HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:34:17 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spider-Man Thread  (Read 53682 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »

Coming out this Wednesday, February 23rd...

Amazing Spider-Man 655

Awakening: Part 1 - Written by DAN SLOTT Art & Cover by MARCOS MARTIN

This February may be the shortest month of the year, but this time it's the BIGGEST month for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN! 'Awakening' We can't tell you what's in this issue without spoiling the end of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #654. But we can say this: Marcos Martin returns to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in a full-length 30 page story that will haunt you. As the fallout of recent events continues to rock Peter Parker's world, he makes a choice-- a promise-- that even he might not be able to fulfill... 40 PGS./Rated A Cover price $3.99.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »

so...what do you all think of the changes going on in spideys life...we've seen some major changes in the past few months that are really shaking things up.

PP life has been on a real upswing since Big Time started...new high paying job with the flexibility to be spidey as needed, new girlfriend that is on his level intelectually and a new high end appartment.  plus the support of not 1 but 3 super teams.

but we all know that is not going to last (the old parker luck) and the last few issues have certainly started poking holes in this new direction.

so...how do you fell about what has happened with his spidey sense?...good/bad...I'm finding it very interesting and Slott is really playing up how this effects spidey day to day activities.

how about Marla and the rest of the Jameson clan?

The new suits and gadgets...finally seeing PP as the briliant scientist we all knew he was but haven't really seen in 20+ yrs

Things are really churning and in my opinion in a very good way.

your thoughts?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »

Other than the pacing problems I have with Slott, when it comes to his dialog (which is glaring at times), I am having fun with ole Pete.

I like his new job and I think it is about time he went in that direction. I do like how Slott gave him an out, as far as how much time he has to stay at work, in this new "work when you want" atmosphere. One less thing Pete has to try and explain.

Glad to see Jameson being anti Spider-Man again. not that they were ever close buddies, but with this new development with Marla, it puts the tension back in. (Although I think Pete is getting a little too preachy with the "no one will ever die when I'm around" aspect.

Losing his spidey sense, again, is always a nice return of flavor for me. Not that I want Spidey without it permanently, oh no, but it is one plot device I never seem to get tired of, even though it is a tired plot device.
 Grin

With Reeds (slight FF spoiler) new suit fiber, it also eliminates Petes constant need to change suits. His new one can become whatever look he desires.

Overall really enjoying Spidey again. I just wish Slott would slow down a little and stop cramming panels with run-on dialog.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »

Coming out tomorrow - June 1

Amazing Spider-Man #663

Infested Prelude tie-in - The Ghost of Jean DeWolff: Part 1 - Written by Dan Slott Penciled by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI Cover by FRANK CHO. ANTI-VENOM returns to help SPIDER-MAN wage war against MISTER NEGATIVE and his criminal empire... whether Spidey wants him to or not. And when an all-new WRAITH enters the fray, will she prove to be a friend or foe? Plus: From the pages of SECRET AVENGERS, a special guest appearance by SHANG-CHI, The Master of Kung Fu! PLUS: 'Infested' continues in...the lead-in to SPIDER-ISLAND 40 PGS./Rated A Cover price $3.99.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »

I really hate enjoying AMAZING. Not due to my past 'issues' with devil dealing, but from the sheer fact I am having fun reading about Peter again ... even though Slott just destroys pacing and dialog all to hell.

I mean, I get about half way through an issue, and I am enjoying it, but then I read some bull-shit 'Slott'istic pacing' that makes me roll my eyes and almost throw the book down. But I persevere and then, upon closing the book, I walk away excited for the next issue.

Really F'n confusing.
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16:33 PM »

I'm currently 3 issues back but I know exactly what you're talking about.  I was one of the brave (stupid?) ones who continued reading BND and found, no matter how much i hated how we got there, I was enjoying most of the storylines and the extended cast.  there were a few stinkers, but overall it was a good run with some very good books.  especially towards the end...Gauntlet into Kravens return were very well done.

Anyway, Still enjoying S-M and i believe I am finally over the "M" thing.   
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »

Jeez, I am tired of going back and forth on this title. I swear, my thoughts seem to change from panel to panel.

"Cool, that is the Pete I know"
to
"What? Come on, Slott! Really?"

Still behind a few issues (I thought going to monthly would help, but it has seemed to hinder), so I just read the Secret Six issues. Started out really fun but I just couldn't get past what the six were doing. What was the idea to this attack? What was the thinking behind dressing up (illusion) like pirates to accomplish the goal? Yes, it was fun and had witty banter, almost too much, but it seemed to be pointless. Just seemed to 1972'ish to me. Nothing really wrong with it, I just don't think I am the person to read these.

If it wasn't for the upcoming Infestation or Spider Island arc, I think I would just ship now, but having Ramos draw a Spidey mini-event is just keeping me glued to this title. I love Ramos on Spidey. One of those times that the artist just fits the title so perfectly. Would I want to see Ramos on Daredevil or Cap? No. But on Amazing, he is amazing. Once Ramos leaves, I believe I am gone as well. I have Spidey in Avengers and soon in his new AVENGING SPIDER-MAN title to get me by.
(Really looking forward to the AVENGING (Marvel Team-Up) SPIDER-MAN)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »

Dropping this book again. I finally figured out my thoughts on Slott. I love his ideas and where he wants to take me, I just don't like how he gets me there. And now, we have ... (SPOILER) ... voice activated web shooters?
 Roll Eyes

I will have the other Spider book in a few

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 05:27:39 AM »

I am so behind on this book that it isn't even funny. I'm halfway through Origin of the Species for Parker's sake!

I hope to get caught up by the 2012.  Cheesy

I will say this though. Paul Azaceta is quite possibly the world's worst Amazing Spider-Man artist I've seen in at least decade! I'd enjoy this arc a whole lot more if his finished art didn't look like thumbnail sketches! Angry

HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 09:50:28 PM »

ASM #648
-------------

BIG TIME.

Sure, looks like anyone wanting to (thinking about) getting back on Spidey, this is the best book to do it. Not a total refresh, but certainly a 'okay, lets regroup'.

Love the new job, love the brief 'here is everyone you really need to know' and Ramos is good on this title, but I didn't like the fart reference, as I find that being below Jessica to say and that put a blemish on an otherwise good read.

Good 'start' for the new writer, who has a lot to do to make me like his work ... never been a fan, but I am trying.

I've been catching up with my backlog of Webhead comics, and three issues into "Big Time" has renewed my interest in Spidey!  I'm loving the direction, and Slott is breathing new life into a once stagnant title for me.  Horizon Labs is a good fit, and I like how Black Cat is trying to increase her stock for Avengers membership.   Ramos is perfect on this title, but I wish he could draw Phil Urich a lot different from Peter Parker.  Except for the eye color, they almost look alike in the panels!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 01:05:57 PM »

Your art critique is noted and understood, there Glenn.

I just get ... Slott ... man ... he just confounds me. I do, I keep feeling like Captain Kirk crying to Khan after reading Amazing. I close that last page, ball up both fist, tilt my head back and just scream his name -
"SLOTT ...SLOTT ... SLOTT ... Slott"

He gets me so excited and then loses me. Really it is something I have never experienced as a comic reader. Sure I have had writers that I can't enjoy (You guys know of my big 3), but I have never had a writer that I really enjoy one page and then can't take on the next page, only to find the process repeat itself on the next few pages.
 Angry

I can take no-more. I am out. Just out of frustration as I do, honestly enjoy what he is doing, just not how.
(Verbal web-shooters? Pah-Lease)
 Roll Eyes

HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »

Slowly getting caught up....just finished the Revenge of the Spider-Slayers storyline....and I'm loved every minute of it.

I like the artwork a lot.  I always thought Stefano Caselli would be a good fit for Amazing Spider-Man after seeing his stuff on Secret Warriors.

Slott hasn't lost me yet....when should I brace myself Perry?

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »

dont brace yourself for anything, just read and enjoy as it unfolds.  Personally I am enjoying this book thoroughly.  Are they some missteps, sure but it is better than alot of BND and far better then the lead up to "deal" that shall remain nameless Smiley

Peter is back to being smart and funny, using his brain to invent new gadgets to help him complete his mission while juggling work and a girlfriend.

HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »

dont brace yourself for anything, just read and enjoy as it unfolds.  Personally I am enjoying this book thoroughly.  Are they some missteps, sure but it is better than alot of BND and far better then the lead up to "deal" that shall remain nameless Smiley

Peter is back to being smart and funny, using his brain to invent new gadgets to help him complete his mission while juggling work and a girlfriend.

Glad to hear it Wringer.

I like this new Peter, but I did think it was funny that he asked Ben Grimm to hold off the bad guys while he goes back to the lab and whips up a "spider-sense jammer".  That's pretty much the extent I'll go to question weird story glitches....then I pretty much forget about it, and keep enjoying the story.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »

You should have NO trouble enjoying this Spider-Man.

I just can't take Slott's style of panel progression/timing and dialog (at times). I am acknowledging that the problem with this Peter is more on me than anything Slott is really doing wrong, as he is producing a very fun Spider-Man, but as soon as I really get into it, Slott does something that just irks the living hell out of me. Again, just me being anal.

I can't remember anything really bad story wise, other than Voice activated shooters, but it is more of a timing and dialog issue for me.

I battled the decision to drop it. Trust me, it wasn't easy, but I just dwell on shit too much.
 Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS