HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:22:46 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Well, I went and done did it...again.  (Read 6088 times)
Rich
HR Celestial

« on: November 03, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »

So I've decided to cut back on my monthly comic book consumption.  Mainly it's because I'm finding myself less and less enamored with Marvel stuff, but also I want to read some stuff in trade format.  More of a savings that way, especially with the discount at DCBS.  I'm reading Uncanny X-Men, Buffy, X-Factor and The Walking Dead in monthlies now, and that's it.

On the trade front, I have

Scalped
DMZ
Finishing up Y the Last Man
Northlanders
Fables
Transmetropolitan
Wolverine

I guess it just needed to be done.  I wasn't looking forward to many of my monthlies anymore, so I kept the ones I get excited about (and Uncanny, which I think I'll collect until I die), and went trade for my mature readers stuff and things I can wait for.

Thoughts?  Did I do the right thing, or am I a sellout?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »

Of course you are a sell-out.
 Grin

But with that aside, I see nothing wrong with what you did. Hell I am down to 20 titles a month and about 5 trades myself.

Of course Buffy is finishing in the next 3 months so that will clear ya of that title. Y and Transmet are done, so when you get through those you will have -
3 monthlies
5 trades

Ya gotta get more than that.
 Grin

(Is DMZ also done?)

Say you're not excited by Marvel anymore, hows about ONI's - SIXTH GUN. Great book
Get the latest ACTION COMICS trade or back issues as well (I never liked SUPERCRAP, but Lex is killing it in that book)
And hell, I know you said 'eh' to Marvel, but HEROs FOR HIRE was just in preorders ... COME ON, MAN !!!!
Of course, I strongly suggest MARINEMAN from Image ... so I can decide if I want to buy it or not.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »

Ironically - I just went FROM trade on Scalped and Invicible TO monthlies simply because I wasn't getting enough monthlies myself due to hacking my list last year.

I know what you mean about Marvel.  I think its mainly b/c the Avenger centric books have seriously dropped in quality since the awesomeness that was Dark Reign.

But there are some new rising titles in the Marvel U.  Fantastic Four has really been good under Hickman's pen.  Very different and a little weird but a nice new take on the FF.  Plus they are about to become Three which is interesting.

Despite my statement up top - Secret Avengers has emerged as a fun book as well as Secret Warriors.

I'm also getting X-Factor (which I love) and Uncanny X-Men (for the same reason as you; just don't want to break the collection).

I've added Generation Hope to replace my favorite Cable book (with Hope).  First issue just came out so I can't say how it is yet.  Keeping my fingers crossed b/c I love Hope but honestly, my expectations aren't high.

Of course, your objective was to save money and all we're doing is telling you need to add stuff!   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

First issue just came out so I can't say how it is yet.  Keeping my fingers crossed b/c I love Hope but honestly, my expectations aren't high.

You are soon to be "wowed", good sir.  Wink
EDIT - and you know Secret Warriors is done in about 3 more issues, right?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »

EDIT - and you know Secret Warriors is done in about 3 more issues, right?

Yes - but I hadn't realized how sparse my Marvel list had gotten so I hated to not mention it.  :-)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »

I get most of mine in trades; saves me money and also space.  I also reread trades more than I do singles; it's easier to carry around on the bus.

DMZ is not finished; honestly, this is one where I hope it keeps going!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »

Looking at the latest monthly solicits from Marvel, I'm getting 6 Marvel books....and 1 of those books comes out twice in that month. Marvel does not capture my interest lately (and I've a friend who does get all the X books, so I can read my X-factor and Wolverine there).

That said, I also dropped Green Arrow yesterday, as well as Emerald Warriors, and Hulks is getting really close to being dropped. I've stopped Batman & Robin to follow Morrison to Batman, Inc, and I also just added Superboy.

And once Adventure Comics syncs up with the current Legion time line, I may also pick that back up.

I'm loving my monthlies, I'm enjoying going through different titles, and I like getting some other things too-

-ooh! Picking up the Dungeons & Dragons comic as well. The writer is...dammit-forgot it! But Andre DiVito is drawing it, so I'm jazzed.

Jimmy T since 2001
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »

On the trade front, I have

Scalped
DMZ
Finishing up Y the Last Man
Northlanders
Fables
Transmetropolitan
Wolverine

Can't speak for Northlanders or Wolverine, haven't read them, but you can't go wrong with the rest.

As far as monthies though you might want to try out The Sixth Gun, The Darkness, and a Firebreather mini should be coming out shortly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS