HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:05:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Little help picking comics! Please!  (Read 7409 times)
Latearrival
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »

Hi,
I'm recently got into comics and am lost as to how I should branch out. I'm into Emily the strange and Yhonen Vasquese ( Squee, Johnny, ect). I have everything to date from these and would like to get into more. But with so many options out there I'm totally lost! So any tips as to anything else I might like? Outside of comics I'm a 26 year old female,who is into scifi and some action movies....The way I moved into comics was by buying an Aliens Vrs Preditor book at a local book fair, I was trying to find more and got told I might like Emily and after talking Zimm for a while also got pointed towards the vasquese comics! A good day!
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »

Welcome Latearrival!

It sounds like you've been reading a lot of comics in the gothic genre, as Slave Labor Graphics publishes all of Yhonen Vasquez's work.  I'd be willing to bet that you would enjoy the Courtney Crurin series by Ted Naifeh.  Look it up and see if is to your liking.

If you're interested in stepping out and seeing what else is out there, Fables, Y:The Last Man, and Sandman are epic journeys available in trade format.  If you like a little horror in your reading, I would highly suggest the post-apocalyptic The Walking Dead or the thrilling Locke & Key. Invincible or Dynamo 5 are great superhero reads.  Then there's Chew and Proof which are quite refreshing reads too. Echo is a comic that features a great female cast, and Brian Wood's Local is another with a fun female lead. Mouse Guard and The Stuff of Legend are other books that I would also recommend.

BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:30:29 AM »

My friend Rich got me into comics a few years ago:

Started with Preacher, Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Invisibles, Y, Dark Knight.

I tend toward the post apocalyptic, cultural apocalypse stuff now: DMZ, Walking Dead, Global Frequency.  Anything by Brian Wood, Jonathan Hickman.

For creepy, morbid hilariousness, check out Fell and Wormwood.  Fucking great.  And for creepy, morbid disturbingness anti/superhero, check out Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan (vol 1 is out in trade, singles being done currently). Demo is sad and freaky.  There's often a trend in comics to do the realistic superheroes; Demo does that in a way that is much more believable than others.

That said, superhero coolness:  (old school) Authority, Stormwatch, Planetary.  Batgirl.  Rising Stars, Top Ten.

Most of these are in trades/graphic novels.

My info: 34, female, and I pick what I read by going into the comic book store, picking something up, flipping through and going from there. 
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »

Anything by Brian Wood, Jonathan Hickman.

Have you tried Hickman's Fantastic Four or Secret Warriors?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »

Just requested them from the library Smiley

I've skimmed other FF stuff by other people; never really drew me in.  I'll see if Hickman can do it. 
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »

Welcome, Latearrival.

I tend toward the post apocalyptic, cultural apocalypse stuff now: DMZ, Walking Dead, Global Frequency.  Anything by Brian Wood, Jonathan Hickman.

For more post apocalyptic stuff I'd try out Wasteland from Oni, if you haven't already.

http://www.onipress.com/thebigwet/
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »

Welcome, Latearrival.

For more post apocalyptic stuff I'd try out Wasteland from Oni, if you haven't already.

http://www.onipress.com/thebigwet/

Cosigned on Wasteland.....You guys might want to check out Freakangels too buy Warren Ellis for more post-apocalyptic goodness!  That, and also Zero Killer published by Dark Horse!

BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »

Wasteland's pretty cool.  I read the trades out of order, which was a really bad idea, though.
I'll have to check out Zero Killer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS