials, not on a regular schedule b/c not everybody has that time, but a one shot deal. 

Ask people what their local comic resources are; part of the site could possibly be 'What's going in your local comic book community or whatever?'--not just the big cons, but giving people a bigger idea of what's out there. 

Have there been discussions with other mods on what the overall scope of HR is supposed to be?  Interviews w/authors, artists or is it supposed to be a more casual forum-based site?  I think those are two different directions that can be combined well but that there does need to be a choice made.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 01:49:42 AM »

Once we have an updated Realm, post the URL everywhere (i.e. Facebook).
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 03:27:34 AM »

Keying off both Amity and Rodney--blogs, blogs, blogs.  Our new reviewers need to be blog format.  It's the new thing.  Also, a Facebook presence, and a twitter presence. 
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 03:30:02 AM »

Definitely comic news.

I am falling behind, and friends are mentioning news bits that I am far behind on. Maybe even updates on sci-fi shows like Dr. Who and Being Human. There are other sources, but I would like for this to be a good source for me too when I come to see what's going on in comics and message boards around here. Wouldn't mind something that catches my attention and makes me wanna hit a link to see more info.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Sith_Chimera
HR Super Hero

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »

Just, whatever you do, don't bring back Liefeld.  Angry

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS