HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:08:24 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RE-READ...  (Read 20348 times)
troyfreund
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »

Just a thread for sharing those titles, regardless of publisher, that you want to remind people to go back and re-read, as they're just keen as heck...

-I'm re-reading the Inhumans limited-series by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee.  Beautifully moody artwork, skillful characterization and plotting by the writer--really, an exceptional series.  Love the issue that focuses on Triton--neat story behind a beautiful cover.  I know when I first encountered Jae Lee's artwork (HellShock, maybe? or a few issues of X-Factor?) that it didn't do much for me, but since this series, I've really grown to dig it.    Paul Jenkins too--not a marquee writer, but the dude knows how to write--anyone read his Night Raven:  House of Cards for Marvel UK?  Real nice.

anyway, Inhumans was great, a really grand story and Black Bolt will always be a classic hero design.  Schweeet!
vicorintian
HR Vigilante

live from San Salvador!!

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »

mmmm Re-reads?
i just recently re-read all the issues i have of Priestīs Black Panther. i also wanna re-read Davidīs Captain Marvel, Robinsonīs Starman and Brian K. Vaughanīs Mystique!

also iīm reading it for the first time, but if you read it already, go check  the Walt Simonson Thor Series. Excellent!

yep, thats what i said!
Brindrod
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 04:42:30 AM »

also iīm reading it for the first time, but if you read it already, go check  the Walt Simonson Thor Series. Excellent!

I'll be making it a follow up feature to my Cosmic Odyssey piece but since you mentioned Simonson's Thor, I figued I would bring this up as a suggestion;

Orion.

Best Simonson work ever. Superior to what he did on Thor. Serious. Details to follow...
troyfreund
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:30:02 AM »

John Byrne's "Alpha Flight" 1-14
Just finished re-reading these today.  Not the best superhero stuff every, but really, pretty darn good and challenging to the standards of super-team books.  I really liked the whole 2-issue limited-cast stories, with the whole team getting together only once a year or so.  I also liked what a good job Byrne did at suggesting the vastness of Canada.  Try to imagine what the X-men would have been like if Cyclops and Emma lived in San Fran, Beast in Portland, Angel in Dallas, Wolverine in Detroit and Nightcrawler in Tampa.  I can kinda see why the series never did all that well, but I really like what Byrne did here.  Now, onto 15-28!  I got these all at a local used book-store, bagged and boarded, for around  $.99-1.25 each. Smiley
troyfreund
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:01:56 PM »

Wildstorm's "The Establishment", issues 1-4
Beautiful artwork from the talented Charlie Adlard, interesting characterization  from Ian Edginton and a neat tilt at the Britain of the Wildstorm universe.  Seems everybody was doing their version of The Authority, and Wildstorm had two it seems--The Monarchy and The Establishment.  I read both and enjoyed The Establishment much more.  Anywho, like the Byrne "Alpha Flight", I enjoyed these issues, as I did get a good sense of a different environment, other than a generic metropolis.  This was England, it was strange and it was good.  Shame the series only lasted 13 issues.
troyfreund
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »

Jack of Fables:  TPB 1 +3
Man, Fables has always been a good read, but now I just got done reading two Jack of Fables TPB (from my local library) and those Fables-folks sure know what they're doing.  I know this really isn't a re-read, but I thought it could fit in here...
Herr Mike
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »

Funny, I've been re-reading the hell out some comics lately -

Spider-Man: Reign - Man, this is a great story, maybe my favorite Spider-Man story of all time. The "It's Dark Knight!" criticisms seem even more off the mark after reading it again.

MK Spider-Man by Millar - Pretty good stuff. It's funny how few Spider-Man stories I'd recommend to new readers. This is one of them.

Spider-Man 30-36 - JMS' first arc, very good, I remember being excited at the time and it was justified. I still don't care for the totem angle, but I really like Ezekiel and Morlun as characters.

Iron Man (4th series) - I read 1-28. Great series, really. I thought so at the time but I was even more impressed reading it again. Extremis is very good, shame Ellis left after that. The Knaufs kept the momentum up, but "Execute Program" was hampered by some pretty sub-par art. The Civil War issues were good, and the WWH issues better than I remember. The Mandarin story was classic, De La Torre just knocked it out of the park. Brilliant work by all.

House of M - As far as events go, this worked far better than most. Bendis does a nice job juggling the characters, and the finale doesn't disappoint. I still think showing mutants as the next step in evolution is flat out stupid (especially Beast's assertion that somehow ALL mutants are smarter than humans...wtf?) but I could overlook it. "No more mutants" was a great idea, if they dropped the ball following it up. (They kill off all those lame mutants to streamline the X-universe and then add scores of new, even lamer X-Men? They lost me with that move.) Anyway, get off topic there. Good story, great art.

Civil War - My main complaint is that it just didn't last long enough. So many events are drug out far too long, going 12 issues when 6 would be fine, but there was so much potential for more with Civil War. But, it's another winner of an event, with magnificent art and a story that keeps the pages turning.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:32:13 PM by Herr Mike » Logged
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »

This weekend, while sitting at the cabin and sipping a tasty beverage, I'll be re-reading Watchmen.  I haven't read it in 10 years, but the movie got me excited about it again.  I'm all over this one!

Other than that, not much re-reading going on...I have been meaning to re-read PAD's Hulk series.  Just to remind myself what can be done with the character with a GOOD writer...
Neil Kapit
HR Vigilante

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 05:12:50 AM »

Iron Man (4th series) - I read 1-28. Great series, really. I thought so at the time but I was even more impressed reading it again. Extremis is very good, shame Ellis left after that. The Knaufs kept the momentum up, but "Execute Program" was hampered by some pretty sub-par art. The Civil War issues were good, and the WWH issues better than I remember. The Mandarin story was classic, De La Torre just knocked it out of the park. Brilliant work by all.

I strongly agree, and think that the Knaufs deserve quite a bit of credit for elevating Iron Man to A-List status. The movie's obviously the main reason why the character's risen in popularity, and Ellis and Granov's arc is one of the best standalone Iron Man stories, but the father and son writing team did a lot of work cementing the character's reputation as one of Marvel's best. Especially during Civil War, when almost every other writer seemed content to leave Tony as a modernized robber baron for their heroes to beat up.

My only real criticism is that they way overpowered the character, to the point where nothing short of Galactus could pose a threat. Already Tony Stark is a super-genius with incredibly tricked-out robot armor, but as of Execute Program, he also had technopathic powers like that annoying kid from Heroes, tremendously enhanced reflexes and thought speed, access to an organized network of satellite-mounted laser cannons ( though this was in Pak's World War Hulk, not the Knaufs' stories ), and a healing factor. The writers balanced it out by having Tony become paranoid and delusional trying to adapt to his new senses, but that meant Tony was only vulnerable as long as he was hallucinating.

If they'd just kept Extremis as an enhanced interface for the armor, it'd have been great, but the excess got to the point where the current Iron Man team is now going in the opposite direction ( i.e. a mentally impaired Tony in a downgraded armor, which also serves as his penance for his Civil War actions ).

troyfreund
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 11:29:59 PM »

Bendis and Gaydos' first volume of "Alias".  Dang, that's some great writing--the interrogation-room scene was just great.  Jessica Jones makes me feel funky inside. Smiley

Peter David's first volume of "Fallen Angel".  Great writing, art, characterization, locale....this book had it all.  Why the heck didn't it sell better?  Haven't touched the series since it switched publishers.  The painted art look just scared me off.
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 06:29:18 PM »

Re-reading Robinson/Harris' Starman in Omnibus form.......Still an excellent read after all these years.....

troyfreund
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »

just got done re-reading "100 Bullets"--what an opus!  Azzarello and Risso really made something beautiful with this title.  It was real fun re-reading this and seeing how Risso's artwork changed over the course of 100 issues.  I think Lono just kept getting more and more massive.  Also, Lono almost seemed comedic with the way he was double-crossed multiple times--by Graves (with the suitcase of $ in Miami), by Shepherd (with the marked bills leading to arrest and incarceration), any others I missed?  Again, greeaaat book, if you like writing you really have to pay attention to and artwork that doesn't just lay it all out for you.
troyfreund
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »

Just re-read a few of the Secret Invasion lead-up issues and....I'm reminded of how disappointing the outcome of Secret Invasion was.  All these issues, I mean TONS of issues, about how crafty the Skrulls were and then it all ended with Osborn and one shot and "hello, Dark Reign."  The whole Skrull stuff just seemed useless.  Anybody else feel this way?  Seems like it was a whole heck of a lot of build-up and no real pay-off, at least not as expected.

Also just got some "Primortals" in a Half-Price Books grab-bag.  A surprisingly neat take on the arrival of extra-terrestrials on Earth.  Did anyone else read this?  Is it worth tracking down the other back-issues? 
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »

I was left feeling 'nothing' after the Skrull invasion, and that is a bad thing. I wanted to feel anger. I wanted to feel joy. I wanted to feel .. anything. I felt nothing.

Another case of the idea and the result being better than the event.

I mean, I really like where everything in the MU has gone (and the results of each event) since M-Day, but have enjoyed none of the events that got us there.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »

Just re-read a few of the Secret Invasion lead-up issues and....I'm reminded of how disappointing the outcome of Secret Invasion was.  All these issues, I mean TONS of issues, about how crafty the Skrulls were and then it all ended with Osborn and one shot and "hello, Dark Reign."  The whole Skrull stuff just seemed useless.  Anybody else feel this way?  Seems like it was a whole heck of a lot of build-up and no real pay-off, at least not as expected.

Also just got some "Primortals" in a Half-Price Books grab-bag.  A surprisingly neat take on the arrival of extra-terrestrials on Earth.  Did anyone else read this?  Is it worth tracking down the other back-issues? 

So it goes with a lot mega-events these days.  Good build-up that fizzles out at the finish.  More often than not lately, I'm glad that it's over so that we can get on with the real storytelling.  Then I'm disappointed again when a few months later the seeds for the next crossover is mentioned somehow in a story.

I vaguely remember the 1st issue of Primortals....was that the book that was conceived by Leonard Nimoy?  I don't recall it lasting very long....I'm sure you can hunt down the remaining issues in a quarter bin.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS