HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:04:33 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Superman Earth One HC - by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI  (Read 16159 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 30, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »

Anybody picking this up in October?

Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI Art by SHANE DAVIS & SANDRA HOPE Cover by SHANE DAVIS Forget everything you know about The Man of Steel and brace yourself for a staggering new take on the world's most popular super-hero. Best-selling, Hugo Award-winning writer J. Michael Straczynski (BRAVE AND THE BOLD, THOR, BABYLON 5) and red-hot rising star artist Shane Davis (GREEN LANTERN, SUPERMAN/BATMAN) team up for this exciting launch of the EARTH ONE graphic novel series. Set in an all-new continuity re-imagining DC's top heroes, EARTH ONE is a wave of original, standalone graphic novels produced by the top writers and artists in the industry. The groundbreaking new line rockets into effect right here with the super-hero who started it all -- Superman! What would happen if the origin of the Man of Tomorrow were introduced today for the very first time? Return to bucolic Smallville and experience the journey of Earth's favorite adopted son as he grows from boy to Superman as you've never seen before! On Sale Octuber 27 * 136 pg, FC, $19.99 US

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:23:21 PM »

Yep. As shocking as this may sou ... as shocking as this WILL sound, I added this to my pull the day after Previews was released.

Of course I love how Jeff, showcases a preorder item on the last day of preorder orders ...  Grin

(Not to say that those that didn't preorder can't buy it because you can, and should. It's JMS damn it. I am sure that is what Jeff's thinking was)
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »

Of course I love how Jeff, showcases a preorder item on the last day of preorder orders ...  Grin

Just curious, is the "last day" the date that is printed inside the Previews order form?  I've lost count how many times I've turned in my preorders to my LCS the same week the following month's newest Previews drop!  Never had a problem with any of my preorders, but it annoys my comic guy to no end!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:58:27 PM »

Just curious, is the "last day" the date that is printed inside the Previews order form? 

Not sure. That sounds right. I was only going by what DCBS does. They lock out the preorders the last day of the month ...  or a day or two before, depending on how it falls.

But yeah, I can see your LCS getting a little irked when has to add to his order ... if that is what is happening.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »

But yeah, I can see your LCS getting a little irked when has to add to his order ... if that is what is happening.
 Grin

Maybe before, but now not so much........after over a decade of relations, they've pretty much expect it from me, and they are shocked when it is early or on time!  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »

Grin

Maybe before, but now not so much........after over a decade of relations, they've pretty much expect it from me, and they are shocked when it is early or on time!  Grin

Yeah, I'm sure after seeing the totals you put up they whine a little less.
 Grin

HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »

Good point.  Sorry for the thread hijack.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »

Good point.  Sorry for the thread hijack.

At my LCS you are allowed to pre-order off of both this month AND last month's catalogs.  Thus I ordered it today while I was making my order for July (they let you do that a day early too).  All done over this internet thing.

Yep. As shocking as this may sou ... as shocking as this WILL sound, I added this to my pull the day after Previews was released.

(Not to say that those that didn't preorder can't buy it because you can, and should. It's JMS damn it. I am sure that is what Jeff's thinking was)
 Wink

Yes - that is what I was thinking and the ONLY reason I added it.  I hope its good!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
-eric-
HR Vigilante

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »

To get back to the point of the thread - I don't know that I will get it.  But the whole concept of "What if Superman arrrived on Earth today?" - isn't that Smallville?
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »

To get back to the point of the thread - I don't know that I will get it.  But the whole concept of "What if Superman arrrived on Earth today?" - isn't that Smallville?

Good observation.  I'll still give it a shot.  Superman in DCU proper does nothing for me nowadays.  Hopefully it will be written with less teen angst than the tv show. Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 06:28:43 PM »

Never saw smallville and only once was tempted (when the JSA was on) so regardless, this will be fresh for me ... I hope.
  Undecided

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »

just curious...now that it's out...is it any good?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:45 AM »

I got it with my weekly shipment but haven't read it yet.  I'll report back after I read it this weekend.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:50 AM »

just curious...now that it's out...is it any good?
A hell of a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
 Embarrassed

Haven't read it yet, however ...

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »

It's enjoyable.

If you're looking for awe-inspiring, I don't believe you'll find it there.

You could be pessimistic and see it as yet another exploration of his origin story (coming out as Superman in Metropolis), but you do get to explore more of the thought and transition of an imperfect, scared young man becoming something, well, Super. Wink

Lois and Jimmy and Perry are great characters in this book. Just great.

Shane Davis' work does do well in spades with this presentation. Got enough detail and cross hatching to make Jim Lee proud, but without the ostentatious roid and glamous model look of Lee's work.

I'm glad for this effort and will gladly support these direct to trade efforts! My LCS owner said that the book was sold out of the first print and that DC reordered some shipping so that the LCS in need got more copies. Go DC!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS