HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:12:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Uncanny X-Men thread  (Read 30526 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »

Just added UNCANNY to my pull (and requested issues 535 and 536 be added to my order)

..........  Angry .............

(See, Jeff? This is why I don't like to read about Mutants. Before long I will have to add that damn X-FORCE title and then it all goes to shit.
 Angry

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »

Press Release

X-MEN: SCHISM Brings UNCANNY X-MEN To An End!

"All things must come an end...even for the X-Men, and this October fans will bear witness the end of an era as Uncanny X-Men #544 concludes the long running series. It’s all come to this! Years in the making, the seeds of dissent finally bear fruit as the events of X-Men Schism tear the X-Men and the Marvel Universe apart! When the dust settles, the state of mutantkind will irreparably be changed forever. Don’t miss the historic final issue of the longest running X-Men title this October, in Uncanny X-Men #544!"
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »

Ok - That pisses me off.  I mean really pisses me off.  There is no need to end this, the only Marvel book still running from its original start.  Especially since we all know they'll launch some other Uncanny X-Men title with a new #1 and then RE-NUMBER IT WHEN IT GETS TO THE MONTH THAT ISSUE 600 WOULD HAVE COME OUT.

Here's a thought - how about write good stories and hire great artists to sell books?Huh  If you have to constantly go to a marketing gimmick then your product must be crap.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE THIS!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »

Jeff, you are absolutely correct. A new number #1 and a renumbering in time for the big 6-0-0.

I have always been curious why DC didn't do the same with the original JLA series. It's had half a dozen runs and should be well be past 300 or 400 issues by now.

And now we get 52+ brand new #1's Huh? that is a HUGE marketing ploy.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »

Yep, we guessed it! A new #1 the very next month.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 01:47:28 AM »

Ugh.  That art sucks.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »

Starting off with new number ones does indeed suck for us, the buyers of a title, but you can't just push aside the money generated from having that "#1" on the cover. Sales can jump 100% easily when a relaunch or renumbering occurs. For business's to not use that proven sales technique would be crazy.

When you are trying to increase readership (and thus increase profit) what do you do? You try to get more readers. A way to do that is to give them the perfect "jumping on point" and nothing says that like a big ole number 1 in the corner. As far as pissing off the 'current readers', such as us, they have us already. We will buy those number ones of our favorite titles and/or characters because they are our favorite titles and/or characters, but providing an entry point is a sound way to pull the readers they don't already have into giving 'your' title and/or character a try.

I don't like it, but I just can't blame a business that is doing no real harm to animals or people, for trying to make money.

I take over Marvel or DC ... I do 7, 10 or 12 issue runs on everything. EVERYTHING. As soon as an arc is over ... BAM ...
LOOKY, LOOKY ... A NEW NUMBER ONE !!!!

Look at LOCKE & KEY. A perfect example of how having a continuing story reset itself in chapters, can still be an effective and enjoyable product.

You are still going to get the readers you already have and you may ... may gain one or two more that happen to walk into a LCS, but with Barnes & Noble now taking monthlies and putting them back on the shelf (YAY), there is an even a better chance for grabbing new readers, getting those customers to feel a little at ease grabbing an issue #1 entry point, rather than a book with 587 past issues of potential confusion to muddle through. Yes, I know, it is no different as the stories still have the history behind them, so anyone picking up a new, shiny number one is still going to have a learning curve, but if it is really no different, then why should we, the ones that know how fun comics can be, worry about what number is on the issue?

Again, I don't like the renumbering, but I certainly understand it. I think this really pisses off the collectors more than the readers. That is not a jab at anyone  Smiley, I can understand why Jeff (and others) would like to see their runs stay as ... well ... runs. It is nice to look in those comic boxes and just start counting off issues without any breaks, I do get that, but for the guy that just likes to read stories with good art, characterization and dialog, the numbers are not that important.

And like Jeff said, it will return to it's "original" numbering as soon as this mini-event "SCHISM" is over.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS