HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:59:55 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wolverine The Best There Is by Charlie Huston  (Read 11615 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 01, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »

Anyone picking this up today?  I'll get it since my man Charlie Huston is writing it.

Wolverine Best There Is Issue #1

'Contagion, Part One: Impulsion & Whim,' PART 1 OF 6 When Wolverine faces a problem of the villainous kind there's a good chance that he'll use his Adamantium claws to whip up a lethal solution to it. What happens, though, when he faces an opponent who becomes a much bigger problem if he's killed? Enter: Contagion, a bold new addition to Wolverine's rogue's gallery. But first, Logan must contend with Contagion's defenders, the aptly named crew known as the Unkillables.

Cover by BRYAN HITCH Written by CHARLIE HUSTON Penciled by JUAN JOSE RYP

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »

Didn't get it as it is X related, but I shall be reading it, somehow. Not passing a Huston book up.
His first issue of the Bullseye 2 parter was pretty tight ... and there wasn't but a sprinkling of Bullseye in the damn thing.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »

Is this a new ongoing title or a mini?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »

I think its a mini.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

Love Charlie Huston ... LOVE his work. Everything he does. EVERYTHING.

except this.

This is crap bad. This is the perfect example of a writer not knowing his character. This was not a Wolverine comic. This was Huston borrowing Marvel's well known bad-ass because he had a story in mind starring a hairy bad-ass. A story that, so far, is not a very good one. Or is it? I don't know because I couldn't get past thinking of Wolverine and then being shown this guy that is suppose to be him but clearly isn't.

And then you have the art. I really dig Ryp's art ... when it is on characters that I am not familiar with. His style is pretty weird and sketchy, but I like it. that being said however ... he can't nail down Wolverine for shit. But then again, maybe he read the script and thought -
"This is not Wolverine! I shall draw someone that looks kinda like Wolverine but is not Wolverine, because Huston can't write Wolverine"

Score
3 outta 10 Wolverine hair salons  Roll Eyes 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 03:29:02 AM »

Oh no.  My issue arrives tomorrow and I've already preordered the rest.  Not good.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

Ummm ... maybe it will hit you better ... Huh

Smiley

I heard the ending ... or how they leave this issue ... is okay and it makes you want to see what is next, but I honestly couldn't get that far.

Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

Ummm ... maybe it will hit you better ... Huh

Smiley

I heard the ending ... or how they leave this issue ... is okay and it makes you want to see what is next, but I honestly couldn't get that far.

Undecided

Ugh what has my man Huston been doing?  This issue wasn't great.  Your right about Wolverines voice.  Just not there.  The ending didn't make me want more but as I've already preordered the whole series I see it through.  I'm hoping it was just a bad start and that the payoff will be better.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:31:46 PM »

Wolverine.
Cutting.
Hair.

Roll Eyes

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 01:34:10 AM »

Wolverine.
Cutting.
Hair.

Roll Eyes

And that wasn't even the worst part.  Hmmmm.  Maybe it was.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »

I guess it pays to stick with something.  Turns out the out of character stuff from issue 1 was intentional.  He was drugged.

This mini has turned into a book of torture with bat sh1t crazy self healing villains.

Just finished issue 4 and my boy Huston is doing what he does best.  Seriously effed up twisted people.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »

Glad it finished strong. Was really down on Huston after issue 1.
 Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »

It's not done yet. Two more issues to go ( I think ).  But yeah - it got better.  Actually kind of interesting since he's up against a sadistic team of people with healing factors.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:43:19 AM »

It's not done yet. Two more issues to go ( I think ).

DOH

In that case ... glad it got stronger ... and hope it finishes strongest Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS