HR Boards
December 14, 2017, 06:15:16 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the latest PREVIEWS!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oz!  (Read 4812 times)
DKnobius
HR Super Hero

Oz!
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »

Wonderful Wizard of Oz was fantastic. 

Marvelous has been even better I think.  Maybe it's because I was familiar with the source material for the Wizard, but as much as I enjoyed that series this second is doing so much more for me.

Anybody else reading it?

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »

Not reading it...but heard great things about it.  Is it a graphic translation of the source material?  Or is more like the continuing adventures of Oz type of thing?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »

I've been itching to pick it up.  Heard great things about it also.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
DKnobius
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 06:13:33 AM »

It's a graphic translation of the source material.  Skottie Young's art is so fitting for these stories it's ridiculous.  Every issue so far has been really fun to read.  Wizard was one of those that I picked up because I figured it would be cool to sit down with my daughter and read, but it ended up being so good.  And there hasn't been a drop off in Land.  It's cosistently top quality.  Just a fun read.

Wizard has been collected, and the single issues might be hard to find.

But I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »

Unfortunately, the HC is between $25 to $30 buckaroos.  I'm hopeing a TPB will come out with a cheaper price.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
DKnobius
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:57:32 AM »

Yeah that is the downside of it the HC is rather expensive.  And I'm not sure how easy it would be to track down the singles.  I think my LCS has the last 3 or 4 of Wizard, and maybe a couple of Land, but I haven't seen the entire collection anywhere around here.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »

Unfortunately, the HC is between $25 to $30 buckaroos.  I'm hopeing a TPB will come out with a cheaper price.

Yep, that's what I am waiting on.

Can't wait to see Young's art in this book. Well, I guess I can wait as that is what I am doing.
 Grin
DKnobius
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Wizard-Oz-Graphic-Novel/dp/0785129219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267556507&sr=8-1

Amazon has the HC for $20 bucks now.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Wizard-Oz-Graphic-Novel/dp/0785129227/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267556507&sr=8-2

And the Softcover that looks like an end of March release for $13.50.

Grin

HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »

There's no way in hell that anyone, and I mean anyone should pay full price for anything, and I mean anything.  Only those who subscribe to the gimme, gimme, now, now mentality are susceptible to paying top dollar.  Save a few bucks over the course of buying a few books, frees up more $ for more books, videogames, fast food.......

As Ed was good enough to point out, Amazon is my preferred choice on many occasions.  They are typically 30-50% or more off cover, and they don't charge me sales tax.  Shipping is normally free if your order totals up to $25, but I've been lucky enough to sign up for the 3 month trials of Amazon Prime they have occasionally, where there are no minimums with free 2 day shipping.

Signed,
big amazon shopper

Now back to the Oz discussion!

You mentioned you read it to your daughter.....How did she like it?  My daughter is 3, but has shown a lot of interest in the comics I read....maybe this is something I could read to her in bed later on down the line!

DKnobius
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »

She really enjoyed it.  She's going to be 7 this month, but we read it together as it came out.   Grin

Of course she's already working on filling up her own shortbox too.  So I got her hooked on comics early.

HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »

The writer for Oz is gonna be signing at a local shop 5 minutes from my house for Free Comic Book Day......I may pay him a visit, and pick up the HC of the first Oz series!

Eric Shanower (Wonderful Wizard/Marvelous Land of Oz; Age of Bronze)
will be appearing at Comic Madness from 1 PM to 4 PM on Saturday, May 1 for Free Comic Book Day.

Comic Madness
12345 Mountain Ave., Suite J
Chino, CA. 91710
phone 909-590-5949

DKnobius
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:54 AM »

That's cool G!  Did you get a chance to meet Eric?

I'm going to meet Skottie at Heroes Con in Charlotte this year. 

Another great issue of Marvelous Land this week. 

I hope these guys work on this series of books for a really really long time.  Or at least until they convert them all.   Grin

HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »

That's cool G!  Did you get a chance to meet Eric?

I'm going to meet Skottie at Heroes Con in Charlotte this year. 

Another great issue of Marvelous Land this week. 

I hope these guys work on this series of books for a really really long time.  Or at least until they convert them all.   Grin

I did meet Eric, and he was nice enough to sign my Oz hardcover, and draw a simple scarecrow sketch inside.  I posted a picture of it in the Free comic day thread under the Mega Forum heading.  Skottie is a regular at San Diego Comic-con, and I've met him on a couple occasions, so I will also stop by and offer a little praise for this excellent title.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »

So I finished the Trade on this and agree that it's pretty good.  I see that the movie deviated from the source material.

How is the next installment?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS