HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:59:50 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Top 5 Comics  (Read 7228 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »

It's been awhile since we've ranked our favorites and I know they easily change from year to year.

What are YOUR top 5 comics right now?  You know - the ones you can't wait to read when comic book day hits.

Here are mine:

1. Walking Dead
2. X-Factor
3. Thanos Imperative
4. Secret Avengers
5. Invaders Now

I'll give an honorable mention to Fantastic Four, Titans, Green Arrow, Uncanny X-Force (jury still out since there's only been one issue), and Brightest Day but they aren't in my top 5 yet.  (I guess I could have said top 10 and included these but you gotta stop somewhere, right?)

Also - I've just switched from TPB to monthlies for Invincible and Scalped.  Once I get caught up they may take a spot in the top 5 but for right now I'm sticking with what I get most excited about each month.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:41:08 PM »

1. Walking Dead
2. Invincible
3. Fables
4. 28 Days Later
5. Captain America

Books like Dynamo 5, Unwritten, Brightest Day, Amazing Spider-Man, and Terry Moore's Echo get honorable mentions from me. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »

Books like... and Terry Moore's Echo get honorable mentions from me. 

Yeppers.

Mine ... right this minute (subject to change within minutes, as I am about 3 months behind on all my reading)

5 - 6th Gun
4 - Thor (With Gillien as writer)
3 - New Avengers
2 - Iron Man
1 - Secret Avengers

Again, probably will change as I read through and attempt to catch up

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:21:04 AM »

I'm down to very few comics these days, so my top 5 consists of essentially half of what I'm collecting these days.  But I'm enjoying most of what I read, so I got that going for me  Cool

In no particular order,
Green Lantern
Thor
Iron Man
Captain America
Walking Dead

Fantastic Four has really grabbed my attention here lately too.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:10 AM »

Secret Six
Fantastic Four
Red Robin
Justice Leagure Generation Lost
Hercules (whatever title that Greg Pak currently uses to tell his and Amadeus Cho's story in).

For my vote; the book that made the worst turn around for most favorite each month to biggest heap of crap is Incredible Hulk(s). Ever since Jade Jaw's return to battle Skaar back in 611, the title has become the most mopey, emo, blah hunk of garbage. I can't believe it's the same guy doing it still. Such a 180 of awesomissitude. Hell, I'd say the same for Iron Man, to be honest.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »

Justice Leagure Generation Lost

I've been wanting to get this but hesitant because Winnick writes it. Has he managed to get back to good writing?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:11:24 AM »

I quite enjoy it. And if you've allowed yourself to have been utterly brainwashed by Grindrod, then you need to step up and read this interesting work! Honestly, since Jason Todd came back in 06-07, anything Winick has written since then has been very good. And considering that hack Grindrod never read anything that Winick wrote that he continued to trash, I wouldn't believe him as a source. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:39:24 AM »

I quite enjoy it. And if you've allowed yourself to have been utterly brainwashed by Grindrod, then you need to step up and read this interesting work! Honestly, since Jason Todd came back in 06-07, anything Winick has written since then has been very good. And considering that hack Grindrod never read anything that Winick wrote that he continued to trash, I wouldn't believe him as a source. Wink

I liked his Exiles and Outsiders but he started losing me with Jason Todd resurrection.  Then his Titans were unreadable IMO.  I've been leery of him ever since. I love these characters and am willing to give him another shot but wanted to hear what others thought before dropping some $$$.   I think I'll give it a read.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »

Oh yeah, oops! Fogot about 'Titans.' But as far as I'm concerned, nobody can catch any lightning in the bottle to make the former group/title of Wally/Dick/Donna/Garth/Raven ANY good.

But, Winick was the first artist to work with Bagley on the first Dick as Batman arc, and I quite enjoyed that story a lot too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:21:08 AM »

1. Green Lantern Corps
2. Brightest Day
3. Titans
4. Time Masters
5. Birds of Prey
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »

3. Titans

We have to get you onto some better books, Rodney.
  Wink
As I am now caught up on all my comics (YEA !!!!), I figured I would update my top 5. (and this is just monthlies of course)

5) SIXTH GUN - No change here. Just a very enjoyable, well done western/horror'ish book
4) IRON MAN - Fraction can write this character.
3) GREEN LANTERN(s) - Totally cheating but I have to say all 3 GL books are kicking it right now
2) NEW AVENGERS - Just a better book than the other, non descriptive book. 
1) SECRET AVENGERS - Bru and Deodato. Perfection.

BRIGHTEST DAY - Would have made the list with the enjoyment I am getting off the just the Hawkman parts of the story. The rest ... eh ... not bad, but Hawman? Yeees. Just missed top 5

MORNING GLORIES - Need one more issue, but this probably breaks in soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:39:07 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS